NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > NGTO Flings
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-17, 02:01 PM   #1
Steve Hudson
Hall of Fame Member

Default "FLY TYING 101" workshop at the 2017 Fall Fling!

Hi folks!

This year's Fall Fling will feature an exciting "Introduction to Fly Tying" class that's just the thing to help you discover how much fun fly tying can be!

Taught by Yours Truly (Steve Hudson), the class will be held from 9 a.m. till 11 a.m. All tools and materials are provided, and there is no charge. All you have to do is be there!

This class is designed and paced for adults and teens.

SOUNDS LIKE FUN! BUT DO I HAVE TO BE AN EXPERIENCED FLY TYER TO PARTICIPATE?

This workshop is designed for new tyers or for those who want to brush up on basic tying skills. No prior experience required!

WHAT'S THE WORKSHOP FORMAT?

The workshop, which will be led by Yours Truly, is designed for adults and teens. You'll focus on learning basic tying techniques, and in the process you'll create a number of great flies!

The class will begin at 9 a.m. and will run until 11 a.m. We'll start promptly at 9, so please plan to be in place and ready to go by then. That way we'll have plenty of time!

I suggest that you arrive about 8:45 to get settled in and to be sure that we're ready to go when the 9 a.m. start time rolls around!

Depending on conditions, we will be meeting EITHER in the large shed building immediately adjacent to the main Fling field OR at tables set up outside the building and bordering the main activity area. We may not know which location we'll use until the day before, but we'll be in one place or the other!

WHAT ABOUT TYING TOOLS?

All tools (including tying vises if you need them) will be provided for your use during the workshop, but if you have your own by all means bring them! It's always great to be able to use your own tools, but I'll have plenty for those who don't have their own.

DO I NEED TO BRING ANY TYING MATERIALS?

You don't have to bring a thing. Steve will provide all materials that we will use in the workshop.

But there is ONE thing you could bring that would be helpful, and that is...

IS THERE ANYTHING SPECIAL THAT I SHOULD BRING?

Please bring a bottle of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails clear nail polish. You can find this at just about any drugstore in the western hemisphere. We'll use this for "head cement" during our tying. If you forget to bring this, don't panic...I'll have some there!...but having your own will speed things along during the tying portion of our time together. And if you really want to be efficient, put the Hard as Nails into a small plastic squeeze bottle...these are available nowadays at many NGTO sponsors in their fly tying departments!

SHOULD I BRING A FLY BOX?

There's no need to bring a fly box...we're going to MAKE a custom fly box at the beginning of our workshop...and the box you make will be yours to keep!

IS THERE ANY COST?

There's NO CHARGE for this workshop, and everything you'll need is provided (including tying tools if you don't have your own). If you want to chip in to help cover costs, there will be a "donation" jar and you're welcome to do so. But that is not in any sense expected or required!

DO I NEED TO SIGN UP?

Yes, please sign up so that I can be sure we have enough materials and tools and printed material on hand.

To be sure that we have a great class, this one will be limited to eight people. Please sign up on this thread. When you sign up, please indicate if you need tying tools to use during the class or if you have your own.

CAN I BRING MY EIGHT-YEAR-OLD?

This class is designed and paced for adults and focused teens. However, we're offering a separate special tying activity for younger kids and pre-teens -- see the separate thread entitled "Kid's Fly Tying at the Fall Fling: Tie a Fly with Mr. Steve!" for details and to sign up for that special activity!

Drop me a note if you have any questions. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to tying some great flies with you at the Fling!

Best,

Steve

Roster for Fly Tying 101 at the 2017 Fall Fling

1. Troutrookie
2. Biscuit
3. Kelly Hinson

Last edited by Steve Hudson; 11-03-17 at 06:16 PM.
Steve Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 02:27 PM   #2
troutrookie
Native

Default Sign me up

Steve, sign me up for the beginner fly tying class. Thanks for all you do.
Darryl
"Troutrookie"
troutrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-17, 09:51 PM   #3
biscuit
Native

Please sign me up for the fly tying class
Thanks
biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-17, 11:16 AM   #4
Kelly Hinson
Native

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hudson View Post
Hi folks!

This year's Fall Fling will feature an exciting "Introduction to Fly Tying" class that's just the thing to help you discover how much fun fly tying can be!

Taught by Yours Truly (Steve Hudson), the class will be held from 9 a.m. till 11 a.m. All tools and materials are provided, and there is no charge. All you have to do is be there!

This class is designed and paced for adults and teens.

SOUNDS LIKE FUN! BUT DO I HAVE TO BE AN EXPERIENCED FLY TYER TO PARTICIPATE?

This workshop is designed for new tyers or for those who want to brush up on basic tying skills. No prior experience required!

WHAT'S THE WORKSHOP FORMAT?

The workshop, which will be led by Yours Truly, is designed for adults and teens. You'll focus on learning basic tying techniques, and in the process you'll create a number of great flies!

The class will begin at 9 a.m. and will run until 11 a.m. We'll start promptly at 9, so please plan to be in place and ready to go by then. That way we'll have plenty of time!

I suggest that you arrive about 8:45 to get settled in and to be sure that we're ready to go when the 9 a.m. start time rolls around!

Depending on conditions, we will be meeting EITHER in the large shed building immediately adjacent to the main Fling field OR at tables set up outside the building and bordering the main activity area. We may not know which location we'll use until the day before, but we'll be in one place or the other!

WHAT ABOUT TYING TOOLS?

All tools (including tying vises if you need them) will be provided for your use during the workshop, but if you have your own by all means bring them! It's always great to be able to use your own tools, but I'll have plenty for those who don't have their own.

DO I NEED TO BRING ANY TYING MATERIALS?

You don't have to bring a thing. Steve will provide all materials that we will use in the workshop.

But there is ONE thing you could bring that would be helpful, and that is...

IS THERE ANYTHING SPECIAL THAT I SHOULD BRING?

Please bring a bottle of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails clear nail polish. You can find this at just about any drugstore in the western hemisphere. We'll use this for "head cement" during our tying. If you forget to bring this, don't panic...I'll have some there!...but having your own will speed things along during the tying portion of our time together. And if you really want to be efficient, put the Hard as Nails into a small plastic squeeze bottle...these are available nowadays at many NGTO sponsors in their fly tying departments!

SHOULD I BRING A FLY BOX?

There's no need to bring a fly box...we're going to MAKE a custom fly box at the beginning of our workshop...and the box you make will be yours to keep!

IS THERE ANY COST?

There's NO CHARGE for this workshop, and everything you'll need is provided (including tying tools if you don't have your own). If you want to chip in to help cover costs, there will be a "donation" jar and you're welcome to do so. But that is not in any sense expected or required!

DO I NEED TO SIGN UP?

Yes, please sign up so that I can be sure we have enough materials and tools and printed material on hand.

To be sure that we have a great class, this one will be limited to eight people. Please sign up on this thread. When you sign up, please indicate if you need tying tools to use during the class or if you have your own.

CAN I BRING MY EIGHT-YEAR-OLD?

This class is designed and paced for adults and focused teens. However, we're offering a separate special tying activity for younger kids and pre-teens -- see the separate thread entitled "Kid's Fly Tying at the Fall Fling: Tie a Fly with Mr. Steve!" for details and to sign up for that special activity!

Drop me a note if you have any questions. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to tying some great flies with you at the Fling!

Best,

Steve

Roster for Fly Tying 101 at the 2017 Fall Fling

Steve, I will be there thanks.

Kelly Hinson
Kelly Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 06:17 PM   #5
Steve Hudson
Hall of Fame Member

Default Fall Fling tying class

Looking forward to seeing everyone there! There's still a question mark about the weather, so we may move inside in the big shed. We'll see how it looks in the morning...but we'll be SOMEWHERE!

See y'all tomorrow --

Best,

Steve
Old 11-04-17, 08:38 PM   #6
Steve Hudson
Hall of Fame Member

Default Thanks for a great class!

Thanks to everyone who participated in or dropped by and "sat a spell" in our intro to fly tying class at the fling today!

It was a stellar group of students, and some great flies were tied. You all got a fine start on what I hope will be a whole new dimension in fly fishing for you. Please don't hesitate to drop me a note or give a ring if you ever have any questions.

Keep tying those great flies, and I hope to see you on the water soon!

Thanks again --

Steve