NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-13, 09:00 AM   #11
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks for the tip, Font! I had not even considered that it might have been inaccurate..."...it's on the internet...it must be true " !

Sometimes right after I wake up , get coffee, and check e-mail, I may not be thinking clearly, yet...at 63 & 1/2 , sometimes there's fog on the mountain!!

I try to use GA DNR search results first.

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 09:33 AM   #12
fontinalis
Native

No sweat. I've learned from many of my own unsuccessful bird ID attempts to not trust Google Images or really anything other than a University or professional organization's web site for IDs.

Like you, I do like to use local organizations when possible.
fontinalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 09:55 AM   #13
Stinkbait
Native

Red shoulder. I see more of them in Atlanta than any others. Have had a nesting pair behind my house for years and they fly and call their territory every morning. Seen them mate twice in big oak tree just out front door. Gotta love Cornell for birds.
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 10:08 AM   #14
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontinalis View Post
I've learned from many of my own unsuccessful bird ID attempts to not trust Google Images or really anything other than a University or professional organization's web site for IDs.

Like you, I do like to use local organizations when possible.
True-True Font. Not many birds I can't identify when I see them (Georgia/Southeast Coast) but occasionally something pops up and I gotta dig the noculars and books out. The internet stuff is great but not all inclusive. Many birds have a variety of chirps, clucks, screeches and cackles but the internet will only have one audio file, Mockingbirds have 100's of noises. Been a birder for 40 years. Always enjoy seeing a bird that makes me dig the books out.
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 12:19 PM   #15
Wee
Native

This is obviously a cobra-hawk for the lack of a chicken in it's mouth...DUH.

Brian
Wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-13, 06:40 PM   #16
larrydlong
Native

We live in an older area of NE Cobb with lots of nice trees left & see the hawks quite often. Even had one land in a tree 10' from the kitchen window. There is a nesting pair near by. Have seen a few & Ospreys along the area waterways. Mother Nature is a beautiful thing!
larrydlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 10:55 AM   #17
nickinga
Native

Default My vote's for broad-winged hawk

We have one of these guys in the woods behind our house. Appears to be similar

http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/35/...nged_Hawk.aspx
nickinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 10:10 PM   #18
hlduke82
Native

Cooper's Hawk?
hlduke82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 10:33 PM   #19
fontinalis
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlduke82 View Post
Cooper's Hawk?
Good thought, but according to what I've read, the bird in this thread is not a Cooper's hawk. Cooper's are not as stocky, have a longer tail, and have a darker "cap" that contrasts with a lighter neck region (among other characteristics).

nickinga also brings up a good option with broad-winged hawk, but it seems this bird matches up best with red-shouldered hawk based on what I've seen. I, however, am no expert.
Old 06-19-13, 10:58 AM   #20
BillyP
Stocker

Default Broad-Winged Hawk

We live over in Dunwoody in a yard covered completely by hardwoods. We identified a short, stocky hawk as a broad-winged hawk. Check out: http://www.hawkmountain.org/raptorpe...ge.aspx?id=655

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/B...wk/lifehistory
BillyP is offline   Reply With Quote