NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-18, 12:31 PM   #1
vancheesey
Native

Default World’s dumbest trout

If anyone is curious, the world’s dumbest trout is currently chillin at JB...it’s a 14” brown and it will eat absolutely anything...I know this because it’s the first trout I’ve ever caught on a fly I tied...I briefly considered killing it just to remove it’s stupid genes from the local gene pool but released it instead...
Old 10-08-18, 03:39 PM   #2
Mattos
Stocker

So youre saying I've got a chance!
Mattos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-18, 03:49 PM   #3
jgraham140
Native

Not as dumb as the trout in my icon. It is a west slope cutthroat that I caught twice within 5 minutes. It was on Brushy Fork, a tributary of the upper Lochsa River near the Idaho-Montana border. I was with biologists from the USGS Western Fisheries Research Center in Seattle and we were using flies to catch trout for DNA analysis. I caught a fish, clipped part of its caudal fin for a DNA analysis, and released it back into the stream. It swam right back to its place in the pool, joining several other fish I was also trying to catch, and immediately took the same fly on the next cast. Now that is stupid.

John
jgraham140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-18, 04:37 PM   #4
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Not sure but you are most likely the only human to catch a brown that size on the hooch as the first on a fly you tied. Stellar man. I am sure there is a better way of phrasing that but my brain is not working well right now.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-18, 05:57 PM   #5
muddy waters
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Not sure but you are most likely the only human to catch a brown that size on the hooch as the first on a fly you tied. Stellar man. I am sure there is a better way of phrasing that but my brain is not working well right now.
From the way the folks running some of the local fly shops sell it, you couldn’t snag a hooch brown on a fly that costs less than $3.50.
muddy waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-18, 07:18 PM   #6
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy waters View Post
From the way the folks running some of the local fly shops sell it, you couldn’t snag a hooch brown on a fly that costs less than $3.50.

Haha.
Hilarious.
True but hilarious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-18, 09:39 PM   #7
Trout "R"
NGTO Hall of Fame

That's Awesome!
Now as a typical fly fisherman, what will you say when you cant buy a bite next week?
Here are a few excuses I have used , bad weather, bad flow, wrong temps, wrong location, wrong cricket.
But what it really boils down to is you are not hold your mouth right as my grand father use to say.
Keep tying its fun!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-18, 01:23 PM   #8
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Dumb?

I don't know if something with a brain the size of a pea should be called dumb - do they have enough brain to be dumb? 8- )

But if we are going to call them dumb, then my nominee is a largemouth bass about 3 pounds or so in a private pond I fish when I go visit family in Ohio. The golden hour was fast approaching when this fish busted a huge black popper from a dinner plate size hole in some lily pads I was fishing and promptly broke me off on the stems. Light is fading and with now slightly shaky fingers I tie on my last popper and manage to get it back to just about the same hole in the pads. A nice "plop" when it lands, I wait until the ripples all go quiet and give it one good twitch. Bam! Water explodes, hook set and several minutes later I reach down to lip this nice bass and there are two poppers! Both mine.

So is this a dumb fish, or maybe he just felt sorry me, or maybe the first one was kind of stinging his jaw so he figures get caught once more and maybe this angler will remove both poppers? 8- )
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 04:27 PM   #9
orey10m
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES;
so he figures get caught once more and maybe this angler will remove both poppers? 8- )

I was wondering the same thing when I caught a rainbow on the hooch recently with a huge bass worm trying to come out it’s hind end... He bit a poorly presented fly and I like to think he was just looking for some help passing that worm and hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-18, 05:08 PM   #10
Da Da's Fishing
Internet Technologies Officer, Director, Hall of Fame Member

I caught that trout several years ago at the dam. I think he took my fly out of pity. I am glad he is alive and doing well.

DD F