NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-18, 09:58 AM   #1
DaddySteve
Native

Default Any Interest in Mountain Biking to Small Stream?

Looking for another person(s) to do a day trip into the Cohuttas. (Wed,Thurs,Fri) are the days I have off now. You need to have at least average mountain biking experience ( ability to descend steep rocky terrain). Spoke to a friend who rode the trail last weekend. It is in excellent condition and mostly clear of downed trees. I have been wanting to hit this trail for years and now is the perfect time. Basically descend the trail, stop and fish along the way. PM me for more details.
DaddySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 11:55 AM   #2
The Snag Whisperer
Native

You forgot to mention the insanely steep ascent out of that hot and steamy poison ivy patch.
The Snag Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 01:29 PM   #3
mudrun
Native

I'm making some assumptions about where you're going but if it's where I'm thinking ... I am betting you want a second party to park a car somewhere north of Gates Chapel precisely so you don't have to climb back up the gorge of doom. That's a diabolically steep and narrow hike with feet, let alone using something that rolls.

Some beautiful water back there, but have always heard it's not very productive. I fish on the other side of the mountain ridge line when I head this way although you can't take bikes over there (and even if you could, it wouldn't be a great idea as you'd spend 40% of your time lifting it over fallen trees).

Check the USFS alerts and maps page before you go - JRT trail heads are still closed down, I think. Have fun and post pics!
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 08:55 PM   #4
I_got_skunked
Native

Water may be a bit on the warm side there at the moment...

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 12:31 PM   #5
DaddySteve
Native

Going to recon it tomorrow. No fishing just MTBing. I'll post pics when I get back.
DaddySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 01:41 PM   #6
Lil' Heff
Stocker

Sounds like a lot of fun! When your done, post some pics of the ride and the fish!
Lil' Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 02:05 PM   #7
The Snag Whisperer
Native

Take a thermometer, please, and report back!
The Snag Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-18, 08:20 AM   #8
random_lengths
Native

Be aware..... mountain bikes are allowed not in Federally-designated Wilderness Areas.

Keep your rod tip out of the wheel spokes!
random_lengths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-18, 09:16 AM   #9
iso1600
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_lengths View Post
Be aware..... mountain bikes are allowed not in Federally-designated Wilderness Areas.

Keep your rod tip out of the wheel spokes!
BINGO

https://www.fs.fed.us/visit/know-bef...ountain-biking

this is akin to using scented bait like GULP! on a wild stream. It's against the rules.

There are those who are working to change it, there are those who argue against it, but thems the rules currently in place, at the federal level.

I don't think I've ever been up there this late in the summer, I would be VERY curious about water levels and temps.
Old 09-07-18, 09:40 AM   #10
ChaChung
Native

I thought bikes weren't allowed on the trails as well.

I am also a mountain biker and have backpacked the Cohutta a number of times. I think it would be a lot more fun to hike in then fish not having to worry about moving your bike from hole to hole and stream crossing after stream crossings.

I am not a hunter but I think hunting season starts pretty soon so if you're going to be whizzing around in the woods where people are hunting, make sure you wear your orange.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote