NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-18, 04:09 PM   #1
ScottD
Stocker

Default Tammen and Horseshoe this past weekend. How does this work?

Sunday afternoon I drive up to Tammen. Release was over at noon, I got there about 1pm. First time there and was surprised at the crowd.

The release was scheduled to stop at noon and start back up at 4pm

So I found a spot within 10 minutes then someone moved in 30 yards on each side of me. Ok - I'm a social person. Finally they spread out a little and this old man with a spinning rod come about 15 yards to my left and at one point actually cast across my line. He caught a decent fish. He just grinned, I'm not sure he spoke English.

Well I caught a little rainbow and one other nice one and missed a couple of others. I was fishing a hopper dropper with a nymph I call a blue dot. A copy of Prowlers Blue Back after it caught 30 fish.

So I packed up and went to Horseshoe. I got there at about 4 and waited for the water to drop. After about 4:40 or so I waded out but the water was stained. Couldn't even see the bottom. Is this normal? There were some showers in the area so I wasn't sure if that was the problem or if it is always like that when the release stops. I tried everything. Different colors, dries, Streamers, everything.
Then I hooked a #16 nymph in my finger past the barb. Ended up having to clamp hemo's on it and just pull. No, the blood in the water didn't help. Fished till 8pm and gave up.
So any ideas? Trying to learn the river and releases, but it sure was muddied up.
ScottD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 01:32 AM   #2
fish2little
Native

If he's fifteen yards and crosses your line, reel back in (pulling his line to you) take out your knife/clippers...
Old 08-22-18, 10:08 AM   #3
ScottD
Stocker

Naw. He was an old man. I still have my old man (80). They have earned the right to do something stupid every once in a while. I still do stupid every once in a while (like that hook in the finger).

His big smile at me when he caught that fish was good to see. He put it on a stringer. Probabaly a good dinner for Sunday evening.
ScottD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 06:34 PM   #4
F.A.R.R.
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
Naw. He was an old man. I still have my old man (80). They have earned the right to do something stupid every once in a while. I still do stupid every once in a while (like that hook in the finger).

His big smile at me when he caught that fish was good to see. He put it on a stringer. Probabaly a good dinner for Sunday evening.
Man I like your style ! This was the best post I have read on here for a long while, and couldn't agree with it more. Catching that fish for that old man that day would mean more than any I've caught in recent history, and you just never know how many more days on the water that guy may have.

That old man will be me or you someday.

I'm no expert on the Toccoa, but if it helps you any I fished at Horsebend from about 8am-11am Sunday morning- I had a great morning on the water but only caught one little rainbow---on a # 18 beadhead pheasant tailflashback, dropped about 2' off a big Stimulator. The water had color to it in the morning also, but in places kneedeep or less I could still see bottom. I think with all the generator they have been doing for a long while it keeps things stirred up ---plus stained water from all the rains coming in from feeders. There others on here that know much more about the faces of the Toccoa than me but I think it wasn't fishing very well Sunday (at Horsebend anyhow). Good luck .
F.A.R.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 07:36 PM   #5
Trout "R"
NGTO Hall of Fame

Is the lake starting to turn over up there like Lanier is down here? I have noticed the hooch is starting to get a pretty good color to it.
Old 08-25-18, 12:33 AM   #6
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout "R" View Post
Is the lake starting to turn over up there like Lanier is down here? I have noticed the hooch is starting to get a pretty good color to it.
No. Toccoa looks great right now. Crystal clear. Hopefully the monsoon rains we have had are tapering off.

------Team Norvise------
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-18, 12:39 AM   #7
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Glad you were able to get out ScottD. Both horseshoe and tammen have been fishing well and they are continuing to hit the blueback PT. Last time I fished a dry dropper with a blueback on the bottom and the exact same fly above it but with a green back. Every single fish came on the blue back and not a one on the green back so they just love that color blue for some reason. With the river clear again and weather looking good for tomorrow, I am planning on going out and I will try and post a report on how the fishing is.

------Team Norvise------
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote