NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-18, 05:41 PM   #1
wannabetroutmaster
Stocker

Default Jimmy Jacobs book series

I've read several times in several places while doing my trout research on the internet about a book by Jimmy Jacobs "Trout fishing in North Georgia". Then my SMART phone began showing amazon ads for the book. I was in no rush and was just gonna wait til a birthday or Christmas.

Well I came back home to my folks place for the summer down in south GA. My third or fourth night there, sitting in my usual spot on my usual couch watching my same tv. There's always been a collection of books and old Xbox games that were only a collection of dust. I glanced up and if it would have been a snake, it would have bit me. I found his books on trout fishing in North Ga and bass fishing.

First, I would like to recommend anyone that did not grow up in north ga mountains, get the book right now. Except make sure to get the 4th edition. As I just have the 2nd from 96' and it is actually signed by Jimmy Jacobs in 99'.

I am ordering the latest edition for sure, but was curious if anyone has read his books on tailwater fishing and another on trout fishing all of Appalachia. Really wanted some reviews on those two. I would really like his book on saltwater in the Atlantic coast, but my saltwater fishing is done in the gulf.

Appreciate any help on those two books, guys and happy fishing
wannabetroutmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 06:30 PM   #2
trout1980
Native

His tailwater book is excellent
trout1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 08:20 PM   #3
wannabetroutmaster
Stocker

I don't really care what he does in his free time. That's his business. I just know that unless his book is full of fibs, then his writings seem to be a helpful tool.

My only concern for the tailwaters book is that it is 25 years old. A lot can chance in the trout world in 25 years, but the basics and concepts have to still apply.
wannabetroutmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 04:57 PM   #4
buckman1
Native

2 thumbs up for Jimmy Jacobs books!

Arguably, no one in our state has done more to build our constituency than he has through his writings... My $0.02...

Well, it’d be a toss up between his writings and when my buck brother and I fish without our shirts on in the Toccoa tw within sight of the 515 bridge. That’s a big picker upper for the constituency as well...
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 10:33 PM   #5
mudrun
Native

Jacob's Georgia book frequently obscures or omits key details of accessing some of the smaller streams, and I wonder if his intention is to weed out the greenhorns and faint of heart. For example, he mentions a controversial creek that was once easily accessible but now requires a struggle to access - and one of the access points he writes in his book for this creek is totally bonkers. I've been there before (as its on the way to other creeks) and the "trail" is a laurel-choked gorge full of berry thicket, snakes, and bears. Someone not committed would turn around ... someone who is committed would have topo maps, an alternate way in, and some other plan C. Ditto for his Warwoman write-up which gives reasonable guidance but fails to mention that six times out of ten the roads there will chew up anything other than high-clearance jeeps, and if a widowmaker falls while you're out there, you're walking back to Clayton to find someone with a chainsaw.

The line between constituency and exploitation always drives me to my copy of Desert Solitaire:
https://www.goodreads.com/work/quote...sert-solitaire

I try to choose waters that are at least a 1.5mi hike over rough country, where you have to drive past other good water first.

Haven't read the Southern Appalachia book ... I've fished in TN more than NC, I'm curious now what TN waters Jacobs puts in there. Heading north tomorrow!
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote