NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Rod Building
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-18, 10:18 AM   #1
Mog
Hall of Fame Member

Default 2wt, 10.5' Euro-nymph rod

I am making 2 of these rods for a neighbor and his son. Here is in process shot of #1. This is a great blank - Ultra high modulus, nano-resin, Toray carbon fiber. Might buy a couple of them if I can find them again.

Custom grip. Maple burl, double dyed green and blue, stabilized.

Simple reversing chevrons wrap.

Last edited by Swamp Angel; 06-04-18 at 01:02 PM.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-18, 10:24 AM   #2
Jakkbauer
Native

Your patience serves you well. Those are some incredible wraps. Highly skilled work man.
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-18, 12:10 PM   #3
Swamp Angel
President

Kurt, I absolutely love your wraps. That's yet another one that just pulls the eye into its depths. Would you post a bad one sometime just so we know you're not perfect?
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-18, 03:19 PM   #4
Mog
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post
Would you post a bad one sometime just so we know you're not perfect?
I'm gonna try hard not to do this.
But in reality, there have been a few I ended up putting the razor to. Usually the result of a layout error or a lapse in focus (which I never seem to catch early on, it shows up later when that missed thread becomes important). I did cut one off after completion because the colors just did not work for me.
Old 06-03-18, 03:22 PM   #5
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

That is unbelievably beautiful... Thanks for sharing Mog!
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-18, 12:56 PM   #6
wrmann
Stocker

Where did you get the blanks?
wrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 10:32 PM   #7
FlickNdip
Native

All I can say is, wow. Great looking rod!

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 05:23 PM   #8
Mog
Hall of Fame Member

Finished...

Chrome finish, single foot guides with green tie-down and 5 turn blue trim. I like single foot guides for these nymphing rods to minimize the weight of additional tie-down and epoxy on a double foot snake guides. All guides are secured with a 3 turn Forhan tie-down to ensure they aren't popped out on rough handling.

The rod is protected with an aluminum tube and black velvet rod sock.

This is a stabilized, double dyed (green and blue) maple burl grip with a natural maple burl seat insert finished with gloss acrylic finish. I experimented with this rod and made the grip purposely short (just over 6"). This makes it easy to keep fingertip directly on the blank.

This is a reversing chevron pattern using the same colors in both directions.

Label made for the rod. Adam is a lucky guy because this rod is a killer. I took it out fishing the other day at the dam. I like it a lot.
Old 07-01-18, 08:12 PM   #9
Swamp Angel
President

Kurt, THAT is a rod worthy of a president. I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about a president of the US. That is absotively, posilutely the single most beautiful rod my eyes have ever beheld! Freaking RIGHTEOUS!

You do realize that the king and potentate of Saudi Arabia would pay you well for this, right?

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 10:21 PM   #10
Mog
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post
You do realize that the king and potentate of Saudi Arabia would pay you well for this, right?
You think the high sheik knows how to high stick?