NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-12, 11:30 PM   #1
Blueridgeflies
Native

Default Need Help With This River

So I could use some help with fishing this river. I have fished it before at Jones Bridge and at Buford dam but can't seem to catch anything. So really what I would like to know is. What flies should I use, what is the best time to be out there, and really just where to start? I find the river a bit overwhelming when it comes to fly fishing it. This is mostly from the fact that I have gravitated toward small mountain streams (and I mean small, as in one of my favorites is from about 8-12 feet wide and about 4 feet deep in the deepest parts). Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. One of my biggest limitations currently is a lack of waders (A problem I am seeking to fix but haven't been able to as of yet).
Blueridgeflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 11:40 PM   #2
HoochBuster
Native

JB has fished fantastically this winter, I would reccomend that to start. It is easily accessible for someone who is wet wading ( by the end of this month, my waders are goin into hibernation )
Don't fish the river, fish all the tiny streams within the river. Every pool and run is like a section of a small stream, so treat it like one!
Flies fluctuate, but something green and something flashy will always get you bit.
Let me know when you are makin your next trip over here, of I can I'll show you around.
Tight Lines,
HoochBuster
Old 03-16-12, 12:07 AM   #3
Blueridgeflies
Native

I am trying possibly for tuesday of next week but I don't know if it will work. I am trying to go to the spring fling up at the buford trout hatchery. So if anyone wants to meet up and talk there I am definitely up for that.
Old 03-16-12, 12:24 AM   #4
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

You should sign up for the Drag Free Drift Seminar at the Fling. Held on the River. Prob help you more than anything with the Hooch. Sign Up is in the "NGTO Flings" Forum.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 12:42 AM   #5
HoochBuster
Native

Yup, the dfd seminar would definately help. Let me knowing you decide to go next Tuesday, I should be able to hit the water that day!
Old 03-16-12, 09:54 PM   #6
Blueridgeflies
Native

I am heading out on the river tomorrow. What would be the best place to go (out of the dam, Settles, and Jb)? Also if anybody wants to come join me just send me a message and let me know. What sorta of flies has everyone been seeing on the river as well?

BlueRidge
Old 03-16-12, 10:04 PM   #7
Fire Walker
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Settles has been fishing great but can get tricky and technical due to skinny gin clear water. Caddis flies have been active and trout have been taken with dry flies but most of our fish have been taken subsurface on size 22 dual nymph rigs using zebra and disco midges fished 6 to 7 feet under and indicator. The fish are deep within the water column and small shot may be necessary in deep runs.
Fire Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 10:15 PM   #8
Blueridgeflies
Native

Thanks Fire walker,
I was leaning towards going to settles becuase other then the dam it is one of the closest to where I live. Do you know if there is any fee to park there, and have the fish been hitting anything like a bh caddis larva? Thanks for all the help guys, and look forward to seeing you at spring fling.
Old 03-16-12, 10:41 PM   #9
motorbobb
Native

Default attend the seminar

From your description, it sounds like you might need some help reading the river - ie knowing where the fish sit and at what depth. Maybe there is an issue with your drift as well.

These aspects of fly fishing will be less practiced if you have been fishing skinny mountain streams.

Quick and dirty suggestions - 1) fish the seams -look for breaks in the stream flow, both top water and beneath (eg behind a rock or log), as fish sit on the inside and outside of these breaks. I regularly see folks fishing the wrong parts of the river, often standing where the fish like to live, and fishing to water that fish avoid! A newbie can easily catch a fish in a tank; even the greatest fisherman with the best presentation and technique wont catch anything if fishing in a swimming pool! 2) get the flies where the fish are. If nymphing, the fish usually sit at the head or tail of the deeper buckets in the river. In faster water, adjust your indicator to roughly 1.5X to 2X the depth you want to fish, and if needed, add some pinch-on weight. I really did not start catching large quantities of fish until I followed the advise to "dredge the bottom"; and 3) keep a drag free drift - cast upstream, mend your line so the bow in the line is slightly upstream of your fly, and leave slack in the line. When nymphing, you can re-mend on your float to get more out of the same cast.

Good luck to you! You will enjoy the Hootch..kc
motorbobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 11:13 PM   #10
Mog
Hall of Fame Member

Good notes from MB. The better you get at those finepoints the less important the fly selection will become.