NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-13, 12:41 PM   #1
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

Default Go To Fly for the Hooch~Red Squirrel

I don't hear anything about this fly anymore. I still keep them in my fly box. When I fished the hooch in an earlier life (25 years ago) the "Red Squirrel" was my GO TO fly, 10-12 & 14's weighted (bead head) and not. I quartered cast and fished it like a streamer. I still see this fly at the fly shops. Next time you're at the fly shop pick up one.

If I could only pick one fly for the Hooch. This just might be the one for me.

What would be your GO TO fly for the Hooch?
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13, 02:34 PM   #2
chasman
Native

U have a pic of one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13, 04:05 PM   #3
Jessezm
Native

It was working for me yesterday, Remoh! Everything tan/light was working and I dug one out of the bottom of my box when I lost my other light colored nymphs. fish were hitting in on the swingle and dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoh View Post
I don't hear anything about this fly anymore. I still keep them in my fly box. When I fished the hooch in an earlier life (25 years ago) the "Red Squirrel" was my GO TO fly, 10-12 & 14's weighted (bead head) and not. I quartered cast and fished it like a streamer. I still see this fly at the fly shops. Next time you're at the fly shop pick up one.

If I could only pick one fly for the Hooch. This just might be the one for me.

What would be your GO TO fly for the Hooch?
Jessezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13, 04:35 PM   #4
aknezo
Native

I remember that someone recommended that fly to me a while back. I need to find a recipe for it. My favorite fly has got to be a Bead Head Hares Ear tied with a hot spot. It has caught me tons of fish since I started tying it about a year ago now. Tie it in any color and catch fish with it all the time. Here's a picture.

aknezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13, 05:16 PM   #5
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasman View Post
U have a pic of one?

Old 11-09-13, 08:20 PM   #6
watkins
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to watkins
Default Red Fox,

Remoh, worked on the Toccoa DH today also. TRW
watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13, 10:08 PM   #7
chasman
Native

Awesome. Thanks for pic. Haven't used that before. Looking forward to trying it out.

chasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 04:07 AM   #8
Remoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknezo View Post
I remember that someone recommended that fly to me a while back. I need to find a recipe for it. My favorite fly has got to be a Bead Head Hares Ear tied with a hot spot. It has caught me tons of fish since I started tying it about a year ago now. Tie it in any color and catch fish with it all the time. Here's a picture.

That's a nice looking fly Aknezo. I just started back tying. I'm going to tie some nymphs with hot spots soon. I found a fly I'm focused in on- on vimeo.com it's called "Double Standard" check that out. Also there is a fellow named "Mikel" on Vimeo. He must be from Portugal (English sub titles) I speak broken Spanish but his Spanish is different. Mikal ties some phenomenal flies

Old 11-10-13, 06:55 AM   #9
aknezo
Native

Thanks Remoh! On slow days the hot spot seems to attract the fish to the fly better. I don't think there is a problem with spooking any large river fish, but I will probably use more natural flies on smaller streams.

The guys over at Tighline Productions tie up some great flies. I learned to tie by watching those videos and attempting to tie them. I will have to check out mikel. From the looks of it, he ties up some realistic looking flies.
aknezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 11:07 AM   #10
Remoh

[quote=aknezo;759309]I remember that someone recommended that fly to me a while back.

I found out from one of our members it's a Dave Whitlock pattern. It uses belly fur from a Fox Squirrel aka Red Squirrel. I haven't seen a Fox Squirrel in 20 years. Fox Squirrels are 3 times the size of a typical grey squirrel. They look like small cats climbing in the trees. My buddy said Feather Craft (St. Louis) carries Fox squirrel pelts. I just checked their website. They have 'em.