NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-14, 10:48 PM   #11
YERF DOG
Native

Chick car for sure! BMW`s convertibles are even worse .... Now a GT Mustang or a Corvette get serious street creds! IMO.....
Old 09-01-14, 11:07 AM   #12
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Default BMW Bashers

I guess BMW's are kind of like Orvis; easy to bash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
The Miata is easy to maintain, but BMW has to be taken to someone named Hans who wears a white lab coat and hourly rate is similar to a lawyer.
One of the great myths to come out of the 90's - modern cars (especially high end German cars) are too complicated for the average shad tree mechanic to work. I am here to say that this is a load of total bull squeeze. Cars are still cars and combustion engines are still combustion engines! If anything, they are easier to work on as most of the components are plug and play.

My BMW 330 is one of the easiest cars I have ever worked on. The parts are not expensive if you use aftermarket and everything on the car is very straight forward from a maintenance and repair perspective. I swapped out both front wheel bearings on my car when I first bought it and have had oil changes take longer. Replacing my fuel pump took all of 20 minutes. Oil changes are a breeze, etc etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YERF DOG View Post
BMW`s convertibles are even worse ....
Just curious; have you ever driven a 330ci convertible?

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 11:40 AM   #13
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...how 'bout this one, Buck...!?

Attachment 13397

Blessings!

Jimmy

Last edited by Counslrman; 09-03-14 at 04:43 AM.
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 11:47 AM   #14
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default BMWs

I have heard that BMW maint. has improved, but the parts remain pricy and if you do have to take it to the shop, it will hit your wallet. That said, my son-in-law, and two of my best friends have had a series of BMWs (my son-in-law changes cars more often than I change socks) and love them. If you are looking for a BMW coming off lease, check the market in Greenville, SC. Greenville the lowest prices anywhere for these cars due to the BMW plant and lots of company cars. And if you are a BMW fan, take the factory tour. It's about a 2 hour drive from Atlanta and right on I-85. You will need a reservation for the tour, but you can just show up and tour the museum which is fascinating. Lots of historic, racing and specialty cars on display. They ever have a couple BMW airplane and boat engines. Ever see a BMW sterndrive unit?
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 12:00 PM   #15
island_boy
Native

Send a message via AIM to island_boy Send a message via MSN to island_boy Send a message via Yahoo to island_boy
Default Go for the miata!

They're awesome! Make great autox cars.

Mustang? I like the looks of them but enjoy passing them in the corners even more. Especially in the rain.

I never met a pony car I couldn't run with and/or take with my 3-series sedans. And that was 0-60 and top end. Don't even bother me with the corners...

FYI, I drive a mini cooper non-s and love it. 6spd, 40mpg, and I can hang with everyone I meet.

Island Boy - come tell me my Mini is a chick-car...

Or kickin' back with Ivan With all my friends down in the islands

Wouldn't take much for me to up and run To another life somewhere in the sun
island_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 07:14 PM   #16
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

This should make shopping easier.
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/

If you could find a Triumph Stag with Targa top you could get extra punches on your card.
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 10:16 PM   #17
hlduke82
Native

I drove my father's 1965 Austin Healey 3000 while in high school. There was no car on the road with the engine sound that came out it's muffler. It roared like no other. Miatas don't make the cut. The Corvette Stingray 2014 has the most performance/price of any car. That's where I would put my money.
hlduke82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 10:33 PM   #18
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlduke82 View Post
I drove my father's 1965 Austin Healey 3000 while in high school. There was no car on the road with the engine sound that came out it's muffler. It roared like no other. Miatas don't make the cut. The Corvette Stingray 2014 has the most performance/price of any car. That's where I would put my money.
That is one sweet car Dukey. Absolute classic. Did it have twin Stromberg Carbs?

Last edited by Remoh; 09-01-14 at 10:34 PM. Reason: crabs to carbs
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 08:51 AM   #19
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlduke82 View Post
I The Corvette Stingray 2014 has the most performance/price of any car. That's where I would put my money.
The 2014 Stingray is high on my list Doc! It might help convince my better half if you were to write me a prescription for a Corvette saying the advanced lumbar support system it has would greatly improve my lower back pain.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 10:08 AM   #20
hlduke82
Native

The Healey did have 2 Stromberg carbs. I knew them intimately. My brother and I overhauled the engine when he could drive and I was too young. We had the cylinders rebored and the piston rings replaced. The engine was a thing of beauty.

Clark, call Bruce and he will fax the Stingray prescription to any Chevrolet dealer that's close to you. It is therapeutic!!
hlduke82 is offline   Reply With Quote