NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-11, 10:35 AM   #1
rocky1525
Native

Default How's the Hooch looking

Hey guys I was just wondering if any of you had a report o n the conditions of the Hooch below Buford Dam? I was planning to head over there in about an hour after the release stops. So I just wanted to check to see if the water has cleared up any?.
Thanks
Rocky

Isaiah 53: 5
But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.
rocky1525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-11, 12:28 PM   #2
Hollis
Native

That thing looked like chocolate milk again this morning. I have no idea what is going on with our beloved river. It has looked like a mocha somethin-a-chi-cha-la-tae for a long time. They are pushing a ton of water every day in evening and the lake is going down down down.

I personally think there is something going on that they aren't telling us about.
Old 10-26-11, 01:01 PM   #3
mlewis
Hall of Fame Member Formerly Known as lewdogg

Water this week actually is overall a lot lower for 24-hr release than it has been in months.

I'd say you'd be fine to fish as long as you're avoiding the new 2 small release per day schedule.
mlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-11, 05:07 PM   #4
Trouty Mouth
Native

I was out in the Bull Sluice area this last weekend, and it looked a little clearer than it has for some time. Looked today around mid day on the other side of Island Ford, and it looked (what I would say) OK - not great / not bad - at least you could see bottom in the 1-2' areas. I don't know whether this means the turnover is over, or we have just had a muddy / green September and more to come...
Trouty Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-11, 05:08 PM   #5
SlowStreamer
NGTO IT Support Team, Past CIO, Hall of Fame Member

I stopped by the lower pool this afternoon and it still looks like Pea soup

I wish it would hurry and clear up.
Old 10-26-11, 05:40 PM   #6
rocky1525
Native

Well it hasn't cleared up any... It actually looked worse today then it did a week ago, but the fishing was still good. It was a little hazzy trying to wade across, but just about every run gave up a fish. I stuck about a dozen and landed about half of them. The day ended with a nice brown that was pushing 16". I really need to get another waterproof camera to drag around...

Isaiah 53: 5
But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.
rocky1525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-11, 11:53 PM   #7
Klock
Stocker

The water at Jones and below has been fishing well...stained green, but producing. Not like the chocolate milk at the lower pool, although I've worked a flashy streamer with good luck up there last week.

Regarding the massive amounts of water, I think the ACE are not letting us in on the plan...as usual.
Old 10-28-11, 09:29 AM   #8
Trouty Mouth
Native

At Bull Sluice yesterday and frustrated that the pea soup is present again, and hard to see in most areas. What has been the past time where the water clears, in others experience? I am just about to "park" until the water clears. Carp are still out and about at Bull Sluice and some big pigs were up in the shallows yesterday with their backs out of the water rooting around. I got a few good casts on, but no results. I think that instead of a picture of a victory carp catch, I am going to take a picture of their rocket trails as they blast away in 6" of water!
Trouty Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-11, 03:06 PM   #9
dmbowen3
Stocker

Default Hooch

The water had been the same pea color for over a month now and I dont see it clearing up anytime soon. The AM water release ruins afternoon fishing at Jones Bridge. I have started fishing at Settles Bridge. It only takes a few hours for the water to subside. I went three days this week and landed close to 30 fish on nymphs, midge droppers, and Blue Wing Olives. I tied on a size 16 green zebra midge to help get it down quick and they are eating it up. Also, size 22 BWO in the shallows at dusk.
dmbowen3 is offline   Reply With Quote