NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Salt Water Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-18, 08:11 PM   #1
Dylar
Native

Default Stand Back! There's a Hurricane Coming

With Category 4 bad news barreling toward the Carolinas, I've been worried that salty thing might become inaccessible for a while. A friend of mine down in the SC Low Country has been after me for months, trying to get me in on a special mission of sorts. Truthfully, I viewed the project with considerable skepticism, and it definitely had the smell of a wild goose chase about it. So, I've been holding out for perfect conditions: clear skies, flat calm swell, no wind and big pushing tides.

Today, the magic convergence occurred, and I made ninja run down late last night so we could do it to it bright and early. We were on the water before the sun was up, and at our first drop by the time it peeked above the treeline. Conditions were as advertised, but as I feared, our intended quarry was nowhere to be found. We burned daylight and petroleum distillates all morning to absolutely no result.

By lunchtime, with the foul stench of skunk still clinging to the boat, we decided to take up a side quest and started chasing the birds. It was the right choice. We quickly stumbled on huge shoals of false albacore, and there ain't nothing wrong with watching line peel off a reel at 35 or 40 miles an hour. If you've never had a go at these beautiful little a** kickers, they're about the most excitement you can handle with an 8wt in hand.

After playing with the bonita, we decided to give it one last go at locating our true prey. As luck would have it, we stumbled on a huge pile of them tucked in on the lee of a sandbar. I farmed my first shot, and when I got a second shot, the fish spit the fly within 10 seconds. Eventually, a third shot rolled around, and this time, the fly disappeared into an open maw, and the hook went in clean. The battle was well and truly on.

It's all real. Everything you've heard; it's all true. You have to experience it to truly believe it, but these fish make war, not love. By the time I brought the fish to boatside, I was so exhausted it was almost more than I could bear simply to lift a phone and snap a pic while my buddy revived the fish. Now, several hours later, my biceps and forearms keep spasmodically cramping even as I type this. Mission accomplished!

Cheers y'all!

Dylar

Last edited by Dylar; 09-10-18 at 11:29 PM.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 11:10 PM   #2
djangofly
Native

Awesome! I assume you switched to something a little heavier than the 8 weight for the tarpon??
djangofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 11:28 PM   #3
Dylar
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by djangofly View Post
Awesome! I assume you switched to something a little heavier than the 8 weight for the tarpon??
12wt for the heavy lifting.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 07:15 AM   #4
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

That's a beast for sure!

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 07:40 AM   #5
groundpounder
Hall of Fame Member, Former Director

Bucket list stuff right here!
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 10:39 AM   #6
Stinkbait
Native

What a day!
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 05:48 PM   #7
stodgeball
Native

Those bonita sure are purty and that tarpon

Awesome report!
stodgeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 08:48 PM   #8
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Yep, epic days for sure. I'm still looking to get a red on the fly, bonita and poon are yet to make it to the bucket list.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 11:49 PM   #9
Alexander.Foti
Native

Awesome read and pics. Thanks for posting!