NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Fishing Tips and Techniques
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-18, 02:55 PM   #1
muddy waters
Native

Default Techniques for a 5’6” 3wt?

I’ve had a CGR glass 3wt for a couple years now mostly for fishing dries in small water for bream and stockers. It’s got a super slow action and is shorter than my ultralight spinning gear so it doesn’t throw anything much bigger than a size 10 and struggles with longer leaders.

Are there any other techniques that I could use with this thing other than small drys midges and micro streamers? Better yet do y’all think there’s any niche for it in the hooch from a boat?
muddy waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-18, 03:25 PM   #2
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

At 5 1/2 feet long, it is what it is man! The shortest small stream rod I own is a 6 1/2 foot bamboo and it too is limited in what it can toss. A 5 1/2 foot glass 3 weight is not something I would consider very useful fishing big water like the Hooch.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-18, 03:31 PM   #3
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Buck nailed it. At 5'6" it's a niche rod. Small rhododendron choked streams, possibly overline it with a 4wt line. It should be great for what its designed.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-18, 05:28 PM   #4
Dylar
Native

The best technique for a rod like this is to roll it up in the sock, put it back in the tube, and list it on Ebay for the next sucker to buy.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-18, 03:27 PM   #5
muddy waters
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnpreacher View Post
Buck nailed it. At 5'6" it's a niche rod. Small rhododendron choked streams, possibly overline it with a 4wt line. It should be great for what its designed.
You bet it is. There’s nothing better for casting under overhanging trees and precision at short distance. I guess I’ll just have to accept that it doesn’t have a place in the boat and make more time for creek fishing.
muddy waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 07:50 PM   #6
jonmo
Native

5'6 3wt glass is a bit unusual, but will work fine in certain situations. I still have a Fenwick Fenglass, FF535 (5'3 5wt, circa 1972) that I am very fond of, but also recognize it has certain limitations. I also have a 5'9 4/5 wt boo (pseudo Banty) that is best used in a similar fashion. I love them both in tiny, overgrown tribs, and also in the hood pond for bream. I wouldn't bring them out on a larger river (Hooch)..Don't get rid of the rod, just understand where/when it can be most effective - not to mention just plain fun.

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 10:17 PM   #7
Brotherbear
Native

Do not believe half of what you read. I have broken the 2# mark several times with my TFO 1/2 weight with BVK Zero reel. 1 weight furled leader 3' length. snatch a whisker off a cat at 30 paces.
Thanks Watkins.
Old 10-09-18, 11:39 AM   #8
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Best rod I ever owned was a 4' 10" 4wt cane rod. I probably caught more fish on that rod in a year than I have with any of my others. It is definitely a niche rod though...for the smallest of creeks.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote