NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-18, 12:11 PM   #1
toddwchandler
Stocker

Default New Year's Day On Amicalola River

I don't know how to fly fish and currently just use ultra light spinning gear, but I did take an opportunity to stop by the delayed harvest section of the Amicalola River on Monday to try my luck.

I started out parking at the Steel Bridge Road parking lot and waded in for a little while trying some inline spinners with no luck. I really didn't even see anything, but I don't have the trained eye that many of you have or probably know the best places to look.

After a little while, I moved on down to the parking lot off of Highway 53 and tried my luck in that area for a little while. There was a guy out there fly fishing who said that he'd had two make a run at his fly, but he hadn't caught anything.

I had never fished that area before and I look forward to going back and trying again when it warms up. It was 17 degrees Monday and I kept getting ice building up in the guides of my rod. It is a beautiful place though!
toddwchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 01:01 PM   #2
Trout "R"
NGTO Hall of Fame

Toddwchandler,
I hate it that you didn't put any fish to hand! But I can assure there are plenty of fish in both locations.
With it being so cold the fish won't chase much. You will have to hit them in the nose. I would suggest going to a tout magnet type lure. Get it down deep and work it slow.
Good luck!!!
Old 01-04-18, 01:46 PM   #3
toddwchandler
Stocker

Oh, I'll definitely give it another try.

I have only fished at Dicks Creek Falls and Wildcat Creek over the last few months, so it was really interesting to see water that was very different.

Amicalola was certainly much wider than anything I'm used to fishing and down near 53 there were some really deep holes.

Looking forward to trying again soon!
toddwchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 04:39 PM   #4
Kelly Hinson
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwchandler View Post
Oh, I'll definitely give it another try.

I have only fished at Dicks Creek Falls and Wildcat Creek over the last few months, so it was really interesting to see water that was very different.

Amicalola was certainly much wider than anything I'm used to fishing and down near 53 there were some really deep holes.

Looking forward to trying again soon!
Please be careful around the 53 bridge area when wading, rocks are not flat and can cause a good spill. Wading staff or stick would give you a leg up on balance as well.

Good luck as you pursue those trout in the AMI and I wish you great times and tight lines.

Kelly Hinson
Kelly Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 08:46 PM   #5
BeaverByte
Native

Default Otters

Also be careful of the otters that are around the 53 bridge area, saw 3 very large otters 2 weeks ago dining on some freshly stocked fish. Have also seen them around the Steele Bridge, but not this year.
Remember that we are messing with their dinner.
Also don't drag any Peeking Caddis deep, that won't work, even If you happen to use peacock herl as the casing
Old 01-05-18, 09:47 AM   #6
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout "R" View Post
I would suggest going to a tout magnet type lure. Get it down deep and work it slow.
This was going to be my suggestion as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwchandler View Post
Some of those holes are over your head, well, over my head anyway.

Just a reminder that if you fish in the winter, take a change of clothes with you in case of dunking. You get mighty cold walking up that trail back to the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverByte View Post
Also be careful of the otters that are around the 53 bridge area, saw 3 very large otters 2 weeks ago dining on some freshly stocked fish. Have also seen them around the Steele Bridge, but not this year.
A bit anxious around the river mammals after that run in with the beaver a few years back, eh?
Old 01-06-18, 03:02 PM   #7
NPuffer
Native

anyone fished it lately? thinking of going tomorrow
NPuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-18, 04:35 PM   #8
richf7
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout "R" View Post
Toddwchandler,
I hate it that you didn't put any fish to hand! But I can assure there are plenty of fish in both locations.
With it being so cold the fish won't chase much. You will have to hit them in the nose. I would suggest going to a tout magnet type lure. Get it down deep and work it slow.
Good luck!!!
Iíve never tried a trout magnet and just started reading about it...looks like the common method is suspending it a foot or so beneath a very small bobber and casting it upstream.

Any info on using it would be appreciated. Stay warm!
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote