NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-18, 12:27 PM   #1
JCinGeorgia
Stocker

Default Banner Elk/Boone area

I am heading up to the Banner Elk/Boone area in a few weeks and was hoping to fish a few mornings will my wife sleeps in. Does anybody have any experience with this area? Any recomedations on where to go would be appreciated.
JCinGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-18, 07:51 PM   #2
JD
Native

The area around where you are going is high mountain water, but it is affected by hot weather just like everywhere else. Tons of small creeks in the area but difficult to impossible to give info on them and if you are going when the heat is still on it would not help you anyway. Think about heading over to Tennessee and look at the South Holston or Watauga tailwaters. Check out Foscoe Fly Fishing Company, they can give you some local advice.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-18, 09:15 PM   #3
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Boone/Banner Elk

Check with these folks and get some local info. I do not head that was often but in my area Brevard/Hendersonville/Asheville we have had a lot or rain this summer, especially early this summer and our streams are in very good shape.

Due South Outfitters
(86) Fishing Charter
2575 NC-105 Suite 60 (828) 355-9109
Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM Mon

Appalachian Angler Fly Shop
(5) Fishing Charter
174 Old Shulls Mill Rd (828) 963-5050

Watauga River Fly Shop
(12) Fishing Store
5712 NC Highway 105 South (828) 963-5463
Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM Mon
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 11:45 PM   #4
Dylar
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
The area around where you are going is high mountain water, but it is affected by hot weather just like everywhere else. Tons of small creeks in the area but difficult to impossible to give info on them and if you are going when the heat is still on it would not help you anyway. Think about heading over to Tennessee and look at the South Holston or Watauga tailwaters. Check out Foscoe Fly Fishing Company, they can give you some local advice.
Everything in the Boone area is over 3k in elevation, and average daytime highs are 5-10 degrees cooler on average than SW NC (Asheville/Brevard/Franklin area) in the summer. Its also been a cool, wet summer throughout the NC mountains. With the exception of the most heavily sun-exposed stocker streams in the lower valleys, water temps in the Boone/Blowing Rock area have remained in the ideal range this summer. Heat stress isn't an issue this year.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 11:50 PM   #5
Dylar
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinGeorgia View Post
I am heading up to the Banner Elk/Boone area in a few weeks and was hoping to fish a few mornings will my wife sleeps in. Does anybody have any experience with this area? Any recomedations on where to go would be appreciated.
Depends on the sort of fishing you want to do.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote