NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-18, 06:08 AM   #1
Charlesarp7
Stocker

Cool Newbie - DH

Hey Everyone,

Just a little intro...I just moved into a place right on the hooch. I believe I am in between Cochran Shoals and Paces Mill. Can see the river from my window. I have always been a bass fisherman with a spinning rod/baitcaster....this fly fishing game is all new to me.

I took a casting class at Fish Hawk last Saturday to start getting the basics down...have been practicing every day.

I want to get into the river this weekend and give it go. I have gold bead nymphs with a 9' 5wt rod/reel. Does anyone suggest picking anything else up fly wise? I have a moderate size wooly bugger as well. How many flies should I realistically be taking with me?

Any additional tips or advice that would help? Does it take a couple days for the trout to start hitting once stocked?

Also, if there are any experienced guys....or gals....our there that would take a rookie out sometime I would be happy to compensate. I own Legion Landscaping out of Kennesaw and would even trade doing work for your time and frustration getting me started!

Look forward to hearing from everyone

678-773-9170
Charlesarp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-18, 06:14 AM   #2
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

http://www.georgiafishingbooks.com/gadh/overview.php

...here...this may help...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-18, 08:32 AM   #3
Steve Hudson
Hall of Fame Member

Default Glad to have you join me on the water!

I'll be happy to have you join me on DH (now I've just got to finish all those honey-do's). Drop me a PM with your contact info.

Thanks!

Best,

Steve
Steve Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-18, 08:36 AM   #4
Dave375
Native

I recommend signing up for the drag free drift clinic Saturday morning at the fling where you will gain a few new skills and get to practice them on the water. Then hit the DH near your house Saturday afternoon.
Edited to add; take Steve up on his offer
Old 11-02-18, 09:12 AM   #5
Trout Hunter 18
Native

I am rookie to DH also and doing the class Big T is doing also. Question regarding DH. Even though it is small is Smith Creek stocked with large brown trout also. Wanted to catch one of those in a DH stream.

Also for Chatooga how far do you have to walk from parking to get to the DH area?
Trout Hunter 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-18, 11:34 AM   #6
Brotherbear
Native

Gold bead or cone head on that Wooly Bugger and let her rip.
Old 11-02-18, 11:55 AM   #7
txc35
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Hunter 18 View Post
Even though it is small is Smith Creek stocked with large brown trout also. Wanted to catch one of those in a DH stream.
Helped DNR stock Ami yesterday and John Lee told us that Smith received a nice collection of 18" browns. Should be fun on tight water.
txc35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-18, 11:58 AM   #8
txc35
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesarp7 View Post
Hey Everyone,

Does it take a couple days for the trout to start hitting once stocked?
Helped DNR stock Ami yesterday and 15 minutes after we finished I, the half-baked fisherman, felt like a hero. Fish on every cast when I was swinging a partridge and orange. Dumb fish make me a better fisherman. Go early, go often.
txc35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-18, 12:14 PM   #9
splatek16

If it's like last season and this year's regular stocking, be prepared (5x tippet) for some big'uns!

My advice is based on what I was told and what worked for me at Smith, Ami, and downtown:

- if they are fresh, use bright junk (egg, squirmy/san juan/wormigon, mop) in pink, red, chartreusse
- as they get smart change the color of your junk to more subtle options: chartreuse to green, pink to red or orange or tan...
- as they get even smarter fish to them with the bugs that are present; i.e. flip some rocks. But by this time, they'll be about ready to stock again...

I had the best luck at Ami and Smith, personally. The Ami, however, might be the most slippery place on the planet.
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-18, 01:31 PM   #10
Steve Hudson
Hall of Fame Member

Default To learn about Georgia DH...

...let me humbly suggest my book GEORGIA DELAYED HARVEST TROUT GUIDE. It covers all five of Georgia's DH streams and includes abundant info on the how, where and why of fishing each one of them. I'd recommend it even if I hadn't written it!

In addition, there's an entire chapter on the Chattahoochee DH in the book CHATTAHOOCHEE TROUT.

Also, FISHERMAN'S GUIDE TO UNICOI STATE PARK includes a chapter on the DH portion of Smith Creek, and FLYFISHING GEORGIA'S TOCCOA RIVER includes a similar chapter on the DH portion of the Toccoa.

These are all available from many NGTO sponsors or from our friends at Amazon, and signed copies are available from the ChattahoocheeMedia.com webstore. I think that Alpharetta Outfitters may have copies available at the Fling too.

Thanks!

Best,

Steve
Steve Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote