NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Fishing Tips and Techniques
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-14, 09:19 AM   #1
The Crowe
Native

Default better knot for droppers

I usually fish my nymph rigs with the top as a actual dropper tag, but I went back and tried the ol' drop your achor fly off the back of the first fly's hook, had several fish pop my knot of my first fly when they took my anchor, I used a improved clinch ( maybe im not doing something right ). can you guys recommend a new knot for a dropper ?

thanks
Old 07-28-14, 09:25 AM   #2
Swamp Angel
President

I do like to tie an improved clinch knot to the bend of my first fly if I'm using a dropper, but I generally use a Davey Knot to tie the dropper fly to the tippet.

Keep in mind that wetting your tippet before cinching your dropper line to the bend of the hook on your first fly is more than just a good idea. If you seat the knot without having wet it to provide at least some lubrication, you run the risk of friction heating your tippet as you tighten it down on the hook bend, as well as making micro-abrasions in the tippet that can weaken your tippet strength at the know by 50% or more.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 10:16 AM   #3
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

I use a triple surgeons - super easy to tie and will hold on big fish and will let you change lead flies without retying everything. Slowstreamer has a good sticky on his 3-fly rig somewhere that shows the know.

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 10:20 AM   #4
The Crowe
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post
I do like to tie an improved clinch knot to the bend of my first fly if I'm using a dropper, but I generally use a Davey Knot to tie the dropper fly to the tippet.

Keep in mind that wetting your tippet before cinching your dropper line to the bend of the hook on your first fly is more than just a good idea. If you seat the knot without having wet it to provide at least some lubrication, you run the risk of friction heating your tippet as you tighten it down on the hook bend, as well as making micro-abrasions in the tippet that can weaken your tippet strength at the know by 50% or more.
thanks for the tips, I do realize know I probally did forget to lubricate it before I sinched them all down
Old 07-28-14, 10:23 AM   #5
FishnHuntnNut
Native

x2 on lubricating the knot. On 3 consecutive nice sized fish I lost both flies and pulled back pig tails indicating knot failure. I was tying an Orvis knot on the first fly and an improved clinch off the bend.

I went to a 10-12 twist, well lubricated improved clinch on both flies and did not break off another, but also did not hook anything epic either.

So frustrating-I was going to go back to the triple surgeons mentioned above. Not sure why I switched in the first place...just mixing it up.

I am sorry to disappoint you all, but the awesome mullet in my avatar is not real.
FishnHuntnNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 12:23 AM   #6
dmbowen3
Stocker

I recently switched to a triple surgeons knot for a dry dropper rig. I use to tie off the hook shank. On the first dropper fly i use another surgeon knot and tie on to the tag end and then I use the davy knot on the point fly. Davy knot is quick and east to tie without wasting a lot of tippet. By using this setup you can change all 3 flies within a minute or two. The only problem with this setup is you are limiting yourself to a certain depth in the water column. If you want to go deeper or shallower you have to re rig the bottom two flies. Either cutting off some tippet and tying another surgeons knot or cutting and adding tippet and tying 2 more surgeon knots. There might be a better way to do it, but I will let someone else address that. Regardless try the davy knot it is a great knot and I rarely break fish off.
dmbowen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 08:04 AM   #7
53flattie
Native

Another vote for the davy knot. It's super simple and doesn't use very much tippet material at all. I'm very much a novice and have yet to draw back a pig-tail due to knot failure.
53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 09:18 AM   #8
kbrunson
Native

Yeah, Davy here as well. It's the shizz. I still occasionally use a clinch knot when tying off the bend because it easier for me for some reason.
kbrunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 12:07 PM   #9
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

I have noticed some brands of tippet materials will not hold a cinch knot and other brands will.
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote