NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-18, 05:29 PM   #11
WPrich
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
I second this! I have heard that it is a tough call between what tastes better, perch or walleye. I have not tried either. Sweet report Kevin! I still need to test those waters!
I've never tried walleye, but I've eaten quite a few perch and they're very good tasting for sure. It used to be EXCELLENT fishing for them around Azalea Rd. on the hooch and also the area immediately below Morgan falls dam for them not sure if it still is. My mom would take me after school in the 2000's when I was in middle/high school and we'd catch quite a few along with shellcrackers and bluegill and occasional stocker rainbow. Used to be an older fellow we saw nearly every Wednesday that would troll and cast rapalas and he always caught plenty perch and trout he'd show me on his way out.
WPrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 09:11 PM   #12
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Now my curiosity is peaked. If I catch him again, I am afraid he will meet the grease just so I can taste test him. I have eaten most every fresh water fish you can think of but have always thrown yellow perch back. I always saw them more of a junk fish for some reason. I guess it is because I normally catch them when I am targeting something else lol.

Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 10:04 PM   #13
WPrich
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Now my curiosity is peaked. If I catch him again, I am afraid he will meet the grease just so I can taste test him. I have eaten most every fresh water fish you can think of but have always thrown yellow perch back. I always saw them more of a junk fish for some reason. I guess it is because I normally catch them when I am targeting something else lol.
Your going to regret having ever thrown one back I guarantee it lol
Old 06-12-18, 07:03 AM   #14
3-wt
Native, formerly known as "Streamside Sam"

Great report...you caught some really nice fish Thatís a cool fly. Sometimes they like the flash, and thatís an excellent pattern.
Old 06-12-18, 12:49 PM   #15
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPrich View Post
I've never tried walleye, but I've eaten quite a few perch and they're very good tasting for sure. It used to be EXCELLENT fishing for them around Azalea Rd. on the hooch and also the area immediately below Morgan falls dam for them not sure if it still is. My mom would take me after school in the 2000's when I was in middle/high school and we'd catch quite a few along with shellcrackers and bluegill and occasional stocker rainbow. Used to be an older fellow we saw nearly every Wednesday that would troll and cast rapalas and he always caught plenty perch and trout he'd show me on his way out.
Rich what part of town did you grow up in? I remember seeing an old man do that exact same thing a lot through the 90's down there when I fished Azalea as a teen. FishMonger might be able to let us know if it is still any good for perch through there as he has the experience for that section of river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPrich View Post
Your going to regret having ever thrown one back I guarantee it lol
Agree on the regret. I never would have known until last year when some of the guys I worked with in Montana were absolutely raving about Yellow Perch cuz they were from Wisconsin. Definitely will have to let us know how they turn out Kevin!

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
-Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
-PH
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-18, 03:37 PM   #16
WPrich
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
Rich what part of town did you grow up in? I remember seeing an old man do that exact same thing a lot through the 90's down there when I fished Azalea as a teen. FishMonger might be able to let us know if it is still any good for perch through there as he has the experience for that section of river.
I grew up in Kirkwood, not much fishing was around there being in the city so we always had a bit of a drive to fish. My mom always picked me up from school except my junior and senior years, on some days she'd pick me up with the truck loaded up to hit the hooch or go down to West Point in the evenings.

Last edited by WPrich; 06-12-18 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-12-18, 04:41 PM   #17
Swimmer
Native

I grew up in Northern Iowa. From the time I was 10 years old (in 1954) my dad would throw me and our fishing gear into our 1950 Chevy and drive up to Mille Lacs lake in Minnesota to meet his buddies there. They would fish every day for Walleye and Perch but would throw the walleye back in the lake and keep the perch for an evening fish fry. After gorging ourselves on Perch, my dad and his friends would head into town for some much needed beer while I played every pinball machine in the joint. Later in the evening, they would all pile into the chevy and I would drive them back to camp. There was no need for a driver's license because one of his drinking buddies was the town sheriff. I asked my dad once why we threw the walleye back into the lake but ate the perch. He answered that it's always been that way and it always will be.
Old 06-12-18, 05:42 PM   #18
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
I grew up in Northern Iowa. From the time I was 10 years old (in 1954) my dad would throw me and our fishing gear into our 1950 Chevy and drive up to Mille Lacs lake in Minnesota to meet his buddies there. They would fish every day for Walleye and Perch but would throw the walleye back in the lake and keep the perch for an evening fish fry. After gorging ourselves on Perch, my dad and his friends would head into town for some much needed beer while I played every pinball machine in the joint. Later in the evening, they would all pile into the chevy and I would drive them back to camp. There was no need for a driver's license because one of his drinking buddies was the town sheriff. I asked my dad once why we threw the walleye back into the lake but ate the perch. He answered that it's always been that way and it always will be.
Sounds like life in the good ole days to me. My grandfather and I used to go dig our own worms and fish in a local spring fed creek and catch stumpknockers, redbellies, bluegill etc and then check our home made crawdad trap and take the crawdads and fish home for my grandmother to fry up and then we would eat them and watch the braves play and finish the meal off with some homemade peach ice cream that my grandfather had just made in the churn with peaches that we went and picked ourselves. Man I miss those days.

Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote