NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-18, 05:29 AM   #11
eyeflyfish
Native

Its great to be on the river and in the river.

From the looks of the snakes pupils it appears to be the famous water snake.

I can tell you I know didlly about snakes unless their head is blown off with my little 28 gauge.
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-18, 06:18 AM   #12
HILLIS LANIER
Native

A snake swimming that close would have scared the daylights out of me. I noticed you held your ground and kept taking pics. Good report. Good pics. Scary snake, beautiful fish.
Old 05-15-18, 06:26 AM   #13
Swamp Angel
President

Great report, Prowler! I'm especially jealous of the brookie. I haven't caught one of those since I was eleven years old and on my first Boy Scout camping trip in the Smokies nearly 40 years ago. It's also nice to see a river that's not inundated with tubers yet (the 'Hooch hatch near Duluth is already growing).

That snake is a pretty one, but I'm gonna guess that it's a banded water snake. A member we know as "nc rockhopper" would disagree, but hasn't posted here since a little disagreement regarding snakes occurred in the following thread:
Copperhead?

Here's a photo of a copperhead that makes ID unmistakable:

You'll rarely (if ever) find copperheads actually in the water. Their markings are pretty distinct though, so when you see one there ain't no doubt as to what it is. Notice how the markings are very distinct along its body, and how they look like an hourglass turned sideways. A banded water snake's markings are more erratic and resemble stretched spots as opposed to the hourglass shape.

Okay. . . 'nuff said 'bout the snake. Those are some mighty fine fish photos there! I'm quite jealous. I only landed five fish (and about 17 tubers) this weekend. Well done!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-18, 08:15 AM   #14
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post
Great report, Prowler! I'm especially jealous of the brookie. I haven't caught one of those since I was eleven years old and on my first Boy Scout camping trip in the Smokies nearly 40 years ago. It's also nice to see a river that's not inundated with tubers yet (the 'Hooch hatch near Duluth is already growing).

That snake is a pretty one, but I'm gonna guess that it's a banded water snake. A member we know as "nc rockhopper" would disagree, but hasn't posted here since a little disagreement regarding snakes occurred in the following thread:
Copperhead?

Here's a photo of a copperhead that makes ID unmistakable:

You'll rarely (if ever) find copperheads actually in the water. Their markings are pretty distinct though, so when you see one there ain't no doubt as to what it is. Notice how the markings are very distinct along its body, and how they look like an hourglass turned sideways. A banded water snake's markings are more erratic and resemble stretched spots as opposed to the hourglass shape.

Okay. . . 'nuff said 'bout the snake. Those are some mighty fine fish photos there! I'm quite jealous. I only landed five fish (and about 17 tubers) this weekend. Well done!
The brookie was the highlight of the day. It's the second one I have caught in the same area over the last couple weeks. He was strong too and put up a good fight. I think counting that one,I've only caught about 6 brookies on the toccoa tailwater over the last few years so to catch two over the last couple weeks makes me happy. I guess TVA started stocking them regularly this year???

------Team Norvise------
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 06:31 PM   #15
musket
Stocker

I'm not 100% sold on your snake being a water snake. I was always told the all venomous snakes swim with their entie body on top of the water. Yours is pretty close to that. Water snakes swim with about 80% of their body underwater.

If I had been there, I would have seen it as 20 copperheads! LOL

I hope the pic of the swimming copperhead uploaded.

Nope, it failed to upload.

musket is offline   Reply With Quote