NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-14, 12:40 PM   #31
Swamp Angel
President

Thanks, Mark (DNR119). Your input helps shed some light on the difficulties faced as well as how we may be able to nudge things in the right direction regarding enforcement coverage.

(Thanks for the post on the Facebook page as well.)

Hope to see you on the reever soon!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 12:42 PM   #32
mlewis
Hall of Fame Member Formerly Known as lewdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR119 View Post
I have a tremendous amount of territory to cover and being the only DNR officer in the county, I cannot be everywhere at once. I need you guys to report these situations so that I know where to best direct my activity. Call the poacher hotline and you can get up to a $500 reward for reporting a violation of a creel limit. These waters are the same waters I fly fish on my days off so I don't take kindly to violations along the river in regards to trout fishing. I have a personal connection as well as a career connection with the preservation of this precious resource. These people are stealing our wildlife folks and I need your help to catch them. It's already been stated before the info you need to pass so I don't need to repeat it.

You all complaining about funding and lack of DNR officers... There is but one way to fix that: call the Ranger Hotline and report more incidents than I can keep up with. The powers that be add Rangers to places with high amounts of activity.

I will be specifically speaking of this topic at the next TU meeting on the 26th in Fulton county.
Awesome. Thank you for the hard work and positive attitude.
mlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 12:51 PM   #33
DNR119
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post

Hope to see you on the reever soon!
I'll try not to blow by you and swamp your boat next time
DNR119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 12:53 PM   #34
Swamp Angel
President

Quote:
I'll try not to blow by you and swamp your boat next time
I won't complain if you do. I miss surfing every once in awhile. I could stand some practice.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 02:56 PM   #35
TroutJunkie
Stocker

I am glad this thread came up. I was unaware of the TIPS hotline but now it is programed into my contacts. Is that only for reporting creel limit violations or any sketchy activity at all?

Just a few weeks ago, I saw a man along the trail at JB with a machete chopping his way through the brush to get to the river to fish (pretty sure thats illegal). I really wanted to say something to him, but he had a machete... Wish I could have called that one in. Description: "Guy with the huge machete...."

I've spent a good bit of time on the hooch this year and have probably had my license checked 3-4 times at JB and another time at IF (always in the parking lot on my way in/out of the river). The rangers have always been very friendly about it. Maybe its just because I am a younger guy that they are inclined to check me. I just wish they were around to ask some of the characters I've seen fishing that I doubt have licenses.

I think this issue speaks to a bigger problem than lack of funding and resources for the DNR. It seems that a majority of people who use and enjoy the river have zero respect for it. The amount of trash people leave behind is sickening. Maybe I am a little cynical but I hold little hope that these people will change their ways.

Anyway, big thanks to Mark and all the DNR folks and LEOs who do their best to protect this resource. Also, big thanks to everyone who participates in the sweep the hooch. I can't imagine what the river would be like without y'all.
TroutJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 03:13 PM   #36
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutJunkie View Post
I am glad this thread came up. I was unaware of the TIPS hotline but now it is programed into my contacts. Is that only for reporting creel limit violations or any sketchy activity at all?
Whatever you think is sketchy, just call it in. Let the DNR sort it out. Here's a small sample of citations they issue:
  • Illegal use of atv on WMA
  • Killing of antlerless deer
  • Littering
  • OPERATE PWC ABOVE IDLE SPEED WITHIN 100' OF OBJECT IN THE WATER
  • Operate vessel 100' of object/shore above idle speed
  • Operating a personal watercraft during hours of darkness
  • Operating overloaded vessel
  • Operating vessel under the influence
  • Operating vessel w/improper lights
  • Operating vessel w/o lights during hrs. of darkness
  • Operating vessel with expired registration
  • Operating vessel with insufficient PFD
  • Operating vessel without CGA PFD's
  • Operating vessel without registration
  • Operating vessel without registration number displayed
  • Possession of illegally taken wildlife
  • Skiing between sunset and sunrise
  • Taking over the bag limit
  • Taking totally protected wildlife (game)
  • Towing skier between sunset and sunrise
  • Towing skier w/o PFD's
  • Towing skier with PWC without observer on board
  • Violating rules of the road
  • Hunting after privileges suspended
  • Hunting deer w/o fluorescent orange
  • Hunting without a license
  • Littering
  • Unlawful enticement of game
  • Blinding wildlife with lights
  • Fishing on PFA after sunset/before sunrise
  • Fishing w/o WMA stamp on PFA
  • Fishing without a license
  • Fishing without a Trout license

And a lot more...
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 03:18 PM   #37
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Call: 1-800-241-4113

Ranger Hotline Site

Find your county's conservation ranger

If you see suspicious activity on the Chattahoochee tailwater (including the Delayed Harvest section), you may want to first call the Law Enforcement group from the National Park Service at 678.538.1273. Follow that call with a call to the TIP line, and let them know you’ve called the park service, too.

If you have some excellent digital photographs of skullduggery in the field, or you prefer to wait until you get home to file a report, you can send an e-mail directly to Turn In Poachers to report poachers and polluters. Please provide a contact phone number so the Ranger could contact you if more information is needed. All information is strictly confidential and you can remain anonymous.

Last edited by Trout8myfly; 08-19-14 at 03:24 PM.
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 04:39 PM   #38
dmbowen3
Stocker

Quote:
I have a tremendous amount of territory to cover and being the only DNR officer in the county, I cannot be everywhere at once. I need you guys to report these situations so that I know where to best direct my activity. Call the poacher hotline and you can get up to a $500 reward for reporting a violation of a creel limit. These waters are the same waters I fly fish on my days off so I don't take kindly to violations along the river in regards to trout fishing. I have a personal connection as well as a career connection with the preservation of this precious resource. These people are stealing our wildlife folks and I need your help to catch them. It's already been stated before the info you need to pass so I don't need to repeat it.

You all complaining about funding and lack of DNR officers... There is but one way to fix that: call the Ranger Hotline and report more incidents than I can keep up with. The powers that be add Rangers to places with high amounts of activity.

I will be specifically speaking of this topic at the next TU meeting on the 26th in Fulton county.
Thank you for replying to this post. At the time I posted this thread I had no idea it would stir up so many opinions and facts. Please donít take offense to my original message, I was frustrated and venting. I didnít mean to point fingers at any particular type of fishermen, race, ethnicity, or government agency. I am just concerned about the lack of law enforcement on the river and the way people abuse this wonderful resource that most of us care so much about. There are a lot of positives that have come out of this discussion. I have saved the TIPS number in my phone and I will call anytime I see something that I suspect to be suspicious. Thank you for your efforts and hard work. I imagine the TIPS hotline will start to receive more calls in the next few weeks.
dmbowen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 04:47 PM   #39
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

It all starts with US, thanks for joining the thread Mark.

I am going through the data and the number of enforcement actions that have nothing to do with hunting or fishing is amazingly high.

Another less than curious item is the number of times MULTIPLE citations are given to an individual for the same event. (over a limit / wrong place / illegal gear)

Not funny are the number of felonies.....

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 04:55 PM   #40
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

Quote:

Thanks for that info DNR119

Last edited by Swamp Angel; 08-19-14 at 05:08 PM.
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote