NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-18, 09:07 AM   #1
eyeflyfish
Native

Default Basalt river/Snowmass

I have been invited to spend some time near Snowmass on the Basalt river. Any suggestions on guides and rivers would be greatly appreciated. The trip is likely to be in June or Late July.
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 03:23 PM   #2
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Basalt Area

Let's Review:

Basalt, CO
Plenty of time to fish
Late June or early July

Summary: I HATE YOU!

Okay, now I feel better. So to find fish, look for water and fish there. Okay, maybe not quite that simple but you will be in prime territory for fishing. You have all the creeks and rivers (Maroon Creek/Frying Pan/Roaring Fork) in the Aspen/Basalt area and on down the valley to Glenwood Springs. That time of year head up to Redstone and hike into some remote waters. I do not have a shop to recommend but I think there is one in Basalt and I am certain someone here will recall the name.

You did not mention how long you would be in the area but if for a week or more you should make a choice once you arrive. The choice is focusing on one area and touch all the waters, or roam around to a different river every day. Do note that there is typically a lot of windshield time between streams in the mountain west.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 03:58 PM   #3
eyeflyfish
Native

We will probably have only 3-4 days (8-10 hours each day) for fishing. We are going to try and work in 30-60 minutes each morning on work stuff. Thanks for the info.
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 07:09 PM   #4
fredw
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
Let's Review:

I do not have a shop to recommend but I think there is one in Basalt and I am certain someone here will recall the name.
Frying Pan Anglers in Basalt for your fly shop/guide needs.
fredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 01:29 PM   #5
raptor
Native

Besides the shop in Basalt which is on-the-way to the frying pan, I like Alpine Anglers in Carbondale. I think they also have a shop in Glennwood Springs as well. Carbondale is just down the road a bit from Basalt and near a lot of great water. You will be in a spectacular area during a great time of the year.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 04:18 PM   #6
fishndoc
Native

Snowmass is on the Roaring Fork River. The Fryingpan joins the Fork just downstream in the town of Basalt.
Fryingpan Anglers is the old Roy Palm shop John Gierach used to write about. Roy no longer owns the shop, but still has his "spread" on a sweet stretch of the Fryingpan. My wife and I actually met him on a trip out there last year; he's big as a house.
If you want to wade fish, Eric at FPA is the guy to use. Another guide there, Patrick, does a unique guided trip: on bicycle rolling down the paved bike trail that runs alongside the Roaring Fork from Aspen all the way down to Gleenwood.

The other flyshop in town is Taylor Creek, also good guys. Both shops have good web sites and archives of stream reports so you can read reports for your weeks there back over several years. Give you some ideas on flies to tie.

If I ever move away from north Georgia, it will be to either Carbondale or Basalt.
fishndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 09:50 AM   #7
bamboo rod maker
Stocker

Default frying pan

You be there for some good dry fly fishing, pink PMD and BWO hatch. I use to get them at Taylor Creek drive up towards Reudi resivoir and start fishing. Be careful along the river in places there is alot of private property along the way. My favorite river when I lived out there.
Fred
bamboo rod maker is offline   Reply With Quote