NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Swap Shop
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-13, 09:21 AM   #1
Joe A
Native

Default WTB Saltwater Setup

I am looking to buy a saltwater setup in the 8wt to 9wt range. I am pretty sold on the Nautilus CCF or NV reels, but I'm a little more open on the rod. I'm looking for something like the Scott S4S or comparable. Let me know if you have something in that ballpark that you would be willing to part with.

George Anderson and Jimbo Meador were my companions, men who never confuse angling with male bonding: fine dining and gentlemanly hours were out the window. - McGuane
Joe A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 08:41 PM   #2
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

There's a seller on eBay (rick6691) that has a Sage RPLxi, 9', 9 wt, 5 piece (990-5) for a "Buy It Now" of $300 +$13 shipping. He is in Dallas, Ga. Most of his recent sales have been saltwater fly gear (RPLxi 8 wt, Tibor, etc)--looks like he is getting out of it. Just an fyi.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 08:59 PM   #3
Naturally_Fly
Formerly Known as Orange_Spokes

I love my TFO Ti-CrX 8wt...awesome rod that can bomb some casts

2010 Fall Fling Hero Shot Winner - 73'
2011 Spring Fling Hero Shot Winner - 84' (91' Practice)

Southern Fly Fishing
http://southernflyfishing1530.wordpress.com
Naturally_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 09:24 PM   #4
RAINBOW2
Native

Joe, I have a Lefty Kreh TFO TiCrX 9 ft., 9 wt., 4 piece, saltwater rod with fighting butt, new, never fished. Model 09 90 4TX. $215, shipped to you. An outstanding saltwater rod. Lower 48, Paypal preferred.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/pro...ods/ticrx.html
RAINBOW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 09:38 PM   #5
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ole Man View Post
There's a seller on eBay (rick6691) that has a Sage RPLxi, 9', 9 wt, 5 piece (990-5) for a "Buy It Now" of $300 +$13 shipping. He is in Dallas, Ga. Most of his recent sales have been saltwater fly gear (RPLxi 8 wt, Tibor, etc)--looks like he is getting out of it. Just an fyi.
RPLX is what built Sage. I have a 10wt and a 12wt RPLX. wouldn't trade 'em for anything else. That's a fair deal. Over 1000 hook ups between these rods. That 9 wt sounds like a good deal. You can catch a tarpon on a 9 wt. and everything in between.

You are welcome to borrow my rods if you like
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 04:30 PM   #6
Architorture
Native

got a 9wt Scott S2 and nice Bauer reel, unfished, Im selling for a buddy right up the page.
Architorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 04:50 PM   #7
Trouty Mouth
Native

I'd 2nd (or 3rd) on the Sage RPLXi's. I've had an 8 Wt. for years that I have always loved and have felt no inclination to replace with a "newer" rod. I just picked up a 10 Wt. on ebay for the right price. These rods are getting a little old, but are perfectly functional and the 8-12s often have not been fished a lot and are great buys. Check the grip darkening closely and that will usually tell the story... $300 does sound a little high, but it is a 5 pc. The 3 pc rods can be had for the best price, if you aren't bothered by that...
Trouty Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 04:53 PM   #8
Joe A
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architorture View Post
got a 9wt Scott S2 and nice Bauer reel, unfished, Im selling for a buddy right up the page.
That is an intriguing setup. I have a Scott A4 6wt that I love.

I just bought a rod from a board member, so I am set in that department. I do appreciate all the input.

Thanks friends,

George Anderson and Jimbo Meador were my companions, men who never confuse angling with male bonding: fine dining and gentlemanly hours were out the window. - McGuane
Joe A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 10:24 PM   #9
hlduke82
Native

I have an 8 weight Sage RPLXI. I bought a 9 weight Sage Xi2 and have used it for years it is great. I had an Orvis reel that rusted and now have a Tibor that is great. I would only use Sage and Tibor in the future. If you want my RPLXI you can have it cheap, maybe for a trade. You can pm me if interested.
hlduke82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 10:43 PM   #10
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlduke82 View Post
I have an 8 weight Sage RPLXI. I bought a 9 weight Sage Xi2 and have used it for years it is great. I had an Orvis reel that rusted and now have a Tibor that is great. I would only use Sage and Tibor in the future. If you want my RPLXI you can have it cheap, maybe for a trade. You can pm me if interested.
Tibor Gulfstream and Billy Pate anti reverse. (saves the knuckles on bruisers) yeah baby
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote