NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-14, 10:26 AM   #21
hlduke82
Native

I use Cotz by Fallene. My dermatologist recommended it. It has titanium and Zinc in it. It is a true 60 spf. None of the other sunscreens can compare to this one except few others with metallic emulsions. Using long sleeved shirts and pants and a buff also helps.
hlduke82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 12:07 PM   #22
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
File this under something new everyday.

I have a fishing shirt that I wear all the time, which has what looks like a rust ring around the neck. Guess what it is? Rust, but it never showed up until after I washed the shirt.

Apparently, most sunscreens contain avobenzone or butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, if you have high iron in your water (which I did from a bad water-heater) this chemical will react with the iron in the water and leave rust stains on your clothes where they have touched the sunscreen. So I put sunscreen on my neck it rubs off onto my shirt I wash the shirt and bam rust stain. Anyway, they say you can use a sunscreen with titanium oxide or zinc oxide instead of avobenzone and it won't happen.
Similar issue happens on the boat when rinsing with some well water.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 09:46 AM   #23
Jason
Georgia Master Naturalist, SOLO Advanced WFA

Not sunscreen but I have to mention how much I like Jungle Juice. It's 98+% DEET and works like a charm. REI carries it. Ain't no bugs on me.

Sent from Sietch Tabr. The sleeper must awaken.

Concede parum, nega frequenter, distingue semper - St. Thomas Aquinas

'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Jeremiah 6:16

"Wonder is the desire for knowledge" - St. Thomas Aquinas
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote