NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-18, 09:57 AM   #11
Trout Fear Me
Native

Congrats on the relocation! We need pictures to get us through the heat down here!!
Old 06-18-18, 11:08 PM   #12
Gillseeker
Native

As soon as I can figure out how to post pictures, I will. My go to river is the Owyhee which is right over the border in Oregon. About an hour or so away through farm country. I think the thing that strikes me most about this place is that there is literally nobody here. Last time I went fishing there I was one of about 3 people in a twelve mile stretch. They call Montana the Big Sky country but it's got nothing on Idaho. I live in the Treasure Valley which is comprises Boise. About 600,000 people in all. Just north of my house is absolutely nothing until you hit Canada which is about twelve hours away.

I have taken a huge pay cut to be here but I'd rather be poor here than rich in Atlanta. The crime rate is about zero. You see kids as young as 5 years old walking home alone from school. Nobody bats an eye. My kids ride their bikes along the Greenbelt from my house to downtown Boise 3-4 times a week. It's a 33 mile round trip along the Boise River. We don't worry about them at all. They said it's like being released from prison to be here.

Another thing is that people don't litter. It is rare to see garbage on the roads. If you do, it's usually something that has blown out of a truck. The place is super clean. Lots of free things to do here, too.

The biggest thing to get used to is the weather. You had more snow in Georgia than we had here last winter. Yesterday, it didn't break 60. 59 degrees in June! Today it was 69 and sunny Tomorrow it will be 80. Humidity is near zero so even in July, when it breaks 100 for about 2 weeks, so long as you are in the shade you can stay outside all day long. We pretty much live on our back deck and it is not uncommon to see TV's on people's back porches. In the Spring and Summer, the sun comes up around 5AM and goes down some time between 10 and 10:30. Lots of time to be outside.

EVERYBODY has an RV. I live right off the road that leads to the mountains and it is bumper to bumper on Friday afternoons headed north and on Sunday evenings headed south. Behind the RV's are usually trucks filled with ATV's, UTV's, and Snow Machines. If you see an nice house, it usually has a cheap car in the driveway but when you open the garage it is full of bikes, kayaks, and recreational vehicles. People work to live, not live to work.

If the speed limit is 55, that's about as fast as you'll see people go. Usually it's slower. Nobody is in a real hurry around here. Everyone is friendly and it is about as red a state as you can get. Pretty much everyone goes to church on Sunday.

There are bicycles EVERYWHERE. We all ride into the city where I live and have dinner, then ride them home. We have bikes for the street and bikes for the trails. I live right beside a world class mountain bike park. My kids are there every day after school. The Foothills surround the city and are full of trails and wildlife. The largest herd of elk in North America is about ten minutes from my door. Last year, my son killed a 6X6 and we JUST TODAY bought our first meat of the year from the grocery store. We had 285 lbs of elk in the freezer. I got me a couple of Jackson Big Rigs and we fill them full of steelhead and trout from the local, CLEAN rivers.

Anyway, I do miss talking and fishing with you fellas. The door is always open if you head this way.
Old 06-18-18, 11:29 PM   #13
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

Sounds like a great life Dan. Idaho's population is 1.7 million. Georgia is somewhere north of 10 million. Makes a big difference especially when about half of that is in metro Atlanta alone. Looking forward to some photo's.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-18, 12:31 AM   #14
troutbum69
Native

I have to ask, where'd you live in Georgia?

My only advice is build a boat. Or buy one. Either way floating through swift water is a serene experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-18, 09:26 AM   #15
Gillseeker
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum69 View Post
I have to ask, where'd you live in Georgia?

My only advice is build a boat. Or buy one. Either way floating through swift water is a serene experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iím originally from Atlanta.

I have a very nice fishing kayak. The waters here move a bit faster than back east. Iím a patient fisherman so being able to anchor down and fish a spot is nice to me. I have a few buddies here with drift boats and theyíve been threatening to take me out.
Old 06-19-18, 09:29 AM   #16
Gillseeker
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ole Man View Post
Hey Dan---we hate you. Wondered what happened to you. If you recall NGTO member name Warmouth (Carl Warmouth), he did the same thing. He's in Boise, Id and at last report was the Dean of Students at The Ambrose School there. He posted some of his Idaho fishing photo's maybe last year. Sounds like you are happy with the move. Post some pix when you reel em in.
Jack
I remember him. As s matter of fact, a friend of mine who has kids at the Ambrose School told me about his buddy from Georgia. Nice to have a connection. Ambrose is a very, very good school.
Old 06-19-18, 01:54 PM   #17
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

Carl was the one that he and his dad built a drift boat together and someone stole it. Down around Callaway Gardens I believe --when Carl maybe lived or guided there. Never got it back I think. Jimmy Harris / Unicoi Outfitters had one stolen out of Blueridge when he owned the shop there. Never retrieved it either.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-18, 03:05 PM   #18
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Carl had a thread in the boating forum of a drifter he was doing a restore on. I don't know if he ever finished it.Maybe he'll be back on here before too long.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote