NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-18, 03:23 PM   #1
splatek16

Default Be... the Heron

I'm not sure where I first heard this saying, but I think it was from the Master Jedi himself, @Dredger. Well, if any of y'all have ever seen me try to wade at the dam you can attest to the fact that I AM NOT THE HERON. In fact, the appearance of my wading could best be described as a cross between a figure skater having a seizure and the latest fad hip hop dance (whichever is worse). I.E., The opposite of graceful. Anyhow, today the dam was playing tricks on us: blew the alarm whistle a few times, apparently just for s**t's and giggles, because the release wasn't scheduled for another couple hours. But, Dave (don't know call id here) and I got a little sketched out and hung on the bank for a few minutes before deciding we'd just risk it for the fish. While hanging on the bank a Blue heron flew right behind us and landed on a downed tree. We marveled at the beauty of the avian and then I recanted a story that was told to me about a heron trying to attack a fish that had jumped while hooked by an angler. Dave's response could be summed up as "unbelievable" with that silent meaning of total B.S. And in fact, I'd never believed the story and was just making small talk while we made the life or death decision to wade under random alarms from the dam.

Once we got back to it and wished each other good luck, I waded upstream, he down. Within about 15-20 minutes I feel a swoosh behind me. The/A heron had landed less than rod length behind me. Then the shadow flew over my head. We were now face to face, except we were both looking into the water when my dry dipped under and I set the hook. His attention became heightened; it looked like he was going to --- and he did. He swiped for my trout then got tangled in my line (no hooks thank goodness) and perched on a rock (the trout was somehow STILL on the hook!) He (the heron) eventually freed himself and I landed the trout, to which he eyed the ENTIRE time. He took flight and landed directly across from me, again. This time I hooked into a decent rainbow (BTW, DNR: thank you for putting these big old fish in the river; they sure are fun to catch!) His attention heightened again. This fish, unlike the small brown I had caught previously, decided to go airborne. This was his chance, but by the time he got those big clumsy wings flapping, the fish was underwater. He jumped again, but the heron just watched. This was a first for me. And, although I know feeding wildlife is a No-No, I forgot my stringer and figured somebody(thing) should eat this glorious trout. So, I tossed the trout over to a small pool and the heron quickly gobbled him up. Watching that thin blue neck expand like the gullet of a python was pretty cool, not gonna lie. He then flew off to the backside of the island. I like to think that the heron's motto is "be the Splatek" ... Seems believable, right?

Anyhow, hope y'all had a great fourth and got on the river today, because them fishes were eating like crazy. Pretty sure I picked up on on an empty hook after all the thread and what not had been stripped off But seriously, compared to yesterday, for me, today was probably my best ever day on the river.
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 05:17 PM   #2
groundpounder
Hall of Fame Member, Former Director

This was years ago back when Slowstreamer and I use to fish the Dam a lot. Saw this heron stalking Sam so I got my camera ready. Sam hooks up and the heron comes in and grabs it flying away with it while Samís reel is screaming. Line finally broke and the heron won.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 05:37 PM   #3
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post

This was years ago back when Slowstreamer and I use to fish the Dam a lot. Saw this heron stalking Sam so I got my camera ready. Sam hooks up and the heron comes in and grabs it flying away with it while Samís reel is screaming. Line finally broke and the heron won.
Oh WOW!
THanks for sharing.
So, this is an actual thing!
Part hilarious, part insane!
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 06:21 PM   #4
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Had one fly away with a stringer once....it rained fish that day. Also had lunges at fish mid fight real close but if you throw them the occasional snack they tend to not do this anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhkgM44cTy8
And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 08:38 PM   #5
orey10m
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
I like to think that the heron's motto is "be the Splatek" ...