NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-11, 09:41 PM   #81
scallen2112
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musselwhite View Post
Sounds logical, although couldn't those same fish become the bait...
Musselwhite
When they are smaller, certainly. But I would think it's going to take a real monster brown to eat one 7"-9" long.

I've been staying away from the small browns in the upper tailwater and concentrating on put and take streams for the occasional pan fried dinner, mostly to avoid upsetting people. But if it is the general consensus that some of them need to be thinned, I'd certainly be happy to fry up a few of those 9 inchers now and then.
scallen2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11, 07:39 AM   #82
tommyking
Native

C&R what ever do you meanHeck I keep all my fish.I usually keep a stringer with me and every trout I catch I'll put it on the stringer and every time I get a bigger one I take the smaller one off and replace it with the bigger one.I guess you can call that catch and Release.I just don't understand but when I do release the smaller ones they go belly up.
Old 02-19-11, 09:09 AM   #83
motorbobb
Native

Default yahoo's

A couple topics in this post here.

First, Yahoos.... I was fishing the DH a couple weeks ago and had a guy who apparently wanted to get downstream faster than me so walked right through my fishing lane, walking within 5 ft of my indicator! I did not want to spoil his opportunity to actually come in contact with my line so I tossed a cast at him..... Still amazing to me in a river that is 200ft wide and easily waded that a moron would either be a) so ignorant, or b) so rude as to not respect others. I am sure this fellow is a great human outside of fishing (not...).

Second, the DH is C&R Nov-May, right?
motorbobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11, 09:14 AM   #84
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbobb View Post
Second, the DH is C&R Nov-May, right?
Yes, C&R and single hook artifical only. DH season runs from November 1st through May 15th if I am not mistaken.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11, 08:03 PM   #85
ccorneli
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallen2112 View Post
When they are smaller, certainly. But I would think it's going to take a real monster brown to eat one 7"-9" long.

I've been staying away from the small browns in the upper tailwater and concentrating on put and take streams for the occasional pan fried dinner, mostly to avoid upsetting people. But if it is the general consensus that some of them need to be thinned, I'd certainly be happy to fry up a few of those 9 inchers now and then.
There is certainly not a consensus. There are many dynamics at play in this ecosystem. Thinking that WE need to help shape a population is funny to me. Keeping fish is a selective pressure that is contradictory to natural selection. Under strict natural selection, the most aggressive feeders are most likely to leave the highest allelic ratio (evolutionary success). keeping fish selects against this trend leaving what, under natural selection, would typically be the weaker members of a population. Allowing this natural competition for food to determine which fish reproduce will ultimately yield a heartier fish.

Population dynamics in a closed system (farm pond) are much different than in a ecosystem such as the hooch tailwater. Just another opinion to ponder.

And you may be surprised about what sized brown trout are eating 7-9" fish. I have had 7" browns take 5" streamers on the tailwater.
ccorneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11, 10:59 PM   #86
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

Thru May 14. May 15 is lemon pepper and butter day.
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 02:10 PM   #87
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Default Trout - It's whats for Dinner

All this talk got me thinking, lemon pepper and butter! Fed a lot of friends, took a black thumper, upstream from Bowmans.....

Didn't have a stringer, so I stuffed it down my waders......

RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 02:15 PM   #88
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

You heartless b*****d! I'm thinking that you'll have to get the new G4's now due to the fish slime on your old G3's.
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 03:35 PM   #89
baldea
BOD, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
All this talk got me thinking, lemon pepper and butter! Fed a lot of friends, took a black thumper, upstream from Bowmans.....

Shoot how many miles is it to Helen again?

Nice piggie.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

baldea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 06:27 PM   #90
Jakal03
Native, Official Taunter of UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post

Didn't have a stringer, so I stuffed it down my waders......

RScott
I think I may have paid to see that!
By reading the above post the reader hereby acknowledges and agrees that the Post may contain errors, omissions, sarcasm and humor (both attempted and actual) or other contents which might upset a Reader. If Reader has a problem with this then Reader shouldnít read the Post or take it seriously. If Reader fails to refrain from reading or taking the Post seriously as mentioned above, then it is the Readerís own fault and I donít want to hear about it.
Jakal03 is offline   Reply With Quote