NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-15, 09:44 PM   #1
Jessezm
Native

Default Paces turned on

Well the fish woke up at Paces today. Went on a whim around 2 thinking it'd probably be too crowded, but it wasn't bad at all. And what a gorgeous day! Caddis were coming off sporadically early in the afternoon with a few really thick waves of them in the late afternoon and early evening. I saw a few rises but nothing at all consistent, and I couldn't coax anything to the surface for the few minutes I tried.

Most of the day I fished under an indicator with a frenchie (orange collar) and an olive johnny flash imitation or another black midge I copied off this post: http://georgia-outdoors.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=106205 (thanks, dude! they were killing it!). Also used a rainbow warrior variant and even a red squirmie for a while.

All told, I probably landed 60-70 fish. There were a few hours where almost every cast was a take or a fish to hand. It was ridiculous! It took me a little bit to find them, but once I did, they didn't shut off and I just moved on to find a new spot for a change of scenery.

Watching the caddis come off that thick was a real treat, too--I suggest you get your butts out there soon and check it out! Man, I forgot how much fun my home waters could be!

Sorry no pics--you all know what a stocker looks like, already, right?
Jessezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-15, 08:10 AM   #2
A Hopps
Native

Default Some pics!

Indeed, it was a good day! Freakishly beautiful weather. I won't put a number on it, but thanks to some of RScott's advice and a few jig nymphs I had a blast too. Also I'd like to thank one of my cats (a rescue of course) for having plentiful dubbing, to which stockers seem magnetically attracted.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if I die and am reincarnated as a caddis, I want to live on the Paces DH section. Safest place in the world to be a caddis fly. I saw only a handful of risers in a thick hatch.

Too bad it's about to rain for approximately forever!
A Hopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-15, 09:35 AM   #3
The Crowe
Native

Happy for ya that the nelson worked , i tied it to fish the rver mainly and I'm glad I did I can't wait to use em myself I haven't even thrown em yet
Old 03-09-15, 09:37 AM   #4
motorbobb
Native

Default I had good luck at Paces as well

I had a little over an hour to fish Sunday afternoon. Got out on the water around 3pm.

The weather was so nice it might have felt good even if I was doing my taxes in the middle of the river, but instead I was hooking up a lot of fish!

I started with my basic DH rig of streamer and Y2K and never had reason to change. I brought 6 to hand and had another 4-5 missed hook sets.

I was my birthday so I thought it was just birthday luck. However saw another person a couple hundred yards up the river hammering them as well. Water temp exceeded 50 so maybe that was the trick.

Did see a few big brownish caddis but not a single splash near me. rgds kc
motorbobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-15, 09:40 AM   #5
Jessezm
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crowe View Post
Happy for ya that the nelson worked , i tied it to fish the rver mainly and I'm glad I did I can't wait to use em myself I haven't even thrown em yet
Yeah that is a deadly pattern and I'm definitely taking it with me to fish the smaller streams this Spring. To be fair, it seemed like there wasn't anything I tied on that they wouldn't eat yesterday, though!
Old 03-09-15, 10:47 AM   #6
TheBreeze
Formerly AWBivins

Caddis were beginning to pop up at JB yesterday as well. Fish were eating the emergers, and I had pretty good luck swinging a soft hackle and leech. Nom nom nom.

íViva los fun hogs!

Follow me as I follow Drifter on Instagram
TheBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-15, 10:56 AM   #7
Jessezm
Native

Glad you were out yesterday. I was going to check in with you but was afraid you might be working, and didn't want to gloat :-) I should have known you wouldn't let anything get in your way!
Old 03-09-15, 11:37 AM   #8
The Crowe
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessezm View Post
Yeah that is a deadly pattern and I'm definitely taking it with me to fish the smaller streams this Spring. To be fair, it seemed like there wasn't anything I tied on that they wouldn't eat yesterday, though!
Yea I'm also gonna fish it a lot up north
Old 03-09-15, 04:58 PM   #9
Architorture
Native

Good day for me from 3-4:30 as well, once I found them. 5 or 6 to hand and another 4 or 5 that wouldn't stay buttoned up. All on an egg.

I tried swinging a SH caddis emerger but got nothing on it. Think it might have been too big, considering what Jesse was using.

Last edited by Architorture; 03-10-15 at 12:09 AM.
Architorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-15, 10:17 PM   #10
keeper27
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hopps View Post
Indeed, it was a good day! Freakishly beautiful weather. I won't put a number on it, but thanks to some of RScott's advice and a few jig nymphs I had a blast too. Also I'd like to thank one of my cats (a rescue of course) for having plentiful dubbing, to which stockers seem magnetically attracted.

Cat Dubbing?!?!? That's freaking awesome. Mad props for originality.

A Hopps: it was great to meet you yesterday on the river. I fished across from you for a bit and we talked for a few minutes. Specifically, I was the guy in the Yellow Jackets ball-cap that talked about his love of dry fly fishing. The surface action will pick-up. Yes, the Hooch is not a great dry fly river; it never will be. But, for what it has to offer for dry fly fishing, it's at it's best from March-May. And sometimes the evenings, (from 6ish on) during the springtime can be stellar.

Regards,

Josh
keeper27 is offline   Reply With Quote