NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-18, 01:29 AM   #1
Lumis
Native

Default Finally decided to pull out the dry fly.

Decided to hit up a small stream today. One of the many that may not be mentioned or the forum would explode. I don't normally hit up these mountain streams so it was a new experience. Put on a caddis (for the first time ever) and got to work. Note: I have never caught a fish on the dry fly before today.

Fish were pretty plentiful and to my surprise, were actually aggressively eating my fly. Unlike stockers, they typically only gave me one shot and if I didn't hook them I was out of luck. So that was slightly frustrating.

The biggest problem I ran into was my inability to stay focused on the fly. A little glare from the sun and I was suddenly unable to find my fly. I fixed this issue by using a very white caddis which worked wonderfully. Until I lost it. I wish I had more. At that point, I put on a caddis that most of the fish there had no business eating. Yet they still attempted to and I still managed to land fish.

My goal today was to catch a brook trout. I only found rainbows for the first five hours that I fished upstream. Passed some waterfalls. Small falls. Big falls. All kinds. Eventually, I was certain I was high enough to find brookies yet I could not. So I kept making my way up. Eventually, I decided maybe it was time to give up and head on home. Didn't want to be stuck on the woods at night.

As I was starting to walk back I noticed this small pool that I had ignored earlier because of all the branches in the way. I decided to give it a shot anyway and made a very awkward cast through some branches. And missed a fish instantly. I was not a happy man. So I tied again and landed a brook! I was pretty excited. Just before I could take a picture, he splashed out of my net. I refused to leave without evidence so I made it my mission to catch another, which required switching to another caddis variant. And I was able to land another!

All in all, I spent 6 hours searching for fish and I caught 9 Rainbows and 2 Brooks. And that's out of another 30+ times that I was unable to hook them. If I was good at fly fishing, I probably would have caught 20-30 fish today.

I attached some pictures below. They were teeny tiny fish but they were trout nonetheless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG2683~2.jpg (39.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2679.jpg (45.0 KB, 107 views)
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-18, 05:53 AM   #2
I_the_prodigy
Native

The tiny ones are my favorite to catch, good write up and pretty fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I_the_prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-18, 08:47 AM   #3
jonmo
Native

Those are beautiful fish Lumis..It is an extra thrill catching them on a dry..Great job - thanks for sharing!

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-18, 05:43 PM   #4
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Very cool! Those are some beautiful small Stream jewels! On the dry had to make them even more fun! Good work!
Old 08-26-18, 08:24 PM   #5
splatek16

Good on you
Nothing better than dry fly fishing
Well done @lumis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-18, 09:03 PM   #6
Trout "R"
NGTO Hall of Fame

A really good fisherman I know told me one time 1 dry fly fish = 5 nymp fish anytime!!
Well done.
Old 08-26-18, 10:35 PM   #7
mudrun
Native

Keeping your eye on the fly just takes some practice and lots and lots of time doing it ... and I guess the ability to execute strange Houdini casts with an arm pinned behind your back while upside down in a rhodo tunnel. The Wulff is one of my favorite flies and depending on the light and the stream, I'll often lose it until I see the strike - too late!

Regarding one shot and gone ... this isn't frustrating! This is the thrill and the glory!

There's a creek you've heard of and maybe been to, with a LOT of hikers and an easy, big lot. Right when you enter the woods, there's a pool on the right - literally right off the parking lot. There are two wild rainbows in this pool that will attack your fly again and again, and in spite of this, I have NEVER hooked anything in this pool. Not for lack of trying. I figure those two are expert escape artists ... least that's what I tell myself every time I walk away from there without having landed one of them...

But yeah. Once you cause a ruckus in a pool, you have to wait a bit. Fifteen minutes is a good rule of thumb. If its a long enough pool, and you only drifted one end, you can hit the other parts.

Glad you had fun! I love the dries.
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-18, 11:06 PM   #8
I_got_skunked
Native

Man, this thread title is excellent click bait from the forum splash page. Congrats on your first real brookie. Those stocker ones don't count.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-18, 12:36 AM   #9
Lumis
Native

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
Good on you
Nothing better than dry fly fishing
Except nymphing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrun View Post
There's a creek you've heard of and maybe been to, with a LOT of hikers and an easy, big lot. Right when you enter the woods, there's a pool on the right - literally right off the parking lot. There are two wild rainbows in this pool that will attack your fly again and again, and in spite of this, I have NEVER hooked anything in this pool. Not for lack of trying. I figure those two are expert escape artists ... least that's what I tell myself every time I walk away from there without having landed one of them...

But yeah. Once you cause a ruckus in a pool, you have to wait a bit. Fifteen minutes is a good rule of thumb. If its a long enough pool, and you only drifted one end, you can hit the other parts.
I don't know if we're thinking of the same creek but thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_got_skunked View Post
Man, this thread title is excellent click bait from the forum splash page.
LOL, I just noticed that... That's perfect
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote