NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-13, 11:30 AM   #1
oldgold
Native

Default Elljay River Suggestions

I rented a cabin this weekend for my Mom's 60th birthday. We decided on Sliding Rock Cabins in Ellijay because they are ALL pet friendly cabins.

I was going to try to fish the Ellijay River for a couple of hours, we are staying not too far below where Whitepath Rd crosses the river. Any suggestions on if the fishing is decent? Which flies to use? Would be greatly appreciated. It has been a while for me since I have had the opportunity to go after trout and I have never fished the Ellijay River before.
oldgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 11:42 AM   #2
driftwood
Native

I could be way off here, but I don't think the Ellijay river holds fish year around. If I remember correctly they only stock it once or twice during the Spring at the bridge where the river turns into the Coosawattee ,and the local corn-chunkers will pretty much pick it dry within a month. I am pretty sure the river gets quite warm during the summer so it can't handle a thriving population year around and would probably be desolate right now. But this doesn't mean you aren't in a good area. The Toccoa river is only about 20-30 minutes away and that would be my preferred destination this time of year. I am not sure if the creeks out that way are seasonal, so be sure to check the regs. Enjoy the mountains!
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 11:42 AM   #3
Native, formerly mwmclaughlin1908

hey there,

My wife and I have used Sliding Rock as well many times when staying in that area for the same reason. We have always been happy with them. As far as the Ellijay River goes, I am not sure that there is any public stocking that goes on durinig DH season but some of their cabins are on a stretch that is privately stocked. I have caught a few fish but it's definitely spotty at best.

Do you know if the one you rented is one of their one's on stocked water? If you want to, feel free to shoot me a PM. I probably know which cabin you rented and what stretch you are on and might be able to help from there.

If the water you are on is not stocked, their is no shortage of good fishing opportunities just a short ride from where you are staying.

good luck!
Old 01-07-13, 11:55 AM   #4
oldgold
Native

The lady at Sliding Rock said it was stocked by the DNR, and USED to be privately stocked by Sliding Rock Cabins, but became too expensive. She may or may not know what she is talking about though on the DNR stocking it. Unfortunately, I won't be able to leave and go fishing at a different river. All I will have time for is hitting the river right next to the house. If it was not a "Mother's Birthday Party" weekend, I would probably try to get a place on Dukes and fish 8 to 10 hours straight.
oldgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 05:06 PM   #5
zug buggin
Native

If there has been stockings in the past there could be some large Browns hiding in some holes that have never seen a Woolly Bugger. The Bass and Bream should be there also. If thats all you have time to fish you should fish it, you might be surprised. One things for sure if you don't go fishing you won't catch anything.

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane
zug buggin is offline   Reply With Quote