NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Rod Building
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-17, 05:40 AM   #1
splatek16

Default fixing/replacing rod section

Hi all,

I have zero knowledge of building rods, but I recently broke the trip off one of the two sections of a small stream rod. It's fiberglass and I was wondering how difficult/expensive it is to make a new section for this rod? It's a cheap Eagle Claw and I could just buy a new one, but I also was toying with the idea of making the upper section a little lighter and a little longer.

Thanks for any ideas or help.
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 09:14 AM   #2
iso1600
Native

I have never built a rod, but for the time/money/equipment needed to repair yours (since you likely don't have any of the tools/stuff already), it would 100% be cheaper to just replace and/or upgrade.
Old 07-17-17, 01:04 PM   #3
nielson
Native

To pile on to what iso1600 had to say, what you want to do would be very difficult and expensive compared to the cost of the rod assuming you're talking about one of the newer $30 butt-over-tip Eagle Claws.

However, if you still have the tip piece that broke off, you could probably reattach it. It won't look great, won't make the rod longer than original but it will still function. This could be done at a reasonable cost if you do it yourself. It's also relatively easy to do.

Good luck, Jim
nielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 05:26 PM   #4
Warmouth
Native

Location: Boise, ID by way of Opelika AL, by way of East Tennessee

if you don't mind the tip being a different color you can do this... Go to a Goodwill type store and buy an old solid fiberglass spinning rod - or two or three. You can cut the tip off one and use it for the tip on your fly rod. What I do is take a piece of the solid rod that is just slightly larger in diameter than the fly rod. Then I sand a 1" tenon in the solid fiberglass piece and insert it into the fly rod. It is time consuming. Once you get the fit right you can epoxy it in. Once the epoxy cures you can sand the new piece to the diameter of the fly rod and use additional epoxy to fill any gaps. I have done this to save a couple higher end glass rods with broken tips. (A Phillipson and a Fenwick) The value is gone but they still fish fine.

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3
Warmouth is offline   Reply With Quote