NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Environmental / DNR > Environmental Issues / Conservation
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-10, 07:37 PM   #41
Mountainman36
Native

Default yeah this sucks

Im really surprised at this, and also that more folks arent raising hell on the website here.

I love that river, i dont fi**** but 4-5 times a year, but its always been good to me. As a UGA fisheries graduate i have to say that the tailrace is an "unnatural" situation. trout wouldnt be there without the dam, or stocking, so i guess its not as bad as it could be, but i would think a field full of dead cows would **** some folks off too...especially since this can EASILY be prevented.

BUT it will come back pretty quickly. the tribs wont be as affected, and the critter population will quickly recolonize the river - if it even gets that bad.

as a fisherman i think its stupid - this could have waited a few weeks - start now, not 2-3 weeks ago and we would be better off..

TVA could have used this as PR stunt, make it a possative. now its a negative

Lets hope we get some good cloud cover, and possibly rain... although muddy water warms up faster doesnt it?

RPC
Mountainman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 09:04 PM   #42
RoyC
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Addict View Post
So may I ask what is wrong with our DNR? Why have they not put their foot down with the TVA? I thought our DNR is in charge of the fish? They TVA clearly ignored the DNR request to wait and look where we are at. So much for the Trout Capital of Georgia. Its more like the Trout Graveyard of Georgia now.

A common epitaph may read;

" Here lies Big Brother Brown, after many years of outsmarting the anglers it took the ignorance of the TVA to finally take him down" Rest in Peace Brother Brown !!

A little edgy yes but I am very sad for the many businesses that rely on this fishery to survive. BP had to pay the fisherman for their mistakes so maybe the TVA should pay the local businesses the same.

Really you folks that are hell bent on crying fowl about how this is being handled by TVA and Ga DNR should go back and read all of the "Informative Post" from the meeting earlier this year. What about dam failure and flood control have you missed? The dam must be repaired and repairs need to be completed before the spring flooding rains. The loss of fish was pretty much a forgone conclusion 6 months ago. And once this is over, DNR will restock and in a few years the fishery will be back. It is not a pretty thing to see happen, but without the dam they would not be a cold water fishery.

I'm not Retired, Fishing is a Full-Time JOB!
RoyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 09:42 PM   #43
cucarachafly

Quote:
So may I ask what is wrong with our DNR? Why have they not put their foot down with the TVA?
Totally, totally off base here! The DNR and John Damer in particular have done everything humanly possible in trying to limit the damage of this unfortunate, but albeit, necessary event. From my understanding the DNR on more than one occassion asked the TVA to delay the start of the drawdown but I think Roy C's explanation above probably best explains why they had to make the decision they had to make. Do I like it? Of course not! Is the TVA making their decisions just to tick us off? I hope not. Not sure why they would want to do that even though they have tried to drown me on a couple of occassions with unannounced and UNNECESSARY releases.

While the DNR may have control over the fish, they have no control of the dam, which is 100% owned and operated by the TVA. In other words, the DNR really has no foot to put down.

That be said, however, I have faith, again like Roy C said, that the DNR will have this "unnatural" trout fishery back to normal as quickly as possible. Now if we can just talk them into some special regs when that time comes!
Old 08-30-10, 09:56 PM   #44
Trout Addict
Stocker

OK fair enough. Letís see if the TVA gets the project completed by Spring. Until then, you can be RIGHT since we are all RIGHT. Meanwhile, the local businesses can suffer while you go get your retirement check out of the mail box. 30 days would have made a world of difference. By the time the water being pumped raised above the thermo cline cooler days and nights would be here to help cool the water. That is all the DNR wanted was for them to wait 30 days. Furthermore, since when can anyone predict what will happen in the spring with regard to rain? The Spring of 2010 was drier than the Fall of 2009. Here are the totals for Fannin County;

October 2009 7.34 in
November 2009 7.58 in
December 2009 8.87 in
January 2010 7.88 in
February 2010 5.41 in
March 2010 4.83 in
April 2010 4.63 in

It looks like the TVA got you hook, line and sinker. No pun intended.
Trout Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 10:48 PM   #45
cucarachafly

Quote:
Until then, you can be RIGHT since we are all RIGHT. Meanwhile, the local businesses can suffer while you go get your retirement check out of the mail box.
Not sure I understand these two comments. What are you suggesting? And what does a retirement check have to do with the obvious suffering SOME local businesses may experience?
Quote:
Furthermore, since when can anyone predict what will happen in the spring with regard to rain? It looks like the TVA got you hook, line and sinker. No pun intended.
Only history, and 30 years of it, is anyone's best guess at best.
Jan. 5.2"
Feb. 5.2"
Mar. 6.2"
Apr. 4.7"
May 4.8"
Jun. 4.3"
Jul. 4.9"
Aut. 4.4"
Sep. 4.3"
Oct. 3.8"
Nov. 4.5"
Dec. 4.9"

(From Weatherbase.com)
Old 08-31-10, 10:51 AM   #46
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
Toccoa River Watch

This thread is being created to serve as a place for all of us to track the developments on the Toccoa tailwater as they occur regarding the Lake Blue ridge draw-down and resulting threat to the Toccoa river fishery.

This is not a place to vent about the drawdown, argue about river access rights, etc. The purpose of this thread is to allow us to exchange and relate current information so that we might stay informed on the realities of the situation and be better prepared to deal with and assist in helping to preserve this and similar fisheries in the future.

Please post your streamside observations, temperature data, etc in this thread so that we can have a consolidated source of information to refer to. The health of one of one of Georgia's great tailwaters is at stake here and we need to stay informed and share information so that we can better influence and assist with decisions concerning this and future lake draw downs.
If you are not providing data or direct observations, take it to another thread. There are about 3 of them already started.
THE EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 10:51 AM   #47
F.A.R.R.
Native

Like others have said the draw down is neccessary. The fish that will die as a result of that certainly is unfortunate. I think it is even harder for those who consider the Toccoa their "home river". The bright side is that the the trout fishery is a renewable resource. With a little time and effort it will return. I can remember on drought years on the Hiawasse tailwater experiencing a similar (but not the same) thing. It's just tough for those who keep the river close to watch it happen, but it will return.
F.A.R.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 07:20 PM   #48
oyster
NGTO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.A.R.R. View Post
Like others have said the draw down is neccessary. The fish that will die as a result of that certainly is unfortunate. I think it is even harder for those who consider the Toccoa their "home river". The bright side is that the the trout fishery is a renewable resource. With a little time and effort it will return. I can remember on drought years on the Hiawasse tailwater experiencing a similar (but not the same) thing. It's just tough for those who keep the river close to watch it happen, but it will return.
I think the biggest reason this issue is such a hot one is that while the draw-down was unavoidable, the fish kill (and potential bug kill) WAS avoidable. While you can dump more fish into the river, we can't re-stock the famous sulfur hatches which feed the fish.

Anyway, to the point...

A couple of mornings ago we took temps. at all three public accesses, here are the results.

dam - 76 deg.
Curtis Switch - 76 deg.
Horseshoe Bend - 76 deg.

These readings were taken about 10am.

The interesting thing is that, in the morning at least, the temperatures were no longer rising the further downstream you go. With night time temps in the low 50's and the feeder creeks cooling more quickly than the lake, we might actually see a cooling trend from the dam to Horseshoe Bend. Keep your fingers crossed for a hand from mother nature and maybe we can hang on to a few of those wild browns.
oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 08:41 PM   #49
HYDEMASTER
Native

Unhappy I'm afraid she's done!

Water temp at my place yesterday ( Hogback area ) was 77 at 6pm ( during generation ). No sign of fish whatsoever. This morning it was 74 at 7am ( no generation ). I spoke with 6 fishermen floating the river and all reported zero trout caught, zero trout seen. One did say he had caught 2 suckers and 2 bream. This is very sad. May take a few years, but it will come back. Don't underestimate mother nature!
HYDEMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 08:35 PM   #50
oyster
NGTO Sponsor

Default observed

Riley and I floated the river on low water today from about the midpoint between Tammen and Curtis Switch, to our take-out at Curtis Switch, taking measurements and looking (not fishing) for fish. Here is what we found...

Temp. at 10am two miles below Tammen (no generation) = 74 deg.

Temp. at 1:30 take-out at Curtis Switch (no generation) = 75 deg.

We observed a handful of trout during our 3.5 hour float. All of them appeared to be brown trout (rainbows nowhere to be seen) and all were clearly struggling (mouth open, very unresponsive).

When we returned to get the drop-off car the river had come up. It was chocolate milk brown and the temp. = 77.5 deg.

Freestone streams in the area (at similar elevations) are running in the mid 60's, so while mother nature is clearly doing her job, it could be awhile before she can overcome the inflated temps. created by the draw-down.
oyster is offline   Reply With Quote