NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-18, 03:57 PM   #21
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
It's a good idea to use wading booties, like a wet suit they recirculate warmth through your feet. Ain't saying I don't leave with numb toes and sometimes am shivering, but...

Also, there are things you can do to attenuate the cold setting in so fast - heated socks. Heated hand warmers; warm hats and sleeves. on a 90 degree day with shorts, boots, and a long sleeve shirt on, your top half is warm, sometimes hot and your bottom half is cool, sometimes cold. All that being said, more times than not, in the summer, I find myself dipping my hands in the water to wet my arms and dipping my hat in the water to cool my sweaty head.
or you could just wear waders.

Talking about rock snot. Somewhere around Haw Creek there is a rock that is about six feet long, flat as a table top, but inclined slightly. I got on the top end of that thing one day without a wading staff and began to slide in slow motion. Couldn't think of anything to do to stop. Two friends standing off a way watching me. All we could do was laugh as I slowly slid down.
Must have taken 15 seconds until I went off the end...boom...up to my neck. That cold water sucks the wind right out of ya.
Old 07-17-18, 04:38 PM   #22
richf7
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
Best analogy I have seen about the rocks there. You HAVE to have a wading staff or long handled net to safely get around.
I couldnít wade the Hooch without one.
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 02:21 PM   #23
Brotherbear
Native

when water temp is 50-60 degrees you have 15 min. before loosing dexterity and 1-2- hours before becoming unconscious per the hypothermia tables
Old 07-23-18, 03:29 PM   #24
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherbear View Post
when water temp is 50-60 degrees you have 15 min. before loosing dexterity and 1-2- hours before becoming unconscious per the hypothermia tables
Have you tried it though, lol? It is much different when you are surrounded by 90 degree ambient air temps with humidity in it. It is also why I do not go over waist deep.

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
-Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
-PH
Philhutch80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 03:53 PM   #25
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

I like it so much I swam in it yesterday, ask bigorangefan he saw me.

Ok maybe it wasn't on purpose dang okra.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 04:05 PM   #26
muddy waters
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
Have you tried it though, lol? It is much different when you are surrounded by 90 degree ambient air temps with humidity in it. It is also why I do not go over waist deep.
Most all of my wet wading is in the lower tailrace and most days I leave the river hurting for a big glass of water and some aloe but I've been out there a few times when it got cloudy and it does not take long to get shivering cold when that happens.
muddy waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 09:31 PM   #27
richf7
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
I like it so much I swam in it yesterday, ask bigorangefan he saw me.

Ok maybe it wasn't on purpose dang okra.
How does okra survive in 50 degree water? Iím guessing global warming.
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 10:35 PM   #28
Brotherbear
Native

I have been wading below the dam since it was first stocked and my father caught wind of it. He snagged a spinner 10-20 feet out and made me go after it when stuck on a rock. I was numb in those days in an instant. 45 years of good and bad experience on that river
Old 07-24-18, 06:53 AM   #29
ChaChung
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman1 View Post
Even in cold water, adrenaline can work wonders for you.

I think the year was 99, maybe 2000... this gal and I went on a short hike to High Shoals Falls in Towns County. The hole and small waterfall above the big falls is called the blue hole. Well, the blue hole is a perfect swimming hole. Upon arrival at the blue hole, I thought to myself ďwish I had my eagle claw...Ē I looked at my gal, who, coincidentally was looking at me, and she took her shirt off, then her bra, then her shorts. Normally Iím quick to pick up on this sort of thing, but she was riding commando that day and I didnít know it until then. Iím usually the leader but on this day I was follower, and I remember the initial shock to my peaches when they hit that cold water! It wasnít long, however, before I didnít feel any cold whatsoever!

When you visit this hole on High Shoals, I encourage you to try not to think about this story and just enjoy the fishing... And if you catch one of my little fish, please be a steward and throw them back.
Haha. Great story. I guess high shoals falls were a lot less crowded back then. I have caught fish from there... glad we didn't eat it. Haha

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-18, 09:51 AM   #30
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

I believe that the discharge water is actually colder in summer than winter.
huntfish is online now   Reply With Quote