NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-18, 12:06 PM   #21
iso1600
Native

I've seen more cottonmouths down here in AL while fishing the last 3 years than the first 30 years of my life combined (TX mostly).
More copperheads out in TX than here from my experience.
Never seen a single snake in NGA or further up into the Smokies.
Only seen one live rattler in the wild in my life, which is crazy considering all the places in central and west TX I frequented growing up.
Old 09-13-18, 12:38 PM   #22
Speck
Hall of Fame Member, Moderator

Never seen a rattler in 30 years of fishing. Hoping I never do, because my first reaction would not be the correct one. I'd jump and probably scare it into biting. Similar to the only time I ran across a bear (Hooch WMA). Not that I'm particularly afraid of either, just don't like surprises out there in the middle of nowhere.

I have seen a couple of copperheads, the most recent just south of Burrell's Ford on the Chattooga.

TONS of water snakes, most notably on Rock Creek (the hatchery one). Counted more than 40 snakes that day including the other copperhead. That one was right at eye height back up in a little ledge cut out of a red clay bank, about 2 feet away. Spooks me more now thinking about it than it did then. Snake bite in the face or neck, you're not going to recover from that.

I'm more concerned while fishing about yellow jacket nests and bone breaks from falls than I am about snakes and bears. Used to wear snake chaps when I first started going out on my own, but tired of them pretty quickly.

Follower of Christ
Pursuer of trout
-------------------------------------------------
"Your genuine action will explain itself and will explain your other genuine actions. Your conformity explains nothing." -- Emerson
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 02:22 PM   #23
mb90535im
Native

I've seen lots of Copperheads, but so far no rattlers. Now our cabin on Little Mountain Creek is just a hop and skip from "Rattlesnake Lead". Three of my neighbors over there have had rattlers at their cabins, but so far I haven't seen one.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 06:05 PM   #24
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeflyfish View Post
I have had visits from 3 bears, 6 elk (NC) and one individual that made me think to reach for my pistol.
That one individual is what bothers me more when I'm in the wilds. And your reaction would be my reaction.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 07:38 PM   #25
buckman1
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck View Post
Never seen a rattler in 30 years of fishing. Hoping I never do, because my first reaction would not be the correct one. I'd jump and probably scare it into biting. Similar to the only time I ran across a bear (Hooch WMA). Not that I'm particularly afraid of either, just don't like surprises out there in the middle of nowhere.

I have seen a couple of copperheads, the most recent just south of Burrell's Ford on the Chattooga.

TONS of water snakes, most notably on Rock Creek (the hatchery one). Counted more than 40 snakes that day including the other copperhead. That one was right at eye height back up in a little ledge cut out of a red clay bank, about 2 feet away. Spooks me more now thinking about it than it did then. Snake bite in the face or neck, you're not going to recover from that.

I'm more concerned while fishing about yellow jacket nests and bone breaks from falls than I am about snakes and bears. Used to wear snake chaps when I first started going out on my own, but tired of them pretty quickly.
I stand corrected on my earlier post... I saw a big rattler on the Chattooga River below Burrells Ford on the GA side and almost in sight of the SC campground. It was the first rattler Lauren had ever seen in the wild. I chopped his head off and bbq’d him for lunch.

I saw another near deep hole on the Toccoa River some years back.

And I ran over one this year on the hwy along Spoilcane. That one was significant because less than a week before I squished him, Killer Kyle and I fished that creek and climbed out of the creek in the exact spot I hit the snake to walk back to the truck.
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 08:59 PM   #26
dink
Hall of Fame

I’ve had way to many encounters with rattle snakes. The one that stands out the most is on Jacks river trail. Me and my buddy James had decided to walk 3 miles in to fish.About 2 miles in we were walking and talking when all of a sudden j
James grabs me and nearly body slams me.I had seen it but not before James had seen it.After it was said and done this dam thing had 20 rattlers on it.(no I’m not drinking) I still have the rattlers.

We debated on whether to kill him or knot. We caught a lot of flak on the board for killing that dam thing. ( must of been to many experts on rattle snakes at the time) But after a hard day fishing that day and on the way out we meet this guy with 2 12 packs of beer in hand and 3 young kids just running wild..Me and James just looked at one another and was glad we killed that dam thing..

Sorry for the long post. But if you never have felt the hair on your arms and neck stand up then stay out of woods.Sooner or later it will happen..

Always go with someone and be careful out there!!!
dink

Last edited by dink; 09-14-18 at 06:48 AM.
dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-18, 08:58 PM   #27
I_the_prodigy
Native

Came across a timber while driving out of the Hooch WMA (west side of 75) years ago and last summer ran across two in one day while in swallow creek. Couple copperheads came real close while I was fishing the hooch in the WMA but didnít seem to care about me which I was fine with.

And it was either a cottonmouth or a rattler I came cross while jumping around a couple anglers while at coopers last summer. Darn thing was yuuuuuuge but I just saw the butt end of it for a split second and couldnít tell if it had rattlers or not. I always keep an eye out for them and my girlfriend always wears waders no matter how hot because she thinks it will help if she gets bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I_the_prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-18, 08:26 AM   #28
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
Breeding, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was my first though, but it was always consistent all summer. No peaks or valleys of activity as I remember.
Old 09-15-18, 07:41 PM   #29
polus
Stocker

I've never seen a rattlesnake in Georgia. I've seen a couple of copperheads, one very up close and personal. I was walking down Overflow Creek Rd (FR road) on the West Fork of the Chattooga, back toward the campground parking area from the FR bridge (not the Warwoman bridge). It was August (a few years ago) at about 8:30-8:45pm, and from a distance, the snake looked like a broken tree limb (among dozens of others). I stepped about a foot from it, mid-body, realized it was as snake, and jumped back. Mid-jump I realized it was a copperhead. It was stretched out almost completely straight, about 32 inches, with its head up in that typical copperhead pose, and, color-wise, was very similar to the one pictured at the top of SREL's copperhead webpage (https://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/agkcon.htm). In the end, I didn't get bitten, the snake moved on off into the wood line, and I bought my first pair of snake boots soon after.
polus is offline   Reply With Quote