NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-18, 08:20 PM   #1
jfgros01
Native

Default Weekend getaway, Dukes happenstance.

Wife and I are expecting our first child in July and we both have been feeling like we needed a break from baby related activities. It was both of our birthdays this past week, and we decided do take a short weekend trip to the mountains, renting a cabin outside Helen. This was our last childless trip, so we wanted to make it as laid back and relaxing as possible. We spent the weekend doing nothing more than reading, practicing plant ID (me) and taking short, 7month pregnant lady appropriate hikes in the mountains with our catahoula. The hikes were beautiful, the mountains were on fire with our native Oconee azaleas.

Our checkout time was 11:00 and we both decided that a couple of cones from mountain fresh creamery in Cleveland would end our trip perfectly. Since it opened at 1:00, I suggested we go check out Smithgall woods, knowing that the road to the cabins has some nice, easy to see waterfalls. As we pull up she suggested that I go fishing for a little while. After explaining the reservation process she says “well, you might as well see if there’s any openings! Wouldn’t you know, at 11:30 there’s was a spot open for the morning and I happily took it.

I knew I left my waders and boots, and main fly boxes at home but I was able to throw together a setup with a couple of my “ugly tied flys”. Now I’m newer to fishing, and my wife had never gone with me before, so I was nervous that I wouldn’t have anything to show for all my late night tying sessions and all day blue line adventures. Pregnant wife and dog in tow I wet waded section 1, choosing only the easy access spots so she could sit and enjoy the water while I fished. We ended up having a a great 1.5 hours. Net two, hooked into at least 6 more, one of which was a monster lurking just past the culvert on S1. Not sure why i kept losing them, but man those two fish I net will definitely be my favorite for a long time. Never had so much fun fishing, I can’t wait until we can do it as a family of 4. Truly amazed at how much she was able to do at 7mo pregnant.
Now I’m typically a solo fisher so here’s some rare pictures of me fishing:

Curious Catahoula:

Net this little fatty

Wife and pup

We ALL ended up getting some ice cream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jfgros01; 04-30-18 at 01:35 AM.
jfgros01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-18, 08:15 AM   #2
csharp1171
Native

Looks like fun was had by all. The creek was flowing pretty good this weekend with the recent rains. I was there for the turkey hunt and was very tempted to bring my pole and fish the upper sections that were closed for the hunt but decided to follow the rules.
csharp1171 is offline   Reply With Quote