NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-18, 01:59 PM   #1
ScottD
Stocker

Default Toccoa a week ago.

Well since we are sluicing and didn't get my fix this weekend I thought I would share about last weekend.

I slept late and got to Tammen Monday at noon as the release was ending. Caught first brown in about 5 minutes. A few minutes later I hooked what I thought was the bottom until it began moving and one good shake and it was all slack line from there. Makes for a rough rest of the day to loose a really good one to start. Caught two bluegills. I watched and talked to the shore fishers using nightcrawlers and they don't seem to catch near the amount of fish the fly fishermen and women do. Is this my imagination or is it true? Seems like I caught 4 or five and they caught nothing and packed up and left. I would think nightcrawlers would outfish anything????

So at four the release started so I went down to Horseshoe. I waited for the water to go down but maybe not quite long enough. It was still a little off color but I ventured out and caught a rainbow right off. Then I was walking downstream. I have a wading staff that I was not using. I was also wearing boots and waders. I was in water about mid thigh. I went to take a step with my right and it caught on something so a quick step with my left which apparently caught on the same something. I like to think it was a 30" brown winking to his buddies saying "watch this". I went down full force. Faceplant. I am sure my face went all the way to the bottom and my legs went straight up. I flailed for what seemed like 30 seconds trying to get my feet back under me. I stood up real quick and looked around to make sure no one saw me. (just one guy holding a sign with a "9.5" on it.) I think I just qualified for the un-snycronized USA swim team.

I caught two more and took them home and cooked them. They were real good but now I remember why I don't keep fish. I had to stop and get ice, drive by three captain D's and countless grocery stores on my 2.5 hour drive home. Then clean them and cook them because my wife won't cook anything that's not wrapped in plastic.

The fish really were great eating. Took a few ibuprofen and went to bed. I hurt all over the next morning.
ScottD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 09:54 PM   #2
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Sounds like a fun day! Wish I had been there with my gopro running. lol

------Team Norvise------
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 02:32 PM   #3
ScottD
Stocker

Kevin, I am sure with my not so svelte body and my outstanding acrobatic skills, we could have easily won $10,000 with that shot.
It was good enough that between gasp for air, I came up laughing at myself.
ScottD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 08:10 PM   #4
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
Kevin, I am sure with my not so svelte body and my outstanding acrobatic skills, we could have easily won $10,000 with that shot.
It was good enough that between gasp for air, I came up laughing at myself.
I'm sure I have had a spill or two in the past that would probably top it.

------Team Norvise------
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-18, 07:32 PM   #5
buckman1
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
Well since we are sluicing and didn't get my fix this weekend I thought I would share about last weekend.

I slept late and got to Tammen Monday at noon as the release was ending. Caught first brown in about 5 minutes. A few minutes later I hooked what I thought was the bottom until it began moving and one good shake and it was all slack line from there. Makes for a rough rest of the day to loose a really good one to start. Caught two bluegills. I watched and talked to the shore fishers using nightcrawlers and they don't seem to catch near the amount of fish the fly fishermen and women do. Is this my imagination or is it true? Seems like I caught 4 or five and they caught nothing and packed up and left. I would think nightcrawlers would outfish anything????

So at four the release started so I went down to Horseshoe. I waited for the water to go down but maybe not quite long enough. It was still a little off color but I ventured out and caught a rainbow right off. Then I was walking downstream. I have a wading staff that I was not using. I was also wearing boots and waders. I was in water about mid thigh. I went to take a step with my right and it caught on something so a quick step with my left which apparently caught on the same something. I like to think it was a 30" brown winking to his buddies saying "watch this". I went down full force. Faceplant. I am sure my face went all the way to the bottom and my legs went straight up. I flailed for what seemed like 30 seconds trying to get my feet back under me. I stood up real quick and looked around to make sure no one saw me. (just one guy holding a sign with a "9.5" on it.) I think I just qualified for the un-snycronized USA swim team.

I caught two more and took them home and cooked them. They were real good but now I remember why I don't keep fish. I had to stop and get ice, drive by three captain D's and countless grocery stores on my 2.5 hour drive home. Then clean them and cook them because my wife won't cook anything that's not wrapped in plastic.

The fish really were great eating. Took a few ibuprofen and went to bed. I hurt all over the next morning.
Sounds like you need to train your wife to clean your fish and then cook them for you..? I know, I know... seems impossible. However, begin with the end in mind and start small... baby steps. Start with, ‘Buckmans wife does it.’

Post results.

Here’s the end product: wife was 7 Mth pregnant, carrying our then 10 month old, and catching supper. I don’t even have to fish any more.

Last edited by buckman1; 09-17-18 at 07:38 PM.
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote