NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > NGTO Flings
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-12, 08:45 AM   #1
Gatorbyte
Ex El Presidente Supremo, Happy Cowboy Sunshine Boy (currently in exile on Elba)

Send a message via AIM to Gatorbyte
Default 2012 Spring Fling Schedule of events

Hey gang,

Well, March 24th is just around the corner and that means it is almost Spring Fling time! We are expecting another great event this year and have a bunch of neat things for folks to come out to the hatchery for. Here is our tentative schedule of events (subject to change of course!):

Schedule of Events

8:00 to ??? - Drag Free Drift Training with Fishbreath (Landon):
Fishbreath (Landon) has stepped up again to lead the Drag Free Drift on-stream class at this years Fling. If new flyfishers are to learn one technique that will improve their ability to catch fish it would be "How to Make a Drag Free Drift". Landon is going to be conducting an on-stream class showing you how to accomplish this skill. Helping Landon will be several "Famous" NGTO Mentors that will work with the students. Landon will certainly be looking for additional volunteers to help his teach this class, so please consider helping him with this great training event. You do not have to be a pro to help out just a want to help your fellow fisherman. More details and sign up yo follow.

10:00 to 12:00 am - Beginner Fly tying with Steve Hudson: Steve Hudson is stepping up once again and will be providing an introductory class to fly tying. More details to Follow. Class size is limited, so please stay tuned for a sign up thread to reserve a space and so Steve will know what to prepare in the way of materials and printed materials. And remember to bring an empty fly box. By the time you're done, you'll be well on your way to filling it up!

9:00 to 10:00 - Small stream tactics: Our good friend Steve Hudson is going to present strategies to finding those top secret blue lines. He’ll cover the resources you’ll need to find those wild trout. This seminar will focus on map reading and general criteria for blue lines on public land. No small stream names will be disclosed.

Sooner or later, every fly rodder decides it's time to "boldly go where no one has gone before" -- and that means it's time to set out in search of those way-off-the-beaten-track streams that seldom if ever see another angler. Such streams are not much more than tiny blue lines on maps, and "bluelining" (as it's known) is the process of finding and fishing 'em!
Bluelining offers a unique angling experience that can combine exploration, adventure, and unforgettable fishing. How do you find these streams? How do you decide if they're fishable? How do you get to and fish them, and how do you make your trip a safe one?
We'll talk about those things and more in "Bluelining 101" at this year's Spring Fling!

10:00 to 10:45 - Shoal Bass - Where and How by Kent Edmonds This is going to be a can't miss seminar by none other than Kent Edmonds. With warmer weather right around the corner, this seminar will get you prepped to target a true Georgia Native fish. You'll be surprised how close they are and how willing they are to take an artificial lure or fly. Immediately follow come join Kent out on the casting field for...

10:45 to 11:30 - Moving Water Casts with Kent Edmonds Kent is following up his Shoal Bass presentation with a demonstration and class on useful moving water casts including tuck casts, aerial mends, and curves. This will take place on the casting field and there is no need to sign up. It's open to everyone.

Fly Casting Games by Tboy and Team Dead Drift - Tboy (Seth) will once again be holding the world famous Casting Games at the Fling. This is always a great event and open to everyone who want to give it a try. You don't have to be a casting professional to play, so come and join in. All skill levels are encouraged to give it a go and there will be several world class fly casters on hand to give you tips and pointers to improve your casting skills.

9:00 to Noonish - Various Demonstrations

Fly Tying by Orvis Tyer Kevin "Prowler" Griffin

Rod Building by Mike "Runner" Poppick

Outdoor Photography Techniques by Trent "Trentsize" Sizemore

Noonish to 1:00 pm - Free BBQ Lunch - Lunch is Served Provided by NGTO and cooked by Gold Star BBQ. Lunch will once again be cooked up by Brent Langley (B983) of Gold Star BBQ. For those of you that have been before, you know how good this is. If you can, please bring a side dish or dessert to share. We have had some great dishes that folks have brought and some that members look forward to each year. And if you think your dish is worthy, once again you can enter it to see if you can win the Iron Skillet Award for the best side dish of the 2012 Spring Fling.

Note: We will have a donation bucket at the food table for anyone who wishes to chip in to help us defray the cost of the BBQ lunch. We appreciate any and all donations as this allows us to support the many worth endeavors that NGTO supports each year. 

Directions to the Buford Hatchery

The Buford trout hatchery is located in Forsyth County on the banks of the Chattahoochee River just downstream of Lake Lanier and Buford Dam.

Directions from Interstate 85/985: Travel west on GA Highway 20. After you cross the Chattahoochee River you will turn right onto River Club Dr. (you will be entering a subdivision - look for the DNR hatchery sign). Travel approximately 1/2 mile on River Club Dr., turn right onto Trout Place Road (at the second hatchery sign). The hatchery is through the gate at the end of the road.

Directions from GA 400: Travel east on GA Highway 20 for approximately 4 1/2 miles, turn left onto River Club Dr. (into the subdivision) and follow the directions above.

Enter the following address in Google Maps for turn by turn directions from your house: 3204 Trout Place Rd., Cumming GA 30041

Helpful Fling Tips

Parking Information: For safety / emergency response reasons, we cannot park vehicles on both sides of the road leading into the hatchery. We will have parking volunteers to help you find parking inside the hatchery grounds. 

Please bring something to sit on! Tables and chairs will be available, but there are never enough chairs for everyone to be able to sit and eat lunch. To ensure you have a comfy place to rest your tushy, please bring along your own portable chairs.

Weather: March in Georgia can have just about any type weather you can imagine short of a blizzard. It might be sunny and 70 or cold as the dickens. Watch the weather closely before the Fling and dress accordingly. This is a rain or shine event, so please pray for a nice sunny day!

Kids? - Yes please bring them! NGTO loves kids and this event is a great way to expose them to trout fishing. The hatchery is a fascinating place and you and your kids can tour the grounds and even feed some trout chow to a few thousand hungry fish!

ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
- B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"You're an Idiot" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

"I canít be nobody but the Gatorbyte. Yes, I like talking about myself in the third person. Something tells me deep down inside you like it too. I'm YUGE!" - Bret "Gatorbyte" Nelson

Last edited by Gatorbyte; 03-14-12 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-06-12, 06:24 PM   #2
HoochBuster
Native

Wahoo! Can't wait!
I'd love to help out with the dfd seminar.
HoochBuster
Old 02-10-12, 12:33 AM   #3
Gatorbyte
Ex El Presidente Supremo, Happy Cowboy Sunshine Boy (currently in exile on Elba)

This is really shaping up to be a great event as usual. Kent Edmonds will be presenting on Shoal Bass. Stay tuned for more details. Don't forget to sign up for the drag free drift or fly tying class by Steve Hudson. And if you feel like volunteering, we will definitely need the help.

See y'all there.

- B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

"I canít be nobody but the Gatorbyte. Yes, I like talking about myself in the third person. Something tells me deep down inside you like it too. I'm YUGE!" - Bret "Gatorbyte" Nelson

Last edited by Gatorbyte; 02-10-12 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-14-12, 09:12 AM   #4
Gatorbyte

We are about a month away. The seminars are timed perfectly for the season. Here's a description on the Blue line seminar:

Quote:
Sooner or later, every fly rodder decides it's time to "boldly go where no one has gone before" -- and that means it's time to set out in search of those way-off-the-beaten-track streams that seldom if ever see another angler. Such streams are not much more than tiny blue lines on maps, and "bluelining" (as it's known) is the process of finding and fishing 'em!
Bluelining offers a unique angling experience that can combine exploration, adventure, and unforgettable fishing. How do you find these streams? How do you decide if they're fishable? How do you get to and fish them, and how do you make your trip a safe one?
We'll talk about those things and more in "Bluelining 101" at this year's Spring Fling!

Old 02-21-12, 07:50 AM   #5
Gatorbyte

Just confirmed another reason to come to the fling. Kevin "Pookie" Prowler will tying once again. He's an extremely gifted fly Tyer and will be demonstrating his techniques and he can even show off his many proven patterns.

Old 02-22-12, 12:02 PM   #6
The Field and Fly
Native

Not sure who would make these up, but a postcard or flyer to display in the flyshop about the fling at bass pro would be a great idea with a list of the activites and seminars offered.

I tell a lot of people about it by word of mouth, but a flyer is more effective. Our big fishing classic sale starts this weekend the 24th and we will have a lot of traffic in the fly shop over the next week.

Georgia Womens flyfishing has some up here now for their upcoming banquet. Just saying.
Old 02-22-12, 01:00 PM   #7
SlowStreamer
NGTO IT Support Team, Past CIO, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleydog73 View Post
Not sure who would make these up, but a postcard or flyer to display in the flyshop about the fling at bass pro would be a great idea with a list of the activites and seminars offered.

I tell a lot of people about it by word of mouth, but a flyer is more effective. Our big fishing classic sale starts this weekend the 24th and we will have a lot of traffic in the fly shop over the next week.

Georgia Womens flyfishing has some up here now for their upcoming banquet. Just saying.
Dudleydog73,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We do have a the flyer below. I have also attached a pdf version so members can print out and distribute. If you do not have a way of downloading printing, let us know and we will try to get someone to run out to you.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spring Fling Flyer 2012.pdf (160.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-28-12, 09:30 AM   #8
runner
Hall of Fame Member

Default Rod building table

You always wanted to try your hand at building your own rod - here is your chance to learn how it is done.

Stop by the rod building table and take a seat behind one of the 3 rod wrappers and try your hand at wrapping a guide or two, venture into the world of grief and add a trim wrap or two.

Learn how to mount a reel seat and grip, find the spline etc - mark the guide locations, prep the guide, mount the guide

table will be set up next to the Project Healing Waters table because I will be manning that as well.

How much can you save building your own rod

Sage One Factory $750 rod build

Sage One rod buiding kit $400 plus $50 if you want tube and rod sock

same savings for Winston, St Croix, etc

Now to get Kurt, Henry and Chuck involved!!!!

Mike
Old 02-28-12, 01:34 PM   #9
Gatorbyte

All I can say us Wow! Thank Mike for putting in this demo.

Old 02-28-12, 02:29 PM   #10
zug buggin
Native

I can't wait to listen to Kent, The landing on Hwy 166 is only a few miles from my house. I have chased Shoalies a few times but I defiantly need some indepth Shoal Bass knowledge

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout Ė cold, hard, spotted and beautiful Ė becomes ďnumber seven.Ē
Tom McGuane
Closed Thread