NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-18, 01:09 PM   #1
orey10m
Native

Default My best day on the hooch (+stream born bow?)

Got out yesterday evening and had my best numbers day on the hooch yet. I caught 7 or 8 in about 3 hours while tight lining/euro nymphing.
Guess I'll never be a true "numbers guy" because I lost count after about 5 haha.. I was just having so much fun.

Last time I was out before that I got 5 in about the same amount of time. I'm feeling pretty good..like effort/time spent over the last few years is starting to "pay off",and like I'm starting to dial things in a bit, at least on the technique of tightlining.

Sure I'm not having 20+ fish days but...
I can read water a lot better lately, and just be able to mentally bucket the water I come across into:
1) where fish are most likely to be
2) less likely but still may be there, and
3) probably not worth wasting my time on.

I have been positioning my self a lot better lately..in terms of lining up how my drift needs to be. I can see/feel when my line and fly land "right" and are in the right spot to set themselves up for a productive drift, vs when they're not.

Basically, I guess I've developed some "feel"... and man, is that satisfying. It's the best part of learning anything really.
When you finally get the feel for that snapshot in hockey..

...Start to notice the brush of the ball on your tennis racquet strings

...Find the sweet spot on your foot for a soccer kick.
...Develop that action in your wrist for fast tempo on your hi hats.
...Know how much tension to keep on your senko as it fall and wiggles..to still be able to detect the take but not mess up the action.

Anyway, I hope this brings back some memories for some of you for when you felt things start to "click." For when you started understanding the nuance of what you're trying to do. In fishing or anything else.

Edited to add: my recent "strides" I think are due largely in part to getting to fish a couple times with several of you on here recently..ericklymore, rich, etc. Don't realize how much you learn standing next to someone watching them slay fish in real time.

Also, as mentioned in the title, one of the fish I caught yesterday looks to be streamborn or perhaps from the "fingerling stockers". Check it out. I caught one of these a couple months ago too.
I know some folks on here have been catching them lately too so I wanted to provide my pics. They seem to fight a lot harder than the stockers..anyone else noticed that?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by orey10m; 07-02-18 at 01:22 PM.
orey10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 05:49 PM   #2
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Nice man!!!!

I feels ya on the feels.

Glove side high bar down is a thing of beauty.
Old 07-02-18, 06:23 PM   #3
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Nice, good feeling. And the learning never ends which is wonderful.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 06:25 PM   #4
splatek16

Heck yeah

And always surround yourself with folks better than your and you're always learning

Great looking fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 06:49 PM   #5
gau16
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
Glove side high bar down is a thing of beauty.
Yeah buddy, celly time.

Love the sound of frozen rubber hitting metal.
Old 07-02-18, 06:59 PM   #6
jonmo
Native

Great feeling when all the research, and hard work comes together and results in a day that you had..Way to go - guessing things will only get better from now on!

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 07:47 PM   #7
GT Sailor
Stocker

Great post! I am probably a few months behind you, but had a similar outing at JB yesterday, except my numbers were 3 in the net, and 2 lost on the hook. Still learning to read the water, figure out the flies, and understand how to position the drift, but loving it all. I started with a Hares Ear, with no luck. Moved to a orange/green Wolly Bugger, and they liked that a lot better.

Thanks again for posting!
GT Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 09:10 PM   #8
erikclymore
Native

Congrats on a great day Michael. Browns are worth double too! I intended on hitting the dam as well but made a last minute change of plans and hit JB around the island when I found out they didnít realease that night. Itís been a while and I figured the impending storm would keep most folks away. Iím glad I did. It was one of my better days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Sailor View Post
Great post! I am probably a few months behind you, but had a similar outing at JB yesterday, except my numbers were 3 in the net, and 2 lost on the hook. Still learning to read the water, figure out the flies, and understand how to position the drift, but loving it all. I started with a Hares Ear, with no luck. Moved to a orange/green Wolly Bugger, and they liked that a lot better.

Thanks again for posting!
Were you fishing the Fulton side around the island? I was wearing a green flannel and talked to quite a few of the anglers out that day. It went through spurts for me. I would get into them then after a few hooked fish it seemed like the whole area was spooked so Iíd move on. I was there from 10-5 and probably circled the island 3 times.
erikclymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 09:30 PM   #9
WPrich
Native

Nice man, the special day when everything begins to connect is memorable. Just keep at it you'll soon have the 20+ fish days on a regular, it takes time on the water and being around the right people always helps like you said.
WPrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 09:34 PM   #10
GT Sailor
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikclymore View Post
Were you fishing the Fulton side around the island? I was wearing a green flannel and talked to quite a few of the anglers out that day. It went through spurts for me. I would get into them then after a few hooked fish it seemed like the whole area was spooked so Iíd move on. I was there from 10-5 and probably circled the island 3 times.
I started off just above the island for a while on the Gwinnett side. Walked down the east side, and back around the Fulton side. Didn't have much luck there, but saw someone there up along the Gwinnett shore hook a couple. Decided to move up stream on the Fulton side, found a hole, switched flies, and started to catch. Was there 3-6PM, but didn't really catch until after 4:30 or so. I may have seen you, but didn't want to disturb. I was wearing a ball cap and in a tan shirt.
GT Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote