NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-18, 09:33 PM   #1
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Default Another good trip to toccoa tailwater

Fished the toccoa tailwater again this weekend and had a great time. I caught plenty of fish, caught one of the nicer bows that I have caught on the tailwater in a while, caught a brookie, but you will see the highlight of the weekend in the video below.

I ran into a guy named Joe on the river. I struck up a conversation with him and found out he was a firefighter. He told me he has been fishing most of his life but was fairly new to fly fishing. He had been trying off and on for a year or two to catch a trout on the fly rod. He said it was a bucket list item for him so I invited him to follow me and see if I could help him. I carried him to a honey hole that was performing well a week or so ago. I helped him with his set up and tied on a streamer that has always worked for me there. I helped him with his casting a bit and his retrieve. He started getting hits right away and then he hooked up!!! He was so excited that he dropped his fly rod and didn't even realize it. I enjoyed seeing him catch his first trout more than any of the ones I caught. Congratulations Joe and thank you for your service.

VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X54BIeqBFBE

Pics

One of the views from our cabin
view by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

Tailwater Brookie
brookie by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

Very respectable tailwater bow
bow3 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

bow4 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

rainbow by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

bownet by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

Streamer of the day
matsuka by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

Beautiful Rainbow
bow2 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

Another meateater
bow by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

------Team Norvise------
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-18, 10:09 PM   #2
bozosnightmare
Native

That is awesome!! I bet he’ll tell that story for a long, long time. Great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bozosnightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-18, 05:17 PM   #3
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

I see you found a use for that UV peacock eye dubbing you picked up! Looking good.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-18, 06:18 PM   #4
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

That's a feel good video right there, thanks for sharing!
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-18, 06:25 PM   #5
Swamp Angel
President

That video and the photos just flat out made my day! I totally "hazz a happy" today!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-18, 08:43 PM   #6
Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
I see you found a use for that UV peacock eye dubbing you picked up! Looking good.
Yep and the zonker strips and orange tungsten beads. Not sure if u can tell from the pic but they had beat the fly so much that the wire ribbing was busted and the zonker was just attached behind the bead. Was still working though. Thanks again for the materials

------Team Norvise------
Old 04-09-18, 08:47 PM   #7
Prowler

Thanks sighter and swamp angel. You should have seen ole Joe. A big burly firefighter was like an eight year old kid with a new toy when he caught that trout. It made standing in the rain worth every minute.

------Team Norvise------
Old 04-10-18, 09:07 AM   #8
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Great view from your cabin, pretty fish, and a neat video! Kevin, you are the man!
Old 04-13-18, 01:42 PM   #9
Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLIS LANIER View Post
Great view from your cabin, pretty fish, and a neat video! Kevin, you are the man!
Thanks hillis let me know when u wanna come up.

------Team Norvise------
Old 04-15-18, 03:13 PM   #10
jgraham140
Native

Looks like the Toccoa is fishing well.

On Joe dropping his rod on landing his first trout on a fly, I've done the same thing with my rod while unhooking a fish. Not once, but several times, and in big fast water. Once, I nearly lost the whole thing.

John
jgraham140 is offline   Reply With Quote