NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-14, 09:17 PM   #1
mattd
Native

Default Questions on jones bridge and settles

Tried fishing jones bridge and settles on Sunday instead of my usual at island ford. Got a couple questions for those who fish the areas a lot.

Settles

I went down the dirt road that takes you right under the bridge. The wading area seemed small and very shallow. Are there other places to wade besides the runs right above the bridge, perhaps further up or down the river from the bridge. If not it seemed like the best areas to fish where on the side opposite of the park. Is that correct?

Jones bridge

I went to the main Jones bridge park off east jones bridge road. It was absolutely packed, probably about 200 people playing in the water. I walked as far down the river using the paths as I could until I got to private property. I was still probably 500 yds up the river from the island and in the crowds. What is the best way to get above or below the island. Do you access it from the other side of the river? I assume it would be much less crowed than the entrance and runs near the park. Any other suggestion on avoiding the crowd?

Thanks guys
mattd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-14, 09:29 PM   #2
spottail2
Native

Default newbie.

jones bridge,better access is take holcolmb bridge rd across river,right(if coming from norcross)on barnwell and park in nps area if parking to be had.settles,their is wading downstream.before you get to bridge hang a left and follow the trail to creek.get in river there or continue on downstream and get in at any shoal.if you do not have a float tube,suggest you get 1.this time of year and with all the nutriantes in lake and river,the green slime is blooming and the wading gets tough.and the Hooch does not have many places with nice round rock bottom like a freestone or other eastern tailwaters.the rock is jagged and angled against current flow.
spottail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-14, 09:31 PM   #3
groundpounder
Hall of Fame Member, Former Director

I can help as far as Settles but not Jones Bridge. As far as going upstream of Settles if your just wading there isn't much use in going farther up above the shoals. Not much for wading except for a few spots inbetween a lot of walking. If you had a float tube you could hike up as far as you want and float back down. I've done this in the past and it can be productive. There is some good wading downstream of the bridge but you have to survey the scene and pick your spots as to where to get in and wade. There are a good many deep runs but there are several places to get in and wade. It's worth a hike down the path to take a look for yourself to decide if it's wade worthy for you.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 11:59 AM   #4
ATLColonial
Stocker

You can try and walk down to Judge's Shoals at Jones Bridge. Park at the 1st, smaller parking lot, and take the trail around the private property to where it meets up with the river again. The wading can be a little tricky because of the current, but there are some good shallow spots and deep channels with decent fish. Got a good 16 inch rainbow there last time.
ATLColonial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 12:18 AM   #5
kbrunson
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLColonial View Post
You can try and walk down to Judge's Shoals at Jones Bridge. Park at the 1st, smaller parking lot, and take the trail around the private property to where it meets up with the river again. The wading can be a little tricky because of the current, but there are some good shallow spots and deep channels with decent fish. Got a good 16 inch rainbow there last time.
Nah, no fish in that area. All the fish are up at the dam, or IF. Big ones, too!

; )
kbrunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 08:32 AM   #6
Baldy
Native

Jones Bridge from Gwinnett side-on weekends get there very early and leave by 10 and you will not be troubled by tubers. They used to open the gate at 7am at JB, I do not know if that still holds. Also, the best time to fish JB is during the winter months.
Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 02:10 PM   #7
ATLColonial
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrunson View Post
Nah, no fish in that area. All the fish are up at the dam, or IF. Big ones, too!

; )
Not sure if serious.......
ATLColonial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 02:47 PM   #8
jonnybads
Native

you can catch plenty of fish at JB during the summer, I know I do. just gotta know where to go. there's plenty to catch just down from the island thats easy to access.
jonnybads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 09:27 PM   #9
mattd
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybads View Post
you can catch plenty of fish at JB during the summer, I know I do. just gotta know where to go. there's plenty to catch just down from the island thats easy to access.
Thanks everyone for the advice!What is the best way to get to this easy access south of the island.
mattd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 12:10 AM   #10
dmbowen3
Stocker

Park in the last parking lot. Take the trail south about 200 or 300 yards south of the island. You will see plenty of access points. The water is only a few feet deep thru that whole area. There are fish everywhere. Start there and work your way up to the island. There are a ton of bows on east side and south of the island and a lot of small browns on the western side. If you see fish feeding on the surface on the western side just south of the island they are probably small browns.
dmbowen3 is offline   Reply With Quote