NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-17, 05:59 AM   #1
richf7
Native

Default How do you carry your wading staff with you on the water?

I just picked up a Slippery Rock wading staff with a neoprene strap to slip over your hand. I hate paying $25 for a retractor from Orvis or Cabela’s which seem to be nothing more than a strip of webbing attached to a clip.

What do you guys use?
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 08:32 AM   #2
narcodog
Native

I use a Folstaf and it just has a length of para-cord which I tied to a simple carabiner which is clipped to my wading belt.
narcodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 09:47 AM   #3
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
I use a Folstaf and it just has a length of para-cord which I tied to a simple carabiner which is clipped to my wading belt.
x2 for paracord and biner although I couldn't resist ordering the new fishpond arrowhead retractor

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 09:54 AM   #4
richf7
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkbauer View Post
x2 for paracord and biner although I couldn't resist ordering the new fishpond arrowhead retractor

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I understand this inability to resist buying stuff.
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 02:59 PM   #5
wayne t
Native

I use the Folstaff (my wife and i have three of them; don't ask) which i keep tied to the handy holster sold with the staff. Once when i left it at home, in the car or somewhere other than where i was fishing, i picked up a decent piece of laurel branch someone else had conveniently cut to wading /hiking stick length and left astream, and I just stuck it in my wading belt or tossed it on the bank when not in use. That actually worked far better than i expected. So well i kept the stick for possible future use.

For purchased staffs Folstaffs cannot be beat. i use one (assuming it is in my wader bag when i need it) every time i wade fish and i deploy it almost anytime i go in water over my shoe tops. i have gotten so accustomed to it that i can wade, hike, fish, chase fish, land fish, whatever, with only very, very liimited interference from the staff.
wayne t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 08:27 PM   #6
Sharkey
Native

I like the Lefty Kreuz method,
String tied to your belt and the extended staff or one piece staff hang it over your shoulder
Out of your way when you don’t need it instantly ready when you do .
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 07:27 AM   #7
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne t View Post
I use the Folstaff (my wife and i have three of them; don't ask) which i keep tied to the handy holster sold with the staff. Once when i left it at home, in the car or somewhere other than where i was fishing, i picked up a decent piece of laurel branch someone else had conveniently cut to wading /hiking stick length and left astream, and I just stuck it in my wading belt or tossed it on the bank when not in use. That actually worked far better than i expected. So well i kept the stick for possible future use.

For purchased staffs Folstaffs cannot be beat. i use one (assuming it is in my wader bag when i need it) every time i wade fish and i deploy it almost anytime i go in water over my shoe tops. i have gotten so accustomed to it that i can wade, hike, fish, chase fish, land fish, whatever, with only very, very liimited interference from the staff.
Being the economically-minded angler, I really like this option and might just do this before jumping in the pea soup again. I had started to do this with a piece of downed Bamboo, but it's taking forever to dry; my boy and I were going to make a homemade cane pole out of it, but my dog chewed off a bit and shortened it significantly and it's now about the perfect length for a decent wading stick, but just needs to dry and get cane(ish)
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote