NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-18, 10:10 PM   #1
treefishin
Stocker

Talking Wolf Creek and Near Vogel

Itís rare that I get the chance to trout fish. Iíll be at Vogel a few days soon, and Iíd love to get in some stream fishing at or near Vogel. As best I can tell, Wolf Creek isnít on the stocking schedule. Is it never stocked? Why not? Any other good streams that are easily accessible near Vogel? Iím in Ďthe nice carí this trip, so I canít be barreling down bad roads.

Iíve mostly done catch and release fishing, but it would be nice to take three or four this time. I ainít greedy.

Please message me or post...within the forum guidelines, of course.

Thanks.

treefishin
treefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 09:07 AM   #2
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

IDK if Wold Creek gets stocked, but the lake definitely does. Between fish moving up, and the little wild bows, I'm sure you can probably find a few fish. If you decide to do some exploring, the Cooper's Cr area isn't too far away, I'd start there.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 09:17 AM   #3
HILLIS LANIER
Native

I agree with fishinbub, Coopers Creek would be a good area to explore. Also, Rock Creek, in the Coopers Creek area. About a half hour's drive in the other direction from Vogel is Smith Creek in Unicoi State Park. If you want to keep some of the trout fish Smith Creek north of the lake. Best fishing however might be in the DH section of Smith below the lake, but it is catch and release.
Old 04-10-18, 09:26 AM   #4
narcodog
Native

Hit the Nottley, just go north on 129 until you cross the bridge on the left is an old fruit stand. Park there and fish down stream. The land owners have no restrictions.
narcodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 10:17 AM   #5
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
Hit the Nottley, just go north on 129 until you cross the bridge on the left is an old fruit stand. Park there and fish down stream. The land owners have no restrictions.
I have never fly fished the Nottley, but I believe the fruit stand on 129 would be near one of my favorite BBQ joints, Jim's Smokin Butts BBQ, but be prepared for a line out the door. I believe it is only open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I have fished the lake at Vogel often, and always go to Jim's Smokin Butts afterwards, if they are open.
Old 04-10-18, 10:32 PM   #6
treefishin
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbub View Post
IDK if Wold Creek gets stocked, but the lake definitely does. Between fish moving up, and the little wild bows, I'm sure you can probably find a few fish. If you decide to do some exploring, the Cooper's Cr area isn't too far away, I'd start there.
My lake fishing skills are worse than my stream fishing skills, but I spent a few hours around that lake and even waded far out from the mouth of Wolf Creek...alas, no luck. I also cast out from the bank as far as I could in the direction of the drain valve...no luck.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-10-18, 10:40 PM   #7
treefishin
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLIS LANIER View Post
I agree with fishinbub, Coopers Creek would be a good area to explore. Also, Rock Creek, in the Coopers Creek area. About a half hour's drive in the other direction from Vogel is Smith Creek in Unicoi State Park. If you want to keep some of the trout fish Smith Creek north of the lake. Best fishing however might be in the DH section of Smith below the lake, but it is catch and release.
Thanks. Iíll probably hit Smith when Iím staying sometime at Unicoi. The road to Rock Creek doesnít work for the ďnice carĒ, but thanks. I think I tried Cooper a couple of years ago. I seem to recall the road being similar. I did tie into a strong rainbow in deep water under the bridge, but he pounded my rig and left me with just monofilament.

treefishin
Old 04-10-18, 10:58 PM   #8
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefishin View Post
My lake fishing skills are worse than my stream fishing skills, but I spent a few hours around that lake and even waded far out from the mouth of Wolf Creek...alas, no luck. I also cast out from the bank as far as I could in the direction of the drain valve...no luck.

Any suggestions?
Go over to the dam and slowly strip small weighted streamers.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 11:41 PM   #9
treefishin
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbub View Post
Go over to the dam and slowly strip small weighted streamers.
Appreciate the tip. I believe when I fished it before, I switched to spinning gear and worked spinners.

treefishin
Old 04-10-18, 11:47 PM   #10
treefishin
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
Thank you for the advice, narcodog. How do you know that? I see miles and miles of trout water on the Ga stream map. With the exception of water that is directly accessible via forest service roads, I have no clue as to where I can fish, and where I'd be trespassing. I might post a separate thread devoted to this topic.

treefishin