NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-18, 10:08 AM   #1
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Default Advise on fishing the Chattahoochee WMA

I fly fished the Hooch above Helen in the WMA several times recently, a couple of really good days, and some not so good days. I really like that stretch of the Hooch, and would like to be able to fish it on a consistent basis. Anyone care to give some advice on how and where to fly fish it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-15-18, 02:05 AM   #2
Speck
Hall of Fame Member, Moderator

Hooch WMA winning formula is pretty simple but they're also pretty finicky.

1. Be the first one there.
2. Get away from the crowds.
3. Go midweek.

Follower of Christ
Pursuer of trout
-------------------------------------------------
"Your genuine action will explain itself and will explain your other genuine actions. Your conformity explains nothing." -- Emerson
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 08:52 AM   #3
natureman
Native

I agree with what Speck said. I fish it a lot and was just there Friday and did ok. The stretch from the game check-in station upstream fishes pretty well. Get away from the crowds.
natureman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 09:12 AM   #4
jonmo
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureman View Post
I agree with what Speck said. I fish it a lot and was just there Friday and did ok. The stretch from the game check-in station upstream fishes pretty well. Get away from the crowds.
+1 on what Speck and natureman suggested.

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-18, 06:47 AM   #5
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Thanks everyone for the good advice, including a couple of PM's that are not shown here. Tried following Speck's rule #1 Saturday morning, got there really early, but there were others that got there even earlier. I plan on walking in at the game check-in station and giving that a try.
Old 07-16-18, 07:30 AM   #6
splatek16

Hillis, I'm late to the party here, but wanted to mention, Tata a great place to fish. It's where I got my start in wild trout fishing. Keep in mind there are a rib of other small streams within throwing distance from that area.
So once you master that, which won't take long as good as you are, you can explore more streams, endless water... Sort of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-18, 11:34 AM   #7
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
Hillis, I'm late to the party here, but wanted to mention, Tata a great place to fish. It's where I got my start in wild trout fishing. Keep in mind there are a rib of other small streams within throwing distance from that area.
So once you master that, which won't take long as good as you are, you can explore more streams, endless water... Sort of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve,
Thanks for the positive vibes. Unfortunately I am not a very good fly fisherman. I can catch freshly stocked stockers, but once they have been in the water for a while, all bets are off. So, it might take a while to master fishing for stockers that have made it this far up river, or down river, or wild trout in this section, whichever the case may be. That is not to say that I would not love to try it, and it sounds as if the section of river we are talking about here would be a pretty place to learn. Thanks again.
Old 07-16-18, 12:37 PM   #8
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLIS LANIER View Post
Steve,
Thanks for the positive vibes. Unfortunately I am not a very good fly fisherman. I can catch freshly stocked stockers, but once they have been in the water for a while, all bets are off. So, it might take a while to master fishing for stockers that have made it this far up river, or down river, or wild trout in this section, whichever the case may be. That is not to say that I would not love to try it, and it sounds as if the section of river we are talking about here would be a pretty place to learn. Thanks again.
Hillis, you are too humble. I've seen you wrangle trouts by the dozen from Amicalola. And wild fish are generally easier to catch, in my opinion. They are much quicker, but in many cases will eat just about anything. I haven't tried an empty hook, but I bet you'd get one to hit it...

Good luck. You will slay them waters!
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-18, 03:58 PM   #9
jonmo
Native

HILLIS - I have not had the opportunity to fish with you, but if splatek vouches for your skills, then you are probably selling yourself short. Use what you have learned already and enjoy some time in really beautiful surroundings - that also hold trout just waiting for your offerings. Keep us posted!

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-18, 08:31 PM   #10
Brotherbear
Native

I second Natureman a nice little gorge up there.