NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-18, 06:50 PM   #11
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntfish View Post
Don't think they would complete with trout for resources since they eat phytoplankton.
Good to know. I know a bit about herring, but not in riverine environments. I definitely ainít educated on em. Looking forward to learning some more about em.
Old 09-20-18, 07:31 PM   #12
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave375 View Post
It is very interesting. I know very little about the river down in Stiperland. To prove my ignorance do you believe they swam upstream or went through 2 dams to get there?
I was wondering the same thing, but now that these other guys are reporting them being relatively thick in the Buford TW, I think they must have come down from Lanier. Unlike trout and striper, I just don't see how they are evolved to move that far upstream to have come from West Point. We saw them around mid-river weedbeds and sand bars, so they were definitely preferring the softer water there, out of the current.

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-18, 10:51 PM   #13
muddy waters
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I was wondering the same thing, but now that these other guys are reporting them being relatively thick in the Buford TW, I think they must have come down from Lanier. Unlike trout and striper, I just don't see how they are evolved to move that far upstream to have come from West Point. We saw them around mid-river weedbeds and sand bars, so they were definitely preferring the softer water there, out of the current.

FM
I cant tell them apart but i saw schools of 8' shad or herring up in Long Island Creek at the Whitewater Creek put-in about 2 weeks go. They were hanging out around timber and sand flats but weren't interested in anything i threw at them. I wonder if the stripers are hanging around later while there are big baitfish schooling.
muddy waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-18, 07:03 AM   #14
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Fame

The herring we saw were about 4" long. Herring are shaped like a finger, and gizzard shad are shaped like a hand.

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-18, 10:07 AM   #15
skibum
Hall of Fame Member

We've seen BIG shad as well....
Old 09-21-18, 10:42 AM   #16
groundpounder
Hall of Fame Member, Former Director

I think we need to introduce striper into the Buford tailwater to take care of this herring introduction!

I saw some blueback herring yesterday both live ones and dead ones in the tailwater yesterday.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-18, 11:54 AM   #17
Dsaporsky
Native

So does that mean I should go somewhere other than the tailwater to fish this weekend? I don't have a streamer rod... Maybe the Toccoa? Anybody been there lately?
Dsaporsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-18, 12:04 PM   #18
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsaporsky View Post
So does that mean I should go somewhere other than the tailwater to fish this weekend? I don't have a streamer rod... Maybe the Toccoa? Anybody been there lately?
I didn't have any luck tossing streamers the other day - although having it break off my weak little nymphing rod didn't help, I guess. Buggers have been doing ok, but really, I've still been having luck on smaller bugs. The bows that are still left will crush a well presented bug; the browns have been getting after them as well.

I will be interested to see if our study shows an increase in fish bones in the guts of the browns as a function of date. I sure hope they ARE eating those herring so that they get chunky, fat, and grow... I'm ready to swap from 6x to 5x, or 4x in order to wrangle in larger, on average, browns... that would be awesome.

All that being said, you might want to avoid the TW because with this weather, I would predict the tube hatch would be in full swing. Last weekend it wasn't terrible: a few folks shared beer and one girl tried to climb in the boat (I have that effect on women, BAHAHAHA), but this might be the last hoorah for tubers... Makes for good slalom, just ask Swamp Angel
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-18, 05:22 PM   #19
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
Last weekend it wasn't terrible: a few folks shared beer and one girl tried to climb in the boat (I have that effect on women, BAHAHAHA),
Pictures required or it didnít happen

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-18, 11:51 PM   #20
UncleJesse
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
I think we need to introduce striper into the Buford tailwater to take care of this herring introduction!

I saw some blueback herring yesterday both live ones and dead ones in the tailwater yesterday.

Stripers up around Suwanee Creek were rumored several years ago, don't know if there was any validity to the rumor or not. There was a very large white carp in the area that could have been mistaken for a striper.

But before you wish for stripers north of Morgan Falls, remember they think trout taste like chicken.