NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Salt Water Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-18, 10:29 AM   #1
orey10m
Native

Default PCB recommendations

Headed to Panama city Beach this weekend and staying on the beach. I haven't really done the saltwater /surf thing much with a fly rod but would be interested in some recommendations around that.

(I have have a big surf spinning rod and can lob some heavy weight/circle hooks out there, but that isn't really my favorite type of fishing. Sharks, rays, etc..i get it. Reeling them in from the beach just doesnt really get me going.)

If that would be my best bet let me know, but I'm not leaning towards trying that.

As for fly fishing:
-Do I just get up super early so that the waves aren't breaking much yet?
From what I've tried in the past, it seems a bit fruitless casting into breaking waves to have your fly presented for maybe a second or two and then need to be stripped back at you.
- I have an 8/9 weight rod, with a big cheap White River reel on it from bass pro. Assuming the reel should be fine? and if it goes through hell I'm not too worried about breaking/messing it up. That being said I will make sure to wash it out with freshwater after use and all that.

- what types of flies? Shrimp looking things or baitfish imitating things? I have some salt water hooks and bucktail and other fly tying materials so I could try to whip some stuff up between now and then.

- I'll be staying at a condo on the beach, so I'd like the convenience of just walking out and fishing from there. But I also could try to do what counselorman just posted about and instead go fish some smaller creeks with lighter tackle. Any recommendations on that front? Not really sure what types of areas I'd be looking for . Never caught speckled trout though and that would be cool.

Think that's all my questions for now. Let me know what you'd do if you were in this area!

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-18, 12:30 PM   #2
Dylar
Native

For surf fishing, you generally want an intermediate line (full slow sinking line, not an intermediate tip). This will pull the fly and line below the waves so you can make a full retrieve instead of immediately having it all piled back at your feet. Keep in mind too that most fish hunting in the surf are going to be quite close to the beach, in the suds where the waves are breaking. Casting parallel to the beach and fishing the troughs between waves is often very effective

Time on tide is always the trickiest thing to nail down in the salt if you're fishing an unfamiliar area. In the surf, I would generally target the last couple of hours of the falling tide into the first couple of hours of the rising tide. You want to fish beach structure, which low tide may actually expose. Once the exposed beach starts to be covered, it's an exercise in reading water. Sloughs—which will appear as areas of calm water where there should be breaking waves—are money. If you can find shoals that jut out a bit from the beach (you can spot them because the waves break farther from shore where there's a shoal or bar), these are also good targets. Watch the wave patterns. Areas where you have waves consistently coming together at angles trap bait at the apex of the angles, these spots are money too. Foam and rip lines can indicate the same thing more subtly (intersecting currents). Basically, you want to target anything that is going to trap or funnel bait, or provide a good ambush point or cruising location for predator fish.

I would bring a mix of shrimp, small crab and baitfish patterns. Clousers and Surf Candies, of course. Bring some unweighted patterns, some on bead chain and some with big dumbbells.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 05:00 PM   #3
Chsmith_jr
Native

We stayed just west of PCB on 30A for a few days earlier in the summer, right after Alberto came through. I fished the surf a couple of times and fished Choctawhatchee Bay one morning. I'm no expert, but I can tell you what worked for me.

I was throwing an 8wt with a floating line with 8ft of 20lb flouro from the fly line to the fly. I had no problems with it. The "waves" in the gulf are almost nothing, even the morning after a tropical storm.

I didn't want to invest in a bunch of flies when I don't know when I'll be back in the salt, so I just bought a pack of #2 saltwater hooks and tied up a bunch of clousers. I only had a natural colored bucktail at home. So, I tied some a little sparse with the tan colored fibers from the top of the bucktail that looked shrimp-ish. I left some white over white. Then I took a couple sharpies and made a couple "chartreuse" over white and blue over white. I caught fish on all of them.

In the surf, there was a small trough right up next to the beach. In places, it would get waist deep or a little deeper. But maybe twenty yards out there was a sandbar. I waded out to the sandbar and then casted back into the trough, as parallel to the beach as possible. The first morning out I caught a ladyfish and then hooked and lost something that I could not even slow down. The second morning out I hadn't caught anything, saw a pretty good sized shark within casting distance, and decided I was done. The tide is a non-issue on the gulf coast as far as I could tell.

In the bay, I waded a giant flat. Most of the water was between mid-thigh and belly-button deep. I sight-fished to a few fish with some success and then blind casted into any deeper water I saw. Again, I was just throwing clousers and I caught fish.

I'm sure you could catch more and bigger fish with some other gear and better technique, but I had a fun trip that only cost me the three day license, a spool of 20lb flouro, and a pack of hooks.
Chsmith_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 12:04 AM   #4
Mog
Hall of Fame Member

I've never fished PCB but have several times further south. The waves and tides tended to mess with the line in the surf. It made all the difference when I started using a stripping basket/belt. You can buy or make one pretty easily. In addition to patterns stated I have done well with a schminnow pattern too.
Old 08-22-18, 05:49 PM   #5
djangofly
Native

No input, but I have Google researched and plan to take a trip down there later in the fall so please report back with results!

You may also want to check out St. Andrews State Park over there - looks fishy to me. I also think they rent kayaks there if you want to explore.
djangofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 04:57 PM   #6
djangofly
Native

Any results to report? Hoping to head to that area in the next couple of months.
Old 09-14-18, 07:55 AM   #7
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...when we left Mexico Beach last Tuesday, there were local tv news reports of a red algae bloom in PC...Cath had witnessed it at Mex Beach, but it was like in Jaws..."...we don't have a shark problem..."none of the locals except tv news would even acknowledge it...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-18, 08:29 AM   #8
djangofly
Native

I had wondered about the red tide issue but thought, based on the reporting, most of that was occurring/contained farther south. Good to know.

Edit: And, just saw this posted on Moldychum this morning.

https://www.bullsugar.org/cyanobacte...urce=bullsugar

Last edited by djangofly; 09-14-18 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-14-18, 10:03 AM   #9
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...I don't know if it has shown up as far East as Port St. Joe or not, but I have videos of it in Mex Beach and the PC news tv channel showed dead fish washing up...the locals are not publicizing, as I am sure it affects all their livelihoods...Cath only experienced it at the beach Sunday, 9-9-18 before we came home Tuesday, 9-11-18...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Old 09-14-18, 11:56 AM   #10
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

http://www.newsherald.com/photogalle...912009992/PH/1

...just saw this...

...sis-in-law has rented a place on the beach the last week of Sept. and the first week of Oct. ... hope it clears up sooner than later...

Blessings!

Jimmy