NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-14, 01:00 AM   #31
dmbowen3
Stocker

Thank you for requesting this info. Today I spoke with a park ranger and he stated he had responsibility for 13 or 18 parks. I inquired about the checking of licenses and parking passes. He stated that usually they check people's dash boards for parking permits and if someone parked with out a permit, they then call the DNR to report it and then a DNR agent will come to issue the tickets. I then asked why they don't do it themselves. He said something to the affect of, they sometime do, but with so many parks they can't stand around writing tickets. He went on to talk about how busy the river has been this summer and that they are overwhelmed. Unfortunately to me it sounds like the government is not willing to invest in hiring more individuals to patrol the parks, or our government officials are unaware of how short handed these agencies are. Hopefully these threads and our members can help increase the publics knowledge of our governments shortcomings in regards to the fish and game areas in Georgia.
dmbowen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 07:17 AM   #32
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbowen3 View Post
Thank you for requesting this info. Today I spoke with a park ranger and he stated he had responsibility for 13 or 18 parks. I inquired about the checking of licenses and parking passes. He stated that usually they check people's dash boards for parking permits and if someone parked with out a permit, they then call the DNR to report it and then a DNR agent will come to issue the tickets. I then asked why they don't do it themselves. He said something to the affect of, they sometime do, but with so many parks they can't stand around writing tickets. He went on to talk about how busy the river has been this summer and that they are overwhelmed. Unfortunately to me it sounds like the government is not willing to invest in hiring more individuals to patrol the parks, or our government officials are unaware of how short handed these agencies are. Hopefully these threads and our members can help increase the publics knowledge of our governments shortcomings in regards to the fish and game areas in Georgia.
Nailed it. It's an issue through out the country.

Sad thing is that there have been many different surveys showing that sportsman would be willing to pay higher license fees IF the increase would be stipulated for only WRD programs/employees.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 09:14 AM   #33
Swamp Angel
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntfish View Post

. . .there have been many different surveys showing that sportsman would be willing to pay higher license fees IF the increase would be stipulated for only WRD programs/employees.
That's one thing about sportsmen - you'll notice that those who are true sportsmen are also true conservationists and are very supportive of the management and protection of the wildlife resources of our various states. The biggest frustration with WRD and DNR entities is that they're not as well funded as we would like them to be. It would be nice to see the revenues generated by license fees and citations from one year to actually be held in part as a budget bonus for the following fiscal year for the state's wildlife departments.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 10:18 AM   #34
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

I think Watkins eluded to this earlier in the thread. Tag fees and licenses fees are thrown into the general state fund and who knows where that money goes.

Politicians love to spend money on projects. What projects do they spend money on? The ones that get them the most votes.

If you step back and think about how much tax revenue our sport creates, Can you imagine how much sales tax is generated through the BPS store not to mention BPS has to pay employment taxes ~10%+ (Fed and St) and the employees pay income taxes (Fed & St). BPS has to pay Corporate Tax. Now, we are getting another BPS store and a Cabella's Store in Georgia. Multiply that by all the other opportunities to spend money on our sport......

When you add up all the taxes we pay as individuals, income tax, sales tax, tag fees, license fees, parking fees, entrance fees, property & school tax, it equals about 50% of your income if not more.

I would like to see some of this tax/fee monies come back to support the conservation of our sport. I read an article they may need to create a "Bird Watching" license to create funds. The funds are already there.

Maybe if the Middle East could send our $1-Trillion back. We can accomplish the things that need attention. Didn't mean to rant. Our vote could be our strongest tool. We promote no politics in our organization but Politics has everything to do with our sport.

Last edited by Remoh; 08-19-14 at 10:24 AM.
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 12:40 PM   #35
DNR119
Native

I'll post what I wrote in another thread:

I have a tremendous amount of territory to cover and being the only DNR officer in the county, I cannot be everywhere at once. I need you guys to report these situations so that I know where to best direct my activity. Call the poacher hotline and you can get up to a $500 reward for reporting a violation of a creel limit. These waters are the same waters I fly fish on my days off so I don't take kindly to violations along the river in regards to trout fishing. I have a personal connection as well as a career connection with the preservation of this precious resource. These people are stealing our wildlife folks and I need your help to catch them. It's already been stated before the info you need to pass so I don't need to repeat it.

You all complaining about funding and lack of DNR officers... There is but one way to fix that: call the Ranger Hotline and report more incidents than I can keep up with. The powers that be add Rangers to places with high amounts of activity.

I will be specifically speaking of this topic at the next TU meeting on the 26th in Fulton county.
DNR119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 01:01 PM   #36
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR119 View Post
I'll post what I wrote in another thread:

I have a tremendous amount of territory to cover and being the only DNR officer in the county, I cannot be everywhere at once. I need you guys to report these situations so that I know where to best direct my activity. Call the poacher hotline and you can get up to a $500 reward for reporting a violation of a creel limit. These waters are the same waters I fly fish on my days off so I don't take kindly to violations along the river in regards to trout fishing. I have a personal connection as well as a career connection with the preservation of this precious resource. These people are stealing our wildlife folks and I need your help to catch them. It's already been stated before the info you need to pass so I don't need to repeat it.

You all complaining about funding and lack of DNR officers... There is but one way to fix that: call the Ranger Hotline and report more incidents than I can keep up with. The powers that be add Rangers to places with high amounts of activity.

I will be specifically speaking of this topic at the next TU meeting on the 26th in Fulton county.
Thanks....
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 07:49 PM   #37
watkins
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to watkins
Default DNR 119,

Thanks also from me. Numbers games are played by the governing folk @ all levels and from a simple black and white perspective they don't add up. Tom Watkins
watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 09:42 PM   #38
Middle Earth
Native

In my experience with the DNR, they always seem to be in the right place at the right time. In a lifetime of legally fishing and hunting in GA, I have only been checked three times. However, the only two times I was inadvertently breaking a regulation (I know. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.), I have been cited. I'm just glad the state troops don't have that same kind of luck with me.

Norman Maclean
Middle Earth is offline   Reply With Quote