NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-18, 04:06 PM   #11
Athos
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaChung View Post

I am not a hunter but I think hunting season starts pretty soon so if you're going to be whizzing around in the woods where people are hunting, make sure you wear your orange.
Good point. Bow season starts tomorrow in most places, so you guys stay safe in the woods.
Athos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-18, 07:00 PM   #12
muddy waters
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso1600 View Post
BINGO

https://www.fs.fed.us/visit/know-bef...ountain-biking

this is akin to using scented bait like GULP! on a wild stream. It's against the rules.

There are those who are working to change it, there are those who argue against it, but thems the rules currently in place, at the federal level.

I don't think I've ever been up there this late in the summer, I would be VERY curious about water levels and temps.
GULP! where its legal might as well be cheating. I'm pretty sure every PB i've got besides catfish was on a gulp minnow. it burns me up when I see someone throwing it during DH.
muddy waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-18, 09:03 PM   #13
DaddySteve
Native

This trail is NOT in the "Wilderness" area. Mountain Bikes are allowed. It is seldom ridden due to the remote location of the trail head. I rode it today. Water temps where in the mid to upper 50's. I'll post pics later. Too tired! And have to get the 10000 spider webs off of me. 20 miles of riding and 2000 feet of climbing. I will say this the streams looked better than expected.
DaddySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-18, 04:54 PM   #14
mudrun
Native

While bikes are forbidden in the Cohutta Wilderness proper, bikes are permitted on select trails east and south of the FS roads between Potatopatch and the various JRT-area trailheads. The Nat Geo topo map shows the trails specifically, but I have a few mountain biker friends, and there's only one trail up that way they speak of with a mixture of reverence, awe, and fear that also runs past a creek; as I mentioned earlier, it has a crazy narrow and steep gorge in the middle of it and I can't believe they go down it on something wheeled.

I'm stunned the water temps were in the 50s... wonder what the temps are on the other side of the ridge? It's some beautiful water... never had much luck there catching trout, though.

DaddySteve, glad to hear you made it down without injury and that you had a good ride! Would love to see your pics...
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 04:22 PM   #15
The Snag Whisperer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySteve View Post
This trail is NOT in the "Wilderness" area. Mountain Bikes are allowed. It is seldom ridden due to the remote location of the trail head. I rode it today. Water temps where in the mid to upper 50's. I'll post pics later. Too tired! And have to get the 10000 spider webs off of me. 20 miles of riding and 2000 feet of climbing. I will say this the streams looked better than expected.
Mid to upper 50's - thats about 15 degrees less that I would have guessed. Were you checking temp right where it bubbled out of the mountain?!

If thats the case for Conasauga proper, that is great.
The Snag Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote