NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-18, 07:47 PM   #1
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Default TVA TVA TVA

TVA oh TVA please explain. It has rained almost every weekend for like the last 3 months straight. Then we have a nice weekend for a change and what do you do???? You release all day on a saturday???? Wait my bad you are giving us a break from 10PM until Midnight so in the event that I decide to get my flashlight and go wading for an hour and a half in darkness, I have that luxury afforded me. So then I say ok...........they are doing this so they can give us a full wonderful day of fishing on Sunday. Wrong!!!! Instead you decide you are going to do another full release tomorrow. Oh my bad, you aren't starting to release until 7:00AM so again if I want to get my flash light and go fish from midnight until 7:00AM, I have that luxury. I know what the reader's response will be who might be siding with TVA..........Well Blue Ridge Lake is at fullpool. I understand that but what I don't understand is TVA gives more breaks and opportunities to fish during the week when people are at WORK and then blow the river out with full release the entire weekend. I would love for someone from TVA to read this and respond so that I can make sense of this because it makes absolutely no sense to me. Blue Ridge is the Trout Capital of Georgia and you can't even get out and fly fish for trout on the first decent weekend that we have had in forever??? Until I get a decent explanation I am inclined to go with the idea that a local presented to me the other day which was that TVA releases so much on the weekends due to big donations that they are getting from the kayak/tube rental places located on the river because releases make more money for them due to the fact that the clients get to the take out point quicker which means they can load up another group on the kayaks and so on. I certainly hope there is no truth in that, but I must admit that after thinking about it, it makes sense. Sorry for all the griping. Just had to get this off my chest in hopes that someone can explain this to me. Here lately the TVA will say full release on saturday when you call Friday night and then saturday morning you find out they changed it to no release which means that people who had planned on getting out on saturday most likely changed their plans. Or even worse...........TVA says 0 release and then saturday morning decides to release or do constant sluicing. I was at tammen recently and a couple groups of fly fishermen had called Friday night and heard the message saying no release. They had driven all the way over from Tennessee just to find out TVA had changed their minds last minute and they had to turn around and drive back home. Luckily I live close by and have a short return home but for those guys from Tennessee..........well let's just say I would not be happy at all if I were them and it would leave a bad taste in my mouth. Again, sorry for the griping but I really do want an explanation. If there is a logical explanation, I will get behind it and support it but when something makes absolutely no sense to me it really grinds my gears!!!!

------Team Norvise------
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-18, 10:40 PM   #2
Bfish
Native

The releases were for the Upper Ocoee whitewater rafting. TVA was paid by the rafting companies (through the state of TN) for returning water to the streambed, something along the tune of 11 million
Bfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-18, 10:44 PM   #3
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Hmmm, score an easy $11 million dollars or make Prowler happy? What to do? What to do?????

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-18, 10:53 PM   #4
Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
Hmmm, score an easy $11 million dollars or make Prowler happy? What to do? What to do?????
I can assure you Prowler is not the only disgruntled fly fishing wader up here!

------Team Norvise------
Old 08-11-18, 11:39 PM   #5
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

You may also find some answers in the " Operating Guide" for Blue Ridge Dam. In the diagram you will see the "Blue" Line" which is the water level behind the Dam that is held for sufficient flood capacity in the lake. The "Red Line" is the actual water level behind the Dam or "Head Water". You will see that every time the head water level "Red Line" spikes the water level is brought back to the "Blue Line" (by water release) to maintain the flood level line. Red spike, Blue Line, Red spike, Blue Line. On Aug 1st there was a Red spike but also Aug 1st begins the huge drop in the "Blue Line" slope. Between Aug 1 and Jan 1 the lake is dropped something like 19 feet. That means a lot of generation in Fall and Winter. On Jan 1 the lake is being filled back up so logic would tell you that there are going to a lot more non-release fishing days between the filling period/holding period Jan 1 and Aug 1 than between Aug 1 and Jan 1. The current frequent releases are probably due to the combination of the Aug 1st Red spike and the beginning of lake level drop for Winter. Recreational water releases also probably play a part. The Hiwassee tubing and rafting companies also pay for recreational releases.

May take 20 or 30 more sec's for the graph to load--does here on mine anyway---
The "Guide" https://www.tva.gov/Environment/Lake...perating-Guide
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 09:41 AM   #6
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
The releases were for the Upper Ocoee whitewater rafting. TVA was paid by the rafting companies (through the state of TN) for returning water to the streambed, something along the tune of 11 million
Haven't they been doing this for something like 40 years? Pretty major bucks for that Hwy 64 corridor along the Ocoee. I think they just got through some major contract negotiations for the cost and amount of water to be released.

https://www.ocoeeadventurecenter.com...tva-agreement/

Found an article. In the world of water politics, their congressman and senator out politicked your county commissioner and even a state legislature speaker such as Ralston. Best chance is probably to look for some type of compromise. "IF" the water is being released primarily for rafting considerations, you would have to figure out a way of coordinating releases that covers both the rafters and weekend users. Posting on a trout message board won't help that. You will need to be in contact with folks at the TVA. Report back what you hear from them.

Last edited by THE EG; 08-12-18 at 10:02 AM. Reason: addendum: not US senator and congressman
THE EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 12:05 PM   #7
Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EG View Post
Haven't they been doing this for something like 40 years? Pretty major bucks for that Hwy 64 corridor along the Ocoee. I think they just got through some major contract negotiations for the cost and amount of water to be released.

https://www.ocoeeadventurecenter.com...tva-agreement/

Found an article. In the world of water politics, their congressman and senator out politicked your county commissioner and even a state legislature speaker such as Ralston. Best chance is probably to look for some type of compromise. "IF" the water is being released primarily for rafting considerations, you would have to figure out a way of coordinating releases that covers both the rafters and weekend users. Posting on a trout message board won't help that. You will need to be in contact with folks at the TVA. Report back what you hear from them.
I wasn't posting on a trout message board thinking some legislation would magically get passed to "Make Prowler Happy" as Buck eluded to. I simply posted here trying to get information which is what I do when something doesn't make sense to me. Am I frustrated? Heck yeah I am. My wife and I moved up here to be on the river. I commute an hour and 40 minutes one way to work in alpharetta just so I can be close to the river and do what I love so I am very frustrated.

------Team Norvise------
Old 08-12-18, 12:46 PM   #8
jimbo
Native

welcome to river life
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 02:41 PM   #9
fishndoc
Native

I canít say how much of the release was due to rafting requirements, but from living on the tailwater, it appears that the release schedule is mainly driven by the lake level, and predicted imminent rainfall.
I cant post a link, but if you download the TVA app, you will see that Blue Ridge was well above the "Flood Guide" level last week. TVA has to occasionally delay needed water releases if heavy rainfall is occurring or predicted in the downstream drainage area, and then catch up as soon as the rain or rain threat subsides. I expect that was at least part of the equation over the weekend.

Iím sure TVA's worst nightmare is what happened back in Dec 2015 when the lake was over full with the level almost up to the flood gates, but couldnít release water because of so much rain downstream that Copper Hill was on the verge of flooding.
fishndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 06:44 PM   #10
Trout "R"
NGTO Hall of Fame

Prowler,

Do they release like this in the cooler months as well? I am just curious.