NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > NGTO Flings
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-12, 11:14 AM   #11
scallen2112
Hall of Fame Member

Can't wait!! Only a severe family emergency (mom's stroke) has ever made me miss a Fling. Not only is this a great time - with BBQ I still have not found an equal to - but it is also how this board keeps running. Y'all come on out, have some fun, have some great eats, and keep the best fishing forum around up and running. See you there!
scallen2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-12, 11:55 PM   #12
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Bump! And adding directions to the Buford Trout Hatchery:

Directions from Interstate 85/985: Travel west on GA Highway 20. After you cross the Chattahoochee River you will turn right onto River Club Dr. (you will be entering a subdivision - look for the DNR hatchery sign). Travel approximately 1/2 mile on River Club Dr., turn right onto Trout Place Road (at the second hatchery sign). The hatchery is through the gate at the end of the road.

Directions from GA 400: Travel east on GA Highway 20 for approximately 4 1/2 miles, turn left onto River Club Dr. (into the subdivision) and follow the directions above.

Street address: 3204 Trout Place Rd., Cumming GA 30041

Click here for the Google Maps location.
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-12, 06:54 PM   #13
Fire Walker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek View Post
Can anyone suggest a local hotel/motel. I see there are a few but does anyone have experience with any of them.

Look up Mall of Georgia hotels in Buford Ga. They are all fine. Your in the burbs.
Fire Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 02:57 PM   #14
runner
Hall of Fame Member

Brent's BBQ team - put me down - Mike
runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 11:12 AM   #15
rjoiner001
Native

Can anyone tell me the following:

1.) When does the event start?
2.) What activities will be there? Have a five year old and Dad who acts like one and needs to be kept busy?
3.) What types of items are going to be in the auction? Fun money has limits.
4.) Can you get advice on locations to fish for Brook Trout? I have caught rainbows and browns and really want to add Brook trout to the list?

Thanks for everything you do for trout fishing and I look forward to seeing everyone there.
rjoiner001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 11:28 AM   #16
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

rjoiner - See http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...ad.php?t=94920

Suitable for little boys and girls of all ages.
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 11:55 AM   #17
baldea
BOD, Hall of Fame

There is a great kids fishing pond on site with plenty of bluegill and catfish. As well as thousands of trout in various sizes in the holding tanks. The trout are only to look at not fish for. My sons have spent an hour running around feeding the trout and several other hours fishing at the pond.

Plenty to do for young and old.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

baldea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 02:15 PM   #18
Trout8myfly

rjoiner, there's no formal schedule as yet but the day will go something like this:

7:00 am - the overnight cooking and shenanigans crew begins to stir and make coffee, grumble and generally try to act civilized. They may add a log to the fire. Or not.

7:30 am - the Drag Free Drift Seminarians begin to gather, gear up, sign liability releases, don their PFDs, etc.

7:30 am - At the same time the Fall Fling Setup volunteers arrive to place chairs, tables, etc.

8:00 am-ish - the DFD seminar heads to the river, wearing their PFDs

9:00 am the Fly Tying seminar begins (no PFDs required)

9:30 am - The first lecture begins, most likely by the Georgia Wildlife Resources Division.

10:00 am - Casting games are going on in earnest. Fly tying demos may be taking place as well. Fish tales are being told. Old relationships renewed, new friendships forged, NGTO screen names linked to real names and faces. Raffle tickets sold by the score. The trout raceways splash with trout chow and excited fish. Some child catches a bream or catfish at the kid's fishing pond.

12:00 - Lunch! by Gold Star BBQ, augmented by those wonderful side dishes. (By now the DFD seminar has wrapped up and all return safe and dry. Usually)

1:00 pm - Raffles and door prizes handed out. Iron Skillet Award announced, NGTO Hall of Famers Inducted

2:30 pm Cleanup and put-away.

For details, click these links:

2012 Fall Fling Save the Date!
Fall 2012 Drag Free Drift Seminar!!
2012 Fall Fling Activities
2012 Fall Fling Auction Preview
2012 Fall Fling Volunteer Sign up
2012 Fall Fling - Side Dishes and the Iron Skillet Award
Fall 2012 Fall Fling Grab Bags
Introduction to Fly Tying at the Fall Fling!
Buford Trout Hatchery

We'll look forward to seeing you there!

ETA: Most of the fund-raising items will be distributed by raffle, although some will go via silent auction. With the raffle approach, you can buy 12 tickets for $10, 25 for $20, or along those lines. Then you can divide the tickets among several buckets or dump them all into one bucket to increase the chance of winning. And everyone gets one door prize ticket.

Last edited by Trout8myfly; 10-23-12 at 02:20 PM.
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 11:31 AM   #19
drk00
Stocker

Please sign me up for the drift seminar. Just started fly fishing somewhat seriously this year though I have tinkered with it for years. I've been lurking around your message boards for a while and picked up a lot of great info. Look forward to meeting you guys.
drk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 08:25 PM   #20
Grey Wolf
Stocker

Default UGA Research- Hemlock mortality and affects on trout habitat

I am a student at Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources. I am doing my thesis on hemlock mortality and its affect on trout habitat. I was wondering if it would be fine if i could set up a table with information on the subject and be able to administer a quick 5 minute survey for anyone interested.
Grey Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote