NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-16, 01:35 PM   #1
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Default The Dam 12/7/2016

I was able to get out yesterday afternoon to wet a line and had the esteemed privilege of fishing with the "Trout Whisperer" BigT. Always good to see and fish with him. The dam hasn't cleared any. If anything it has changed from Green pea soup to yoohoo. It was pretty windy throughout the day and it made nymphing tough but we both finished with good numbers. I think all but 2 of mine came on a cannonball which is a new fly I have been trying. I posted it under flytying section a while back. The one good thing about the dam being so stained is having the river virtually to yourself. Other than me and T I only saw one other fisherman. I guess we were the only fools brave enough to wade with 0 visibility. It paid off though!

Some pics from yesterday

------Team Norvise------
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 03:41 PM   #2
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

Well done, my friend!
I trust our newer viewers will notice the size flies pictured. This illustrates the results of "hitting them on the nose" in cloudy water.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 07:32 PM   #3
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

You were killing them man, great to be out there with you. I will be putting something similar to that fly together for sure. I'd rather fish in rain than wind.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 08:04 PM   #4
WesMac
Native

Awesome job! I'm might try out your cannonball fly.
Old 12-08-16, 08:26 PM   #5
Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
You were killing them man, great to be out there with you. I will be putting something similar to that fly together for sure. I'd rather fish in rain than wind.
Me too!! Wind is the enemy!!!

------Team Norvise------
Old 12-08-16, 09:17 PM   #6
joshM
Native

Great video and pictures. Inspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
Well done, my friend!
I trust our newer viewers will notice the size flies pictured. This illustrates the results of "hitting them on the nose" in cloudy water.
So as I have no prior experience with flies could you help explain what you mean? Are the flies much larger than usual? These are wet flies right? Thanks for your help!
joshM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 10:11 PM   #7
Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshM View Post
Great video and pictures. Inspiring.

So as I have no prior experience with flies could you help explain what you mean? Are the flies much larger than usual? These are wet flies right? Thanks for your help!
Hey Josh,

I can't speak for everyone and others might have different opinions but it has been my experience that when the water is cloudy/stained such as the dam is now from lake turnover, it depletes the water from oxygen and seems to make the fish more sluggish so that they are not as actively feeding. Since this is the case, I have had the best success fishing bigger flies and putting them in front of the fish to evoke a strike as opposed to the trout active feeding and searching for food. It held true to my theory yesterday too because I fished a two fly rig with a size 18 midge up top and my cannonball fly which is a size 12 bead head nymph on the bottom. Out of all the fish I caught, only 2 came on the size 18 midge. The rest came on the bigger fly. You have to sort of serve their dinner to them on a platter so to speak. Hope this helps.

------Team Norvise------
Old 12-09-16, 05:03 AM   #8
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Hey Josh,

I can't speak for everyone and others might have different opinions but it has been my experience that when the water is cloudy/stained such as the dam is now from lake turnover, it depletes the water from oxygen and seems to make the fish more sluggish so that they are not as actively feeding. Since this is the case, I have had the best success fishing bigger flies and putting them in front of the fish to evoke a strike as opposed to the trout active feeding and searching for food. It held true to my theory yesterday too because I fished a two fly rig with a size 18 midge up top and my cannonball fly which is a size 12 bead head nymph on the bottom. Out of all the fish I caught, only 2 came on the size 18 midge. The rest came on the bigger fly. You have to sort of serve their dinner to them on a platter so to speak. Hope this helps.
Spot on KG! The only thing I will chime in with - I fish a lot of super slow water this time of the year there- that is when you can stay small with midges and catch numbers. Once you move to water with any current where a fish will have to exert calories to feed, it seems they prefer the larger meal.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-16, 05:13 PM   #9
joshM
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Hey Josh,

Thank you for the very clear explanation! I always knew about the dual lure technique but this explanation really helped clarify it. Is your 18 midge floating on the surface of the water or is it also submerged but just not quite as deep as your bead head nymph? Thanks!
Old 12-09-16, 05:15 PM   #10
joshM
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Spot on KG! The only thing I will chime in with - I fish a lot of super slow water this time of the year there- that is when you can stay small with midges and catch numbers. Once you move to water with any current where a fish will have to exert calories to feed, it seems they prefer the larger meal.
Gotcha! Slow water, smaller lure. Faster water, bigger lure. I guess the fish are "thinking" opportunity cost; "if i have to work hard for my meal it better be a **** good one!"

Edit:
Didn't realize Dam n was a word worthy of being **** out haha