NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-18, 08:38 PM   #1
Lumis
Native
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lawrenceville
Posts: 305
Post When is the Amicalola wadable?

Basically, I've been watching the Amicalola for a week or two now. I want to fish it. I've been watching the discharge and gage height, trying to put data together.
Link: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?02390000

I've read up that the Amicalola is not suitable for wading when the height is above greater than or equal to 1.5. Currently at 1.18, looks decent.

Current CFS is 296 which is close to the 25 year median daily. Which basically means it's at a fairly normal discharge.

Yet, when I asked the wise Jeff Durniak, he says he would not recommend it at it's current state. Cold and dangerous he says. He told me to "ask the experts"

So.. do any of you have buckets of expert Amicalola knowledge you'd like to dump on me? What am I not seeing in these statistics? I'd really like to visit
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 08:59 PM   #2
JHexom
Native
 
JHexom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Dahlonega
Posts: 76
Default

I fished it both last week and today and it was fine. Water was almost totally clear today and caught good numbers. Just as with any river or stream though, you always have to be careful. Get out there and see what you feel most comfortable wading in though, everybodyís different.
JHexom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 09:14 PM   #3
Lumis
Native
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lawrenceville
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHexom View Post
I fished it both last week and today and it was fine. Water was almost totally clear today and caught good numbers. Just as with any river or stream though, you always have to be careful. Get out there and see what you feel most comfortable wading in though, everybodyís different.
Personally, I'm still scared of the deeper waters. I try not to step into anything that goes past thighs, though I prefer to go no deeper than my knees.

How deep does the Ami usually go?
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 09:18 PM   #4
Jakkbauer
Native
 
Jakkbauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: East Cobb
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumis View Post
Personally, I'm still scared of the deeper waters. I try not to step into anything that goes past thighs, though I prefer to go no deeper than my knees.

How deep does the Ami usually go?
When I was green I had some rubber waders. I walked too far into the Ami. A cartoon like struggle ensued with me grabbing twigs that broke and eventually clawing onto a rock and slowly grinding off of it with my nails... Ended up putting my feet out, caught some traction and stood upright, waders full. Still had my rod in one hand, I never even tried to use two hands to save my own life.

I'm glad I didn't die or my dog would have just wandered the river until who knows what.

Be careful out there buddy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 10:00 PM   #5
Lumis
Native
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lawrenceville
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkbauer View Post
When I was green I had some rubber waders. I walked too far into the Ami. A cartoon like struggle ensued with me grabbing twigs that broke and eventually clawing onto a rock and slowly grinding off of it with my nails... Ended up putting my feet out, caught some traction and stood upright, waders full. Still had my rod in one hand, I never even tried to use two hands to save my own life.

I'm glad I didn't die or my dog would have just wandered the river until who knows what.

Be careful out there buddy.
Well the question be, how deep did were you?
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 10:24 PM   #6
JHexom
Native
 
JHexom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Dahlonega
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumis View Post
Personally, I'm still scared of the deeper waters. I try not to step into anything that goes past thighs, though I prefer to go no deeper than my knees.



How deep does the Ami usually go?

Itíll go as deep as you want it to haha. You can wade most of the river without having to go over mid-thigh if you donít want to. Of course there are spots that are deeper than others though, and just as always, gotta pay attention on where youíre stepping.
JHexom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 11:19 PM   #7
Kelly Hinson
Native
 
Kelly Hinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Woodstock
Posts: 220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumis View Post
Well the question be, how deep did were you?
I have fished the AMI on and off for 4 years and gone swimming a number of times as well with my waders on as well.

Rule of thumb if at 53 bridge, water table should be below 1.0 and rock tops visible out of the water. If
you are in the DH area the 2nd concrete pier looks out on a strong run and is deep. take care.

Wear a life preserver and make sure you are looking at the bottom of where you are walking; you can be up to your chest in a few steps. I am an old fart but can assure you that if you go fishing there use caution.

Kelly Hinson
Kelly Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 11:52 PM   #8
Lumis
Native
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lawrenceville
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Hinson View Post
I have fished the AMI on and off for 4 years and gone swimming a number of times as well with my waders on as well.

Rule of thumb if at 53 bridge, water table should be below 1.0 and rock tops visible out of the water. If
you are in the DH area the 2nd concrete pier looks out on a strong run and is deep. take care.

Wear a life preserver and make sure you are looking at the bottom of where you are walking; you can be up to your chest in a few steps. I am an old fart but can assure you that if you go fishing there use caution.

Kelly Hinson
I guess you would not advise going just yet with it being 1.18. Though it seems to go down so slowly. With all the recent rain, I'm having trouble believing the gage ever drops below 1 in the spring.
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-18, 07:43 AM   #9
weeble70
Stocker
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: kennesw
Posts: 8
Default

Iíve been fishing up there for the past eight or more years. I often check the gauges on line but mostly just go for it if itís blown out at 53 bridge... go to steel bridge , yes it will be faster water but it much wider there ad can still be waded
weeble70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-18, 12:14 PM   #10
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director
 
THE EG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: East Cherokee County, GA
Posts: 6,738
Default

Hmm. I've been fishing the AMi since the beginning of the DH. This is all from memory but early on 1.0 was pretty standard flow. For the past few years that seemed to drop to .75 or .8. Seems recently it is up around 1.0 again. I've waded it up to about as high as 1.5 but it was pretty serious flow at the time. I would not go in above that unless you are as study as a tree. All that is a personal choice that you have to decide. Be safe.

Lots of drop offs also in that river.

One last thing, put a change of clothes in your vehicle if you are new to trout fishing in the cold weather. You will eventually need it. Hypothermia can be dangerous.
__________________
If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech
THE EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright 2010 - North Georgia Trout Online - All Rights Reserved